• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Crockett & lowe

Kelly

master brummie
please could anyone help me part of the building where my other half works used to be owned by a company called CROCKETT & LOWE in NELSON STREET ,they would like to know what the company did and when as we have tried to find out but as of yet nothing
from kelly

They were pattern-makers for the foundry and other industries. I thought they were still strding.

Big Gee

I started work as an apprentice Pattern Maker at Crockett & Lowe Ltd in Nelson Street in January 1961, not long after I started I moved to another of Crockett's factories in Broad St, after a few years we moved over the road to Bishopgate Street where I stayed till 1969, Bill Crockett had numerous factories all over the West Midlands but I am almost sure his company doesn't exist today.
I would love to hear from any of my fellow workmates who also worked there.

Slightly off topic, but a friend of mine from George Dixon Grammar school, Andrew Crockett, was I believe the son of the owner back in the late 1960's. His dad used to drop him off in Rolls some days. Lost touch with Andrew after school days.

Slightly off topic, but a friend of mine from George Dixon Grammar school, Andrew Crockett, was I believe the son of the owner back in the late 1960's. His dad used to drop him off in Rolls some days. Lost touch with Andrew after school days.
Hi Harry, Yes I know of Andrew Crockett, he was the son of Bill Crockett who was my boss, when I was an apprentice I went to there house with one of the other pattern makers to put up a new fence in there back garden, I remember meeting Andrew & his Brother there one day, they were only about 10 & 12 at the time, Andrew took over the running of the business when his Father died, I also remember when Bill bought his Rolls which I think was red, all the workforce where outside drooling over it, when I worked there they used to live in Fitzroy Avenue in Harborne.
Cheers
Gwynfor

Hi Harry, Yes I know of Andrew Crockett, he was the son of Bill Crockett who was my boss, when I was an apprentice I went to there house with one of the other pattern makers to put up a new fence in there back garden, I remember meeting Andrew & his Brother there one day, they were only about 10 & 12 at the time, Andrew took over the running of the business when his Father died, I also remember when Bill bought his Rolls which I think was red, all the workforce where outside drooling over it, when I worked there they used to live in Fitzroy Avenue in Harborne.
Cheers
Gwynfor

Hello Gwynfor. I'm pleased to see that my memory was correct and yes, the Rolls was red. I distinctly remember Mr. Crockett pulling up, just outside the entrance to George Dixon School at Five ways. Naturally, several of us where very impressed. The passenger door opened and out climbed Andrew. I think he was a little embarrassed at that moment, but fielded questions throughout the day about the car and his dad. if I remember correctly, we, in the metalwork department at school had a visit the Crockett and Lowe. I hope Andrew is well and enjoying life.

Hi my name is Richard Downing, I worked at Crockett and Lowe as a Wood/metal Pattern maker in Birmingham, all the patterns were for different car company's like RR, Jag, Lotus, this was from 1960 to 1966,
Then Pitt and Dickson ( Walsall ) from 1966 to 1970.

Good day my name is Richard Downing and I started my apprenticeship with Crockett and Lowe 14 January 1961, I worked at three of his places one that backed onto the canal near city center, one on Broad St, and the head office, Bill Crocket was very good to me he even helped me get a house to live in,
I also remember he had a burn hole in the back of his raincoat even though he drove a RR.

Back