• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Criminal Records

DAJ

knowlegable brummie
I am trying to trace information relating to a relative who might have a criminal record, but I am getting different information regarding how long records are withheld. I thought it was 75 years, but has the timescale changed?

Thanks in anticipation.

Not sure if this answers the question or not. National Archives at Kew :

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-11_18-8-43.png
    upload_2018-3-11_18-8-43.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 30
Thanks Janice, my problem is that there are two men of the same name 5 years apart so I can't tell which man it is without any further personal information. This means a visit to TNA or payment - as I'm helping someone else I was hoping to avoid this.

Thanks Janice, my problem is that there are two men of the same name 5 years apart so I can't tell which man it is without any further personal information. This means a visit to TNA or payment - as I'm helping someone else I was hoping to avoid this.
Just saw this thread. If the offences were committed in Birmingham, some sort of record may held at the Police Museum. Just before Christmas I was in touch with a very helpful lady there named Corrinne Brazier. Try her, she may be able to help you.

Thanks jmadone, I met Corinne at the meet-up last July and she came do a talk for us last month. I will get in touch with her as you suggest.

Who can advice me about researching the Criminal record of a Reginald Harry Allport, born 1884, married Edith E Robertson in 1915 in Dudley.I can see a record in Criminal Registers on Thegenealogist.com but I cant afford a Diamond subscription just for one search.He was discharged from the King's Own Scottish Borderers on 31/05/1916 with note AKA Rogers.

Attachments

• Allport R H Military Card.jpg
    Allport R H Military Card.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 15
There's a possible record on findmypast - lists him as Harry or John Henry or Harry or Reginald Harry - Enderson or Rogers or Allport.

Not sure if the subscriptions are more reasonable.

And anybody help me with finding an article(s) about his 1916 Court Case(s) in Newport, Mons and Monmouth please. In one he is charged with abandoning his family, one is for bigamy, (as refered to in article sent from The Scotsman).His real name is John Henry Rogers but he might have used:-Henry Rogers, Reginald Harry Allport, Harry Allport, or Harry Enderson.

I don't have a subscription to the British Newspaper site but you can search for free and I found this:
article about Newport Bigamy Allegation in Western Mail Thursday 5th April 1917. (John Henry Rogers).

Back