• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Criminal record verification help

GNewbold

proper brummie kid
Hello all,
Im looking into William Ganley b1867/8. I have him with his parents (James and Ellen) in 1881 and 1891 census at 17 court 7 house (milk street????) and 5 house 5 court Upper trinity street respectively. Where I need some points is verifying if 19/20 year old William in 1886 was tried for manslaughter of Mary Ann Murphy. Basically any tips on verifying if this is him? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• BL_0000033_18861129_027.pdf
    586.9 KB · Views: 18
William was on trial in November of that year, and acquitted. Details of trial in Birmingham Daily Post, Nov 29, 1886.

William was on trial in November of that year, and acquitted. Details of trial in Birmingham Daily Post, Nov 29, 1886.
Thanks - I have seen that. Im trying to ascertain if my William (the one living with James and Ellen) is the same William as reported in the press and the criminal records.

Can't see that it could be anyone else, your William Ganley appears to be the only one of the right age and locality.

Can't see that it could be anyone else, your William Ganley appears to be the only one of the right age and locality.
I thought so but wondered if there was something to prove it either way.... Im. not sure my mum will be too pleased by this but at least I can show her a photo of him from the police record.

Can't see an address mentioned in your attachment which may have given more proof.

Can't see an address mentioned in your attachment which may have given more proof.
I looked in all the newspaper articles I could find on findmypast that contained Williams name but didn't find anything useful. how big could the area of been at this time? I might just have to accept that its really likely to be him but won't ever know for sure, Thanks for your help.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I thought so but wondered if there was something to prove it either way.... Im. not sure my mum will be too pleased by this but at least I can show her a photo of him from the police record.
when researching our family ancestry i always say we have to take the rough with the smooth...i have and i know many others who have...i still find it fascinating though and very often the only photos we may find of our ancestors is through the criminal records...i found one of mine a couple of months back

lyn

Last edited:
when researching our family ancestry i always say we have to take the rough with the smooth...i have and i know many others who have...i still find it fascinating though and very often the only photos we may find of our ancestors is through the criminal records...i found one of mine a couple of months back

lyn
indeed. It is quite exciting to have a story to tell, even if it isn't a happy one. now only if I could find his brother... I started on him in the hope he would cross paths with my great great grandad....

The story is repeated in a number of newspapers around the country and in one - Gloucestershire Echo, 6 Sep 1886 - an address is mentioned - 8 house, court 2 Adderley St, which I'm sure you're aware is next to Upper Trinity St.

If this address is on the birth or baptism of his brothers - Thomas 1884 or Charles 1888 - then that would be confirmation, though I'd still say it was him even if it's not.

The story is repeated in a number of newspapers around the country and in one - Gloucestershire Echo, 6 Sep 1886 - an address is mentioned - 8 house, court 2 Adderley St, which I'm sure you're aware is next to Upper Trinity St.

If this address is on the birth or baptism of his brothers - Thomas 1884 or Charles 1888 - then that would be confirmation, though I'd still say it was him even if it's not.

Thanks. Upper trinity street is in my list of addresses, just need to see if the timing matches. Thanks again

Back