• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Crematoriums

N

Neville Philpott

I have just found out that before a cremation is carried out a Doctor has
to sign off that the deceased, well, actually is, if you see what i mean.

Has anyone else ever heard this?

Whenever anyone dies you have to have a certificate from the doctor to arrange a funeral.

When my mother died it was expected and the doctor had been in attendance every day and we only had his signature to arrange the cremation.

Unless i am very much mistaken, and i may be, this is a procedure at the crematorium before the service takes place.

I believe it happens out of sight of everyone with the exception of the
on duty Doctor and the staff preparing and performing the cremation.

It is not therefore normally witnessed by any of the mourning party.

The question is, has this always happened and the general public
aren't aware of it, or has it been recently introduced and if so when?

I am sure that for a cremation, 2 doctors are required, one to certify death and the other to confirm (usually at the funeral directors) that the person is dead.
There is no need to do anything else at the crem

Yes that is so. Two signatures required prior to arrangements being confirmed. Both off site. The coffin is sealed before being taken to the crematorium. It remains sealed at the crematorium and it is not permitted to open it. All cremations take place the day of the funeral. Ashes are available the next day (sometimes working day) ---they need to cool overnight, metal items are removed and ashes are then ground to a powder . All ashes are kept individually and the name is always associated. They can be taken away or laid to rest on site by being buried-they are not normally scattered these days. Don't be alarmed by some of the make believe stories you hear about what happens remains are treated with dignity and respect. No its not my job past or present but based upon arranging family funerals and knowing an undertaker!!!

What is the best way to search Birmingham crematorium records? My Grandfather died in Highcroft Hospital in 1969 and lived in Bromford. My Grandmother died at an address in Hall Green in 1974.
I suspect my Nan was cremated at Yardley but no idea about my Grandad. I'm going to ring Yardley but wondered if there's a general database which I could search.
Thanks

What is the best way to search Birmingham crematorium records? My Grandfather died in Highcroft Hospital in 1969 and lived in Bromford. My Grandmother died at an address in Hall Green in 1974.
I suspect my Nan was cremated at Yardley but no idea about my Grandad. I'm going to ring Yardley but wondered if there's a general database which I could search.
Thanks

same here janice....always found yardley very helpful and if they are not too busy when you phone they will check for you while you wait...if you email them with your enquiry and they have who you are looking for they will also email you a plan showing where the grave is..i have my nan..grandad and gt grandad at yardley in a family plot..

lyn

Your Grandmother who died at an address in Hall Green in 1974 could have been buried or cremated at the Robin Hood cemetery and crematorium. This is situated between Streetsbrook Road and Olton Road in Shirley/Solihull. I definitely know of people who had lived in Hall Green but were sent to the Robin Hood cemetery or crematorium on their death. Dave.

I live in Spain and have attended several cremations here. I don't know if it happens in the UK but the one I attended a few weeks ago was "open coffin. Before and after the service people could look at the deceased in the coffin. Unusual to have it held on a Sunday.

froth i wonder if perry barr is run by birmingham city council...got a feeling its not

Perry Barr is not run by the council (not sure why). Their staff are helpful. Also the site only has cremations and these are burial records.

from what i can see on the website it says records go up to 2014 ..i have checked for 2 cremations that i know of in 2010 and 2011 at sutton crem and neither are coming up..having said that i guess most of us would be searching for much older ones that this...it does say on the site that the burial and cremation records are always updating and for the more recent ones its best to contact them direct....having said that maybe its only burials at the min as i cant find a 1984 cremation at yardley but i have found 3 of my rellies burials there from the 1940s

Last edited:
Lyn - it might say cremations but every search I have done has only produced a list of burials. I assumed cremations would be added later. I know the library only has burial records.

Back