• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Creation of the West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive

Heartland

master brummie
The Buses in the West Midlands County were generally amalgamated into one fleet with the WMPTE logo on each bus. The former Birmingham fleet numbers were retained as were those acquired from Midland Red. All others had the fleet numbers amended to include a suffix letter

Coventry Y
Walsall L
West Bromwich H
Wolverhampton N

Initially there was an extremely diverse group of vehicles in the combined fleet, which gradually were replaced by modern vehicles. The depots were also reduced in number.100222.jpg\

This 1976 image shows 2979 on the 9 service travelling up Corporation Street where the trams now run. This image shows a busy thoroughfare, a somewhat different view to what can be seen today. The No 9, as other buses, does not pass along Corporation Street now

100285.jpg

At New Inns, the Crocketts Road Terminus of the 214 had been a Midland Red route, but became part of the West Midlands. The buses now have returned to private ownership and as minibuses turn off from Crocketts Road and head onto Watville Road instead.

316.jpg

A former West Bromwich Corporation bus 256H on the 30 service at Walsall

Although I left the Midlands some time before the PTE (in 1954) I never had interest in the PTE or its successors.. Likewise when Devon General became NBC my interest stopped with DG.

If I remember correctly the West Midlands Passenger Transport Authority/Executive was formed in 1969 and took over the corporation buses in Birmingham, West Bromwich, Walsall and Wolverhampton. Coventry was not included until 1974 when the West Midlands County Council was formed. Then at a date I would have to look up those Midland Red services falling wholly within the WM County were also taken over leaving the Midland Red with a big hole in the middle of their map.

Although I left the Midlands some time before the PTE (in 1954) I never had interest in the PTE or its successors.. Likewise when Devon General became NBC my interest stopped with DG.
Always liked the Devon General open topper 12 service when on holiday in Paignton back in the late fifties early sixties. Never the same when we moved to Torquay 40 years later when operated by Stagecoach.

Another bus at the New Inns, Handsworth, passing one that had broken down. The New Inns apart from having the Modland Red services to Smethwick had the 71 service that turned around there and the 72 that turned at the West Bromwich Albion Ground. These services were also replacements for former tramways and the New Inn was the terminus of the cable tram prior to that.

100286.jpg

The Handsworth trams were replaced by buses in 1939 by the buses - a joint operation on most 71 - 79 routes with West Bromwich Corporation. West Brom's neighbour, Walsall, ran trolley buses and West Brom was rather keen that these routes should also be trolleybus operated. However big brother Brum had other ideas and so diesel buses were the norm.

Disposable camera still issued to me in 2004 when I worked for Truronian here in Cornwall as mobile phone evidence not then accepted as evidence.

The Buses in the West Midlands County were generally amalgamated into one fleet with the WMPTE logo on each bus. The former Birmingham fleet numbers were retained as were those acquired from Midland Red. All others had the fleet numbers amended to include a suffix letter

Coventry Y
Walsall L
West Bromwich H
Wolverhampton N

Initially there was an extremely diverse group of vehicles in the combined fleet, which gradually were replaced by modern vehicles. The depots were also reduced in number.View attachment 133116\

This 1976 image shows 2979 on the 9 service travelling up Corporation Street where the trams now run. This image shows a busy thoroughfare, a somewhat different view to what can be seen today. The No 9, as other buses, does not pass along Corporation Street now

View attachment 133117

At New Inns, the Crocketts Road Terminus of the 214 had been a Midland Red route, but became part of the West Midlands. The buses now have returned to private ownership and as minibuses turn off from Crocketts Road and head onto Watville Road instead.

View attachment 133119

A former West Bromwich Corporation bus 256H on the 30 service at Walsall
Some Crackin' pictures. Thanks.

Disposable camera still issued to me in 2004 when I worked for Truronian here in Cornwall as mobile phone evidence not then accepted as evidence.
Hi nickcc101, this was issued to me around the same time as you. Luckily, I never had cause to use it.

Hi nickcc101, this was issued to me around the same time as you. Luckily, I never had cause to use it.
Used mine once when some plonk drove out of a side road without looking left and collided side on to me. Full load of School children in an almost new Dart but luckily no one was hurt.

I remember before the the change over from local corporation buses to WM in 1969 there was an open competition to design the new logo. The winner was announced in the Evening Mail. I always admired the proud Birmingham coat of arms that sat above the radiator on the old buses. I remember that shortly after the changeover these were roughly ripped off. I wonder if any escaped the scrap heap and are still around?

I remember before the the change over from local corporation buses to WM in 1969 there was an open competition to design the new logo. The winner was announced in the Evening Mail. I always admired the proud Birmingham coat of arms that sat above the radiator on the old buses. I remember that shortly after the changeover these were roughly ripped off. I wonder if any escaped the scrap heap and are still around?
There are still quite a few around with enthusiasts and collectors, and of course the restored buses that carry them.

CoA grille badge .jpg

Just looking at third photo in post one, No 30 bus, and wondering if brakes had failed as there is a chock under the offside front wheel. Or was that an old fashioned wheel clamp ????

Just looking at third photo in post one, No 30 bus, and wondering if brakes had failed as there is a chock under the offside front wheel. Or was that an old fashioned wheel clamp ????
Wheel chocks were a legal requirement to be carried on PSVs, and conductors were required (supposed) to place them under a wheel to prevent the bus rolling away. Many did not bother, but this must have been a concientious one - or perhaps there was an inspector lurking nearby, checking up!

Back