• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Crane Moor Street Nechells

M

michele clough

Does anyone have any pictures or memories of this street please?
Anything at all would be appreciated.

Hi Michele

Cranemore Street ran from Trevor Street to Cattells Grove, unfortunately like most of Nechells it is no longer with us. It's not an area of Nechells I knew well but I managed to find a couple of photos and the map will help you to locate it's position. Just click on the images to enlarge them.

Attachments

• cranemore st.jpg
    cranemore st.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Nechells Cranemore Street 1970.jpg
    Nechells Cranemore Street 1970.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Nechells Cranemore Street.jpg
    Nechells Cranemore Street.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 92
Hi Michele

Cranemore Street ran from Trevor Street to Cattells Grove, unfortunately like most of Nechells it is no longer with us. It's not an area of Nechells I knew well but I managed to find a couple of photos and the map will help you to locate it's position. Just click on the images to enlarge them.

Hi Phil.
Thank you so much for your information.
I lived at number six, from memory, i believe the corner shop on the left was an outdoor. because of the paint factory i suffered from breathing difficulties, and spent a of of time in convalescent homes in the West Country.

Could you please tell me where you accessed the map from please.

Hi Phil, Is that your signature on the wall behind the mini in the third picture. :p

Jim

Although I may have spent some time around the area of Nechells Park Road. I can't ever remember being in Cranemore Road. If I had of been it would have been for something more interesting than scrawling my name on walls and most likely of the opposite gender to myself.

The again for your help, I've been looking for ages and got nowhere.

Michele

That's what we all do best on this forum, help people to get in touch with their past.

Hi Phil.
IS is it possible to have abit of confusion here with cranemoor street nechells rather than cranemoor road nechells
As i have cranemoor street nechells; which i have taken from directory book
And its according to John Tomlinson, s Map of saltley in1760 crane moor was in saltley.
Above the river Rea and just below Washwood Heath. This location is confirmed by a map of 1889
Which indicates that Arley Road saltley was Cranemoor Lane ---- although officially the name had been changed
Two years previuosly. Across the rea from this spot was cut cranemoor street Nechells ,

Michelle,
I lived many years in Mount Street, which runs parallel to Cranemore Street and had several school friends who lived there notably the Haycox family Arthur was in my class right up to when we left school in 1953. The paint works you mention was Postans paints in Trevor Street and yes it did give off a lot of nasty fumes. At the other end of the street was Smith, Stone & Knights waste paper mills.
Bryan.

Hi Michelle. I lived at 22 Cranemoor Street all through the 50's. Family moved to ward End in 1961/2 when I was 11. Remember playing amongst the paper bales in the paper mill and the stench from the paint factory at the bottom of Trevor Street being enhanced by the lovely aromas from the chemical works at the bottom of Cattells Grove at the other end of the street. Attended Eliot Street infants and primary school from 1955/6 to 1961/2. Geoff

Hi
My family name is Shakespeare. We lived in 7/22 Cranemore Street until I was 18. It was a terrace of houses running down to the canal. Accessed via a wide opening between 22 and 20. Our houses backed onto the paper mill and were owned by them. 3 up 3 down - with outside loo in back yard. We were a family of 8 (6 kids) and our playground was the streets around us. On one corner of the street was the "outdoor" where we bought or weekly treats of pop and crisps. On the other end of the street was a corner shop where we bought our ice lollies. Some family names I remember are Mosely, Marmion, Lions, Gilchrist.

Hi
My family name is Shakespeare. We lived in 7/22 Cranemore Street until I was 18. It was a terrace of houses running down to the canal. Accessed via a wide opening between 22 and 20. Our houses backed onto the paper mill and were owned by them. 3 up 3 down - with outside loo in back yard. We were a family of 8 (6 kids) and our playground was the streets around us. On one corner of the street was the "outdoor" where we bought or weekly treats of pop and crisps. On the other end of the street was a corner shop where we bought our ice lollies. Some family names I remember are Mosely, Marmion, Lions, Gilchrist.
i remember the shop.on the corner of cattles grove. cranemore st. 1948 to 1959. we plade in the smelly:mask:
chemical works.and try'd to keep out the way of the security guard we called pc none:)

i remember the shop.on the corner of cattles grove. cranemore st. 1948 to 1959. we plade in the smelly:mask:
chemical works.and try'd to keep out the way of the security guard we called pc none:)
Ah Cattles Grove (couldn't remember the name). Knew a family who lived up there, name of King. On the corner of the grove and Mount street was a shop where we got most of our groceries.

Hi Michele

In the second picture there is a gap between 2 houses. This was called the opening which lead to 10 terraced houses and then to the canal. I lived with my family at No.7. The houses backed onto the paper mill and a path ran past all the houses and separated their gardens from the house. My address was 7 back of 22 Cranemore Street - written as 7/22 Cranemore Street.

Hi Michele

I had to friends,who i live there, one was Alan.and the other was Edwin. wonder what become of them.

Attachments

• cranemore st.jpg
    cranemore st.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 17
Hi Phil.
Thank you so much for your information.
I lived at number six, from memory, i believe the corner shop on the left was an outdoor. because of the paint factory i suffered from breathing difficulties, and spent a of of time in convalescent homes in the West Country.

Could you please tell me where you accessed the map from please.
Hi. I appreciate this post is several years old but just stumbled across it whilst doing my own research on family who I have found a census that tells me they lived at number 6 cranemore St! Their surname name was Linforth. It would have been long before you lived there. I wonder if you managed to find out anymore info and if number 6 is in fact in the photos ?

I think it is possible that no. 6 is the second house in the second photo of post #2. As you can see from the map below (1950) no. 2 is on the corner and is slightly larger than the other houses and there is no no. 4. The gap in the houses also appears to be in the correct spot and the other corners seem to have normal width houses...

0 - Cranmore Street.jpg

Sorry MWS I must disagree. Was about to post. If you look at the photo you will see that after the first six houses, the houses are slightly set back. This is not present on he east side of the map, where no 6 is. However it is shown on the west side at the other end, which places the end house in the photo being no 71

I think it is possible that no. 6 is the second house in the second photo of post #2. As you can see from the map below (1950) no. 2 is on the corner and is slightly larger than the other houses and there is no no. 4. The gap in the houses also appears to be in the correct spot and the other corners seem to have normal width houses...

View attachment 185568
Wow thank you so much. This was my great great grandparents house

Sorry MWS I must disagree. Was about to post. If you look at the photo you will see that after the first six houses, the houses are slightly set back. This is not present on he east side of the map, where no 6 is. However it is shown on the west side at the other end, which places the end house in the photo being no 71
I see what you mean on the map

Yes, you're right Mike. I can just make out the low wall in front of them now. Thanks.

View attachment 185568
I'm not sure Mark, on the image in post #2 the second block of houses is set back which gives the impression it has been taken from Cattell's Grove, although I have to agree on the image it does look a bigger property whereas on the map No. 71 doesn't.
Aerial view from 1946 attached.

Attachments

• CRANEMORE-ST.jpg
    CRANEMORE-ST.jpg
    935.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back