• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Craftinwoods shopfitters

Hi Geff,not a lot but they were still at 172,Ashted Row describing themselves as "expert shop fitters" in 1949,but gone by 1968

Colin

Thanks Colin for your reply, I served my time with them in the 40`s and have enjoyed woodwork ever since,even now in my 80`s. They were the best, I think they went out of business because they were to good and would not lower themselves to take up with veneers and "Formica" all they
ever worked with was solid hardwoods and real french polishing. The world moved on and they wanted none of it. thanks again
GEFF

Geff we used to hear the stories of our lost craftsmen all the time, we don't hear much now because most of them have gone. It is so sad I remember my grandmother having some lovely shiny wooden furniture. Here is a photo of two childrens chairs that have been in our family for generations. I don't know how old they are they belonged to my grandparents. I am sitting on one in my avatar, my sons loved them and now they are constantly in use by my three year old grandchildren.

Only just seen this thread whilst browsing.
When I was an apprentice signwriter in Stafford St., Craftinwoods used to use us for any signage they needed, they were indeed a wonderful firm and always insisted on the highest quality workmanship.

Back