• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cradley Heath Railway Station

Mark Tooze

master brummie
Cradley Heath Station was originally opened in 1863. The photos here were taken in the late 1970's to mid 1980's before, during and after the station was rebuilt.
The platforms were originally staggered - one either of the side of the level crossing and signal box. When it was rebuilt, both platforms went south of the level crossing.

Here are a few general views of the station showing the original layout:-
1673127939591.png
1673127975374.png
1673128126480.png
On this shot of the northbound platform, its replacement can be seen under construction in the distance:-
1673128079386.png
Could you find a more "Black Country" factory name than the one on the opposite wall?

In the booking office it did get a bit more interesting:-
1673128971521.png
1673128996055.png
1673129026713.png
1673129355571.png
There was a special excursion running to Torquay however:-
1673129085897.png
And as far as the old station building is concerned - the writing is literally on the wall (well the door...)
1673129310499.png

Not surprised when you see the state of the waiting room.....
1673129441167.png

Crikey this takes me back. In 1981, I moved to Cradley, and rather than drive to work In Birmingham city centre, I decided to travel in by train. A 15 minute walk got me to Cradley Heath station, and I probably did the journey into Brum for around four years or thereabouts. The old station looked a bit grim at first, but I saw its gradual transformation as I made my daily commute. I particularly remember seeing the copper roof being constructed on the new ticket office. Fascinating.

great photos mark...pity the old station could not have been used for something else ..has the signal box also gone

lyn

Hi Lyn; Someone once told me that the station was dismantled and moved to storage at the Black Country Museum for possible reassembly later. I have no idea if this was true - does anyone know?

Hi Lyn; Someone once told me that the station was dismantled and moved to storage at the Black Country Museum for possible reassembly later. I have no idea if this was true - does anyone know?
thanks mark..thanks to lloyd we know where the clock is but as for the actual station ive no idea...it certainly has not been reassembled at the black country museum...

lyn

Back