• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cox Street West - Balsall Heath

phil you can edit out your email address if you wish to do so or i can do it for you?

lyn

Thank you Mike for this interesting thread. Having unearthed my copy of my maternal grandparents Marriage Certificate, they married at St Thomas in the Moors Church on the 16th April 1927 and began their married life at 1 Herbert Place, Cox Street West. Their surname was Rowley and my grandfather was a sheet metal worker. It has been great to see this thread and despite the houses being in poor condition, have been able to picture where they would have lived. They moved in due course to 60 Grace Road near to Montgomery Street school, from where my mother and her sisters were evacuated to Pershore. In later years, the family lived in Mapleton Road, Hall Green, which at least still stands today.

Cox st west
Photo 14
Carrying on from a few months ago at #106, we turn the corner from Clevedon road into Cox St West. At the left is Royce car hire, though directories of the time list it as Bones private car hire, which can be seen better in the last shot in # 106. It is part of no 48, the first use of which recorded is as part of a glass warehouse . By the shape of the pavement in the 1890 OS map it was in fact probably an entrance at that time into which vehicles came. This has now been filled in to make an office. Just before WW1 no 48 was a mixture of a brush maker and Cox St West social club, while after the first war it was used by a printer, a cabinet maker and around 1967 the building was shared with a turf accountant by two tailors, Scotowicz and Betker. The four houses to the right were almost certainly built for residential purposes, although the one on the right (no 44) was used for a time as a shop. The left hand one (47) at the turn of the century housed a cycle enameller and a fishing tackle maker, while no 46 was used by a painter and decorator. On the far right Lincoln Street Motors (39-48) was a relatively new building built around 1960 on a site that had always had an industrial use, shoe rivet making being the most recent, this developing from horseshoe-making when the demand for these diminished. An iron kettle maker and a chandelier maker once also occupied part of the site.
Photo 15
When the photo was taken no 39 Cox St West was partly listed as being part of Lincoln St motors , but also by joiners Bowen & Deeley and a French polishing firm. In 1956 it belonged to physician & surgeon, but, for most of its life seems to have been a private residence.
Photo 16
To the left of the picture is a space. No 38 Cox Street West was destroyed by bombing in the war. The Solid Brass Ring Co. (no 37) had been doing business since the late 1940s, first describing itself as a curtain ring manufacturer and later a brass chain manufacturer. Around the time of the bombing which destroyed its neighbour it was a wholesale upholsterer and earlier, together with buildings either side, a garage run by William Hatfield. However, earlier incarnations had been the home of William Dawkins (1890-97), who first described himself as a photographic frame manufacturer, but later expanded this to photographic apparatus manufacturer, and from the end of WW1 up to 1932 no 35-37 were the home of Blackhams, brassfounders., and a part of this previous to this was Lycett & Co, brassfounders. Houses immediately to the right of it held many trades, often only for a year or so, including whip maker, window blind maker, leather boot lace maker, tinplate worker and tortoiseshell folder maker.

14B__Cox_St__West__west_side.jpg

15B_Cox_st_west_west_side.jpg

16C__Cox_st_west_west_sideA.jpg

Attachments

• 35173F64-971A-4892-AA39-6B34FF98BF93.jpeg
    35173F64-971A-4892-AA39-6B34FF98BF93.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
Hi ,
My Great Grandma and Granddad lived at number 30
James and Jessie Sadler .Both had lived in Inge Street and worked at the Hippodrome .My Granddad ,their son was posted to India in the army and then joined the Calcutta police so he could marry my Grandma .
They and my mother ,who was 8 and uncle ,who was 4 came to England in 1939 when my Great Granddad died and stayed for a few months in Cox Street West .It is lovely and sad to see where they lived and walked .
My mother believes that number 30 was bombed in the war and Jessie Sadler was re housed .She was back in India then .
many thanks

Hi ,
James and Jessie Sadler .Both had lived in Inge Street and worked at the Hippodrome .My Granddad ,their son was posted to India in the army and then joined the Calcutta police so he could marry my Grandma .
They and my mother ,who was 8 and uncle ,who was 4 came to England in 1939 when my Great Granddad died and stayed for a few months in Cox Street West .It is lovely and sad to see where they lived and walked .
My mother believes that number 30 was bombed in the war and Jessie Sadler was re housed .She was back in India then .
many thanks
Judith, thank you for a wonderful story!

Hello Folks

Does anyone know when Cox Steet West in Balsall Heath was built? We know The church St. Thomas-in-the-Moors, was started from the estate of William Sands Cox, Esq., in 1868 and finished in1883.

any help appreciated. Thanks
I lived in Cox Street West from 1964 until 1974 when we were moved as a family to Kingsheath, under compulsory purchase. I was a toddler to Young teenager….. i think it was all demolished late 70s… we lived next door to Mrs Kyte the little sweet shop, and Spencer the old scrap yard man was just up the road ….my dad worked at Mosley baths and my mom worked on gooch street …. All looks so different now

I lived in Cox Street West from 1964 until 1974 when we were moved as a family to Kingsheath, under compulsory purchase. I was a toddler to Young teenager….. i think it was all demolished late 70s… we lived next door to Mrs Kyte the little sweet shop, and Spencer the old scrap yard man was just up the road ….my dad worked at Mosley baths and my mom worked on gooch street …. All looks so different now
My mother-in-law's great grandfather lived and worked at 37 Cox Street West in 1881

Hi ,
many thanks
Judith, no 30 as far as i know, did not suffer any bomb damage, we lived there throughout the late fifties and left in late sixties. Your grandparents are the 3rd family, plus us , i have heard about who lived in this property . Have you seen the picture of the house..

Hi ,many thanks for your reply .I haven’t seen a good photo of the house .Do you have one by any chance ? My great grandmother ,Jessie Sadler moved out during the war .My mother who stayed there a few on this is now 90 ,she was only 8 then .

Does anyone have any photos of Cox Street West, Balsall Heath or thereabouts ? A lost street now I believe. Mum grew up there. Hardly any photos of the place.
Hi Almostjones. I grew up in Upper Cox Street when I was very young in the 1950s I used to play with a girl called Susan Jones just round the corner in Cox Street West. Fast forward nearly 70 years and I discovered while researching my family tree that her dad Ernest and my mom were cousins, and so Susan Jones and I were 2nd cousins. I have tried to contact both Susan and her sister but without success. I know it's 3 years since you posted this, but if you get this reply please message me.

hi mike could we have a map please showing cox st west and upper cox street...and could you mark out where ryland place was at back of no 5 upper cox st...thanks mike

lyn

Back