• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

"Cows don't graze in Brum

N

Nephrititi

Am I dreaming or did someone post a message re a book called "Cows Don't Graze in Brum".

Ive tried doing a search on the site but get a message saying words are too short (or something like that).

Surely I cannot have imagined it (or made it up).

Have even done a general search on Google and tried Amazon but nothing.

Fay

Fay,
I got exactly the same results as you. But, if they don't graze in Brum, they certainly do in West Brom where I took this photo.

Very droll Oisin (just joking)

The book is all about the "old days" in Birmingham, back to backs etc and I wanted to get it for my mother for Christmas.

I must have dreamt it - but why would I make up such a silly title.

Fay

Oisin
I live on a Farm and theres no Cows for miles around
Where can I get the stuff that makes their horns grow:D

Cows? Cows in Brum? Cows graze in Sutton Coldfield..certainly part of Birmingham..(for now anyway)

Eric

Thank you so much (I may have got the title slightly wrong but at least I hadn't imagined it).

Have just ordered a copy.

Kind Regards

Thank you Alberta.

Kandor you obviously don't read the words (like most men) - you said - and I quote - "Cows? Cows in Brum? Cows graze in Sutton Coldfield..certainly part of Birmingham..(for now anyway)

My message was - "Cows Don't graze in Brum".

Most men skip over the words and read what they want to read not neccessarily what they see.

I'm sure there were still cows grazing on farms in Brum when I left in 1959. There were still big areas of agricultural land (soon to be swallowed up) beyond Frankley and beyond Stechfrord and Hodge Hill. Also, nearer us, at Uplands Farm in Handsworth, and some still open country north of Handsworth Wood but south of the railway, skirting the river Tame.
Peter

Fay,
I got exactly the same results as you. But, if they don't graze in Brum, they certainly do in West Brom where I took this photo.

That'll be the 'Long Horns' of the 'Wassum' herd at Sandwell Valley? Fortunately, they are a very placid breed!

A few years ago my sister in law told me about the book "Cows don't Graze in Brum", I tried everywhere to get it, a very helpful lady in W H Smiths gave me the publishers name and telephone number, when I rang I was told you want to speak to old Mr Hasker. Well he was as broad a brummie as you could get, in his eighties and still going strong. It turned out that it was his own publishing business and he had done very well for himself. He said that he was brought up around Balsall Heath and went to Mary Street School (if any of you know that area, he said he lived nearly opposite the back gate to the school).

Back