• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cowper Street

A

aewayne

I well remember going to school from Guildford St, along Clifford St, down Porchester St pausing on the way at the sweet shop for a penny Vantas, a squirt of fruit flavour in a bottle topped up with soda water (i think) which you had to drink on the premises a fine start to the day at Cowper St school
A Wayne

I am looking for information about Cowper Street. I know there are references to a 'Cowper Street' on the forum already but I am not sure if this is the street I am looking for.

The address I have is; 1 Coleshill Place, Cowper Street in the district of St Mary's. Was the Cowper Street, Aston in the district of St Mary's?

Maps, photos would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

Below is a map c 1889 showing the position in red of Coleshill place in Cowper st

map_c_1889_cowper_st_showing_coleshill_place.jpg

MikeJee

Thanks for the map. This confirms that this Cowper street is the one I am looking for. Good of you to highlight Coleshill place.

Much appreciated.

Bob

Yes Moss , it must be Coleshill place, as it is the only one with a break in the houses on the left hand side (looking from the road), and no break on the right.

On the 1911 census my grandparents and six of their children including my mother were living at 10 Burton Place, Cowper Street, which I can see on the map, thank you.

hi bob..did you have rellies in cowper st....i have asked a couple of contacts if they have any pics of cowper st for you and me also as i dont have any of that street...ive got 9 to post taken in the 1960s just prior to demolision and a couple taken in the 50s...as with all photos we are so lucky to have them..will post them very shortly...:encouragement:

lyn

Last edited:
cowper st map.jpgas promised a few pics of cowper st...grateful thanks to john houghton for sending them me...

small map first....

Cowper_Street_Newtown_-_10-3-1967_c.jpgcorner with summer lane...the three horseshoes pub would be on the opposite corner..

Cowper_Street_No_34_-_15-1-1952.jpgpretty sure we have cowper st school on the left in which case this pic is looking towards newtown row

Last edited:
Back