• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cowper Street

Im looking for information about a fire/explosion on cowper street i have searched the web high and low on and off for around 3 years now and can't find anything. My nan was caught up in this explosion she said she was 11 at the time so that would make it 1962 i beleive it was an old coal yard a lady sent her daughter to the shop for some petroleum jelly covered my nans leg in it as it was burned dont have much more info than that
Hi Pauline, l‘m so thrilled to see these posts. For years I have also wanted proof about my explosion story ! I am one of the children mentioned in the newspaper report.(although they got our ages the wrong way round) I’m Linda and was 9 at the time. I remember car tyres flying around.We were thrown off our feet. We had cuts & grazes to our hands and legs and my mom was hit by a tyre, luckily not seriously hurt. I remember coming home from hospital covered in brown iodine.
I also went to William Cowper School. Absolutely loved it. The teachers were wonderful !

Hi Pauline, l‘m so thrilled to see these posts. For years I have also wanted proof about my explosion story ! I am one of the children mentioned in the newspaper report.(although they got our ages the wrong way round) I’m Linda and was 9 at the time. I remember car tyres flying around.We were thrown off our feet. We had cuts & grazes to our hands and legs and my mom was hit by a tyre, luckily not seriously hurt. I remember coming home from hospital covered in brown iodine.
I also went to William Cowper School. Absolutely loved it. The teachers were wonderful !
Hi Linda Pauline is my grandmother I set this up to get answers for her I'm as my childhood was filled with so many questions thank you for reaching out

On the 1911 census my grandparents and six of their children including my mother were living at 10 Burton Place, Cowper Street, which I can see on the map, thank you.
My grandmother lived (next door?) at number 8 Burton Place at that time, with her grandmother and aunt, both her parents had died. Just found this out from the 1911 census. Thank you for posting the map.

Back