• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

cowper st, bham.

Keith Mallett

Brummie babby
does anyone know where cowper street was ? can't find it on any A-Z maps i have. i think it might be somewhere close to lozells.
many thanks.
STEVE.
Cowper Street was between Newtown Row and Alma Street. There was a school called Cowper Street. My grandfather owned a shop on the corner of Newtown Row and Cowper Street called From Factory to Wearer [cutting out the middle man].

michael ullah

Brummie babby
i moved to 4 back of 38 cowper street when I was 4in 1953 and went to cowper st school then on to summer lane sec mod left cowper street when they redeveloped in early 60,s still think about those days and allway look at old pics from those days :)

michael ullah

Brummie babby
yes i remember some of the shops my mother very often took us down to new town for shopinf the one thing I do rmember well was the house that jack built and woolworths :)

Wendywoo

Hope its OK with Alf, but attached is the map you want. I can't be certain exactly which is no 8, but i think it is in red. Certainly, from the directories it must be that one or next door
Mike

My Mum was born at no 20 Ormond Street in 1931

michael ullah

Brummie babby
does anyone know where cowper street was ? can't find it on any A-Z maps i have. i think it might be somewhere close to lozells.
many thanks.
STEVE.
hi you will find cowper st halfway down summer lane crossing from left to right across summer lane bham 19hope that helps youi lived in cowper st and went to school their as well

changinman1

master brummie
Hope its OK with Alf, but attached is the map you want. I can't be certain exactly which is no 8, but i think it is in red. Certainly, from the directories it must be that one or next door
Mike

I wonder where 23 was then as my GG and GG lived there in 1891 according to census.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
reg have you read through the high street aston thread? some great new photos were posted some time ago posted click on link below...start from post 1 in case you miss some

lyn

Ozbrum

proper brummie kid
H
In the map below no 23 was the building in green

View attachment 148252
Hi Mike

Great map , the green highlighted building was where I was born.
Next door to what we called “ the mission” when I was old enough I used to climb over the back wall to go to Cowper street school .
Front house was my uncles house , Harry Murphy , we were up the entry at the back of him , Clayton’s

Either the red or blue highlighted was nans second hand shop ,
“ number 7 , grannies Murphy’s “

Ozbrum

proper brummie kid
Both my grandfathers lived in Cowper street , my two elder sisters and Brother and I all went to Cowper street school , as did my father .

Grandfather Clayton , lived in a back yard up towards Summer lane , he married a mrs. Conway in 1922 , both widowed , both with four kids each !
Grandfather Murphy lived further down the street towards New Town Row. Shown living with his parents

Albert Clayton