• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Covid vaccination process

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had texts yesterday inviting us to make an appointment at one of two clinics our doctors are holding on 20th and 21st Feb (Sat and Sun). I got straight on the phone and booked for both of us on the Saturday morning. Today my letter arrived in the post. I assume that earlier clinics are still dealing with the over 70s.

I'm pleased to report I had my jab on Tuesday afternoon the 9th. I didn;t feel anything and the staff at my doctors were wonderful. However, I didn't feel at all well on Wednesday, woke up shivering uncontrollably - yes I know its very cold, then I had pains across the top of my back and shoulders, later I was sick twice. On Thursday I was as right as rain and have felt ok since, and glad I had the jab, hope I get no side effects when I have my second jab. My son aged 62 but a diabetes 2 sufferer had his first jab on Friday, he lives in Beckenham, Kent.

Was ‘jabbed’ this morning. They ran out of AstraZeneca so had Pfizer vaccine. I was asked if that’s ok with me before having the jab. Having said that the person in front of me got AstraZeneca because she had allergies. So a stock must be held back especially for those people.

Was very well organised and on a large scale here. There are 5 drive-through bays, each car moving through at a rate of about 1 per minute. Lots of marshalls directing cars into the vaccination tunnel, then more marshalls to show you where to park for your 15 minute ‘rest’. All were very on the ball. Jab was noticeable but nothing to be concerned about.

67276A88-549E-4993-B7D6-508879638342.jpeg

One person had a reaction and immediately the marshalls blew horns. Then she was whisked off to a waiting ambulance. All very quick.

I was impressed, especially as I think this area is playing catch-up with supplies.

Viv.

Had our jabs this morning - AstraZeneca. At our own doctor's 5 mins up road. Well organised - appointment 9.45, no wait, went straight in front door, into a nurses room, jab and then out the back door. Told to wait afterwards before we drove home but, in spite of wait, I was making a coffee by 10.10. No second appointment yet - told to expect a text (which is what we had before making the appointment today). Not sure about all the stewards but some were St John's ambulance.

Was ‘jabbed’ this morning. They ran out of AstraZeneca so had Pfizer vaccine. I was asked if that’s ok with me before having the jab. Having said that the person in front of me got AstraZeneca because she had allergies. So a stock must be held back especially for those people.

Was very well organised and on a large scale here. There are 5 drive-through bays, each car moving through at a rate of about 1 per minute. Lots of marshalls directing cars into the vaccination tunnel, then more marshalls to show you where to park for your 15 minute ‘rest’. All were very on the ball. Jab was noticeable but nothing to be concerned about.

View attachment 153276

One person had a reaction and immediately the marshalls blew horns. Then she was whisked off to a waiting ambulance. All very quick.

I was impressed, especially as I think this area is playing catch-up with supplies.

Viv.
Did you remain in your car all the time?

What was the process. Drive up, stick arm out of window, jabbed and on your way?

Yes in the car the whole time Bob. Roll window down, and jab at top of arm. Bit like a drive-through McDonalds! Minimal contact with those carrying out vaccinations. There was one person in a hut alongside, obviously an administrator who typed in name and DOB. Once jabbed, given a card printed off on the spot with personal details, type of vaccine and date. Then was told next vaccination will be 10-12 weeks.

I forgot to say. The appointments were organised by my local GP surgery; a personal phone call a few days ago. The vaccination tents are situated just a little way down the road, next to an emergency treatment practice. There are close links between the two even pre-Covid. Saves going to hospital for certain treatments like xrays. We have a very good set up here and it might even be a model for other towns. The only problems have been to do with supply. One supply was sent to the wrong town miles away.

Viv.

Last edited:
Yes in the car the whole time Bob. Roll window down, and jab at top of arm. Bit like a drive-through McDonalds! Minimal contact with those carrying out vaccinations. There was one person in a hut alongside, obviously an administrator who typed in name and DOB. Once jabbed, given a card printed off on the spot with personal details, type of vaccine and date. Then was told next vaccination will be 10-12 weeks.

I forgot to say. The appointments were organised by my local GP surgery; a personal phone call a few days ago. The vaccination tents are situated just a little way down the road, next to an emergency treatment practice. There are close links between the two even pre-Covid. Saves going to hospital for certain treatments like xrays. We have a very good set up here and it might even be a model for other towns. The only problems have been to do with supply. One supply was sent to the wrong town miles away.

Viv.
WOW! Impressive.

Very impressed at the progress being made in vaccinating the general public in the UK. You put us to shame...and this is the so called 'New World'. The process is so slow here...we now hear that the over 80 crowd will be contacted by their own doctor regarding appointments for vaccination. This is due to the fact that the on line portal, which they've been working on ever since the vaccines were announced, is not going to be up and running any time soon. In the meantime, we have lots of maybe's...possibilities...could be's...should be's etc. We could learn a lot from you guys.
Dave A

Very impressed at the progress being made in vaccinating the general public in the UK. You put us to shame...and this is the so called 'New World'. The process is so slow here...we now hear that the over 80 crowd will be contacted by their own doctor regarding appointments for vaccination. This is due to the fact that the on line portal, which they've been working on ever since the vaccines were announced, is not going to be up and running any time soon. In the meantime, we have lots of maybe's...possibilities...could be's...should be's etc. We could learn a lot from you guys.
Dave A

I agree Dave the posts here are very positive, it is good to read your experiences. In Australia our vaccine runout has been slow but will start tomorrow for Aged care and disability workers and residents, frontline health workers, quarantine and border workers. Later in March the general public vaccinations will begin with over eighties.

Wendy

I agree Dave the posts here are very positive, it is good to read your experiences. In Australia our vaccine runout has been slow but will start tomorrow for Aged care and disability workers and residents, frontline health workers, quarantine and border workers. Later in March the general public vaccinations will begin with over eighties.

Wendy
I see that there are protests in Oz against vaccinations. I do not understand what the problem is. Vaccinations have been around for a very long time, so it seems to me that there is far too much misinformation around these days. I had to have a vaccination certificate before I could emigrate to Canada, maybe it was the same for you in Oz. In my area, we are in total lockdown, which has just been extended to mid March, so getting the jab is a must to maintain our sanity. Canada is under the radar most of the time so very little exposure to world news. My grumbling is minor compared to much of what is being said in the bigger picture.
Dave A

I see that there are protests in Oz against vaccinations. I do not understand what the problem is. Vaccinations have been around for a very long time, so it seems to me that there is far too much misinformation around these days. I had to have a vaccination certificate before I could emigrate to Canada, maybe it was the same for you in Oz. In my area, we are in total lockdown, which has just been extended to mid March, so getting the jab is a must to maintain our sanity. Canada is under the radar most of the time so very little exposure to world news. My grumbling is minor compared to much of what is being said in the bigger picture.
Dave A

Yes, unfortunately Dave there have been protest rallies against the vaccines. Sad really....because the more of us who have the covid vaccination that in turn helps protect others too, especially vulnerable people who are unable to have it for whatever reason.
Hopefully when the vaccination process is completed we have enough protected to be able to return to as normal a life as possible.
A surprise note is that our rollout of the vaccine started today, a day early so its a good news for us here in Oz. :)
Keep your posts coming about how your covid vaccinations went, it is interesting to hear, thank you.

Wendy:sun:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back