• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Covid testing process (lateral flow tests)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
This thread is in no way intended to offer ADVICE about testing. It is to record members’ experience of the process for lateral flow tests. This test is for those who have NO Covid symptoms. It will only tell you if you have Coronavirus now. It will not tell you if you’ve had the virus in the past.

Please note, the availability of testing and the process may vary across the country.

Viv

Last edited:
Yesterday, I registered for a test. This was for a lateral flow swab test. I have no symptoms.

I registered online (via the council) and was allocated a slot for today (Sunday). On arrival at the test centre there was quite a long, socially-distanced queue outside. The army were advising people in the queue about registering your personal test identification barcode. Help was available from army personnel to do this.

Once inside the building, after sanitising hands, we waited in another queue going through the building. The queue moved slowly but regularly until reaching the cubicles for testing.

Army personnel managed the whole process and offered advice or help at every stage. In the cubicle you’re advised to blow your nose first. The test - performed by yourself - involved swabbing around the tonsils, and with the same swab, swabbing inside the nose. The swab was handed to army personnel behind a protective screen. I think they were testing samples on the spot.

After leaving, I awaited the result. It came through within one hour via mobile phone text.

Thankfully negative.

The process is straightforward. The army managed it admirably and were very, very helpful. A little waiting around beforehand. So be prepared, despite having an allocated time slot.

Viv.

Last edited:
Seeing adverts and government advice I ordered some lateral flow tests using the NHS app and noticed the app now has a page entitled 'Your Covid-19 Vaccine Record' showing dates and vaccine batch numbers. Previously I had to search my NHS accute short-term medicine records for this information.

Thanks OM. Shall look into that as my daughter’s expecting a baby and won’t be having the vaccination until after she gives birth. So this will be useful on a personal level, as well as for general public safety. Viv.

Seeing adverts and government advice I ordered some lateral flow tests using the NHS app and noticed the app now has a page entitled 'Your Covid-19 Vaccine Record' showing dates and vaccine batch numbers. Previously I had to search my NHS accute short-term medicine records for this information.

Thanks OM. Shall look into that as my daughter’s expecting a baby and won’t be having the vaccination until after she gives birth. So this will be useful on a personal level, as well as for general public safety. Viv.
just like the buses viv...we get none for ages then all of a sudden two come together...congrats to the family...x

Didn’t realise they were (relatively) easy to get hold of. Did the queue in Canterbury in the snow earlier in Jan and haven’t been tested since. So shall pop to chemist and go from there. Thanks for the info OM. Viv.

Last night, on one of the TV programmes, it informed that the variants are only found when random samples of positive tests the tests are sent to the Lab.

Didn’t realise they were (relatively) easy to get hold of. Did the queue in Canterbury in the snow earlier in Jan and haven’t been tested since. So shall pop to chemist and go from there. Thanks for the info OM. Viv.
yes viv just ask at your chemist not sure if all chemists are doing this but its worth asking...they asked did i want tests for the family

I went shopping to my local ASDA last Saturday week and there were two trailers in the car park and I was approached by a man and asked if I would like a Covid test and agreed, the first trailer took all my details, the 2nd gave me a test and rang me an hour later to inform me I was Negative. I noticed next day they were in our local park approaching people to take a test. Eric

The test kit I ordered yesterday (Sunday 11am) has just been delivered by Royal Mail (Monday 11.30am) ... almost as quick as going to a Pharmacy for one ... :)

I notice the kit was made in China ...:rolleyes:

It’s quite interesting how quickly you get used to doing these tests. We’re regularly doing these and find we’ve become quite adept at doing them. I’m regularly picking up packs of tests for us from our local chemist who seems overjoyed to offload as many kits as I choose from them.

Took us a while to realise there’s a little hole in the cardboard insert which is for resting your tester tube ! Makes testing much easier. You have to pull the whole cardboard insert out of the box to find it. Viv.

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
Having had my 3 jabs and lateral flow testing fairly often, I wondered about a Covid Vaccination Pass I might need.

So installed the NHS Covid app in my iPhone, ran it and a QR code image appeared. I then installed the NHS Covid Pass Verifier app in my iPad, pointed it at the phone image and a Covid Vaccination Pass appeared. I also printed a pdf paper copy ... just in case ... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back