• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Coventry Road Steam Trams

horsencart

master brummie
I hope this werks (sorry) Coventry Road Steam Tram Shed or Depot.jpgCoventry Road Steam Tram Shed or Depot.jpghopefully you should see a map of the Steam Tram Shed on the Coventry Road does any one have a better map as I would like to research it more, If you cannot see the map the scream you can hear is mine

Coventry Road Steam Tram Shed or Depot.jpgCoventry Road Steam Tram Shed or Depot.jpg
attachment.php

I can now see three of the little bleeders bugger I hate computers

Is this the same place as the bus depot on Coventry Road/Arthur Street?

OK i know where we are now, i believe the waiting room is still there opposite the park.

Can anyone confirm this?

Still there i see, incredible to think it has survived this long.

Particularly when there were plans to widen that section of the Coventry Road in the early 1950's.

They eventually built the Small Heath by-pass of course.

Presumably the block with the red roof was added later ?
Here's another view

View attachment 84890

I thought that the access point to the tramway depot was on Muntz Street, obviously it wasn't according to the map.

Would be nice to see a photograph of the place...

Hi Neville, was I right in thinking the single storey white building was the waiting room you mentioned ?

EDIT..answered my own question :)
Here is a better picture of the waiting room. It became the office of Clapshaw and Cleave, a firm that began making cricket bats in the early 1800's and came to Small Heath round about 1885.
Presumably the tram shed ? (is that the right word ?) was used as the workshop for Clapham and Cleave, as it is addressed as 598 Coventry Road (1936) They apparently made a wide range of athletic equipment and had a shop in Edmund Street in the city centre.
The building was used as a waiting room when the service only ran to the park.
The firms name was visible under the black paint but looks to have now been covered over.

Tram waiting room 3.jpg

Hello Lindyloo, Yes you were quite right, i have just found the same info as you.

The trams would only have run to the park at the time this was about as far as suburbia had got, beyond would have been open countryside.

QUOTE=lindyloo;481875]Hi Neville, was I right in thinking the single storey white building was the waiting room you mentioned ?

EDIT..answered my own question :)
Here is a better picture of the waiting room. It became the office of Clapshaw and Cleave, a firm that began making cricket bats in the early 1800's and came to Small Heath round about 1885.
Presumably the tram shed ? (is that the right word ?) was used as the workshop for Clapham and Cleave, as it is addressed as 598 Coventry Road (1936) They apparently made a wide range of athletic equipment and had a shop in Edmund Street in the city centre.
The building was used as a waiting room when the service only ran to the park.
The firms name was visible under the black paint but looks to have now been covered over.

View attachment 84902[/QUOTE]

I thought that the access point to the tramway depot was on Muntz Street, obviously it wasn't according to the map.

Would be nice to see a photograph of the place...

Hi Neville, Presumably the buildings with the red roof was built over the entrance to the depot ??

I will keep a look out for a photo.

Hello lindyloo, Yes i think you're right, as you say a photo would be useful...

Hello - can anyone tell me where the tram along the Coventry Road stopped when they got into town?
Advanced thanks,
Annie

Hi Annie,

The Coventry Road trams came up Digbeth into the Bull Ring and turned right into Moor Strert. I think that is where they stopped but I am not absolutely certain.

Old Boy

small heath park and tram terminus.jpgsmall-heath-park-entrance-lodge.jpgA couple of postcards one showing the waiting room and the other showing tram tracks turning very close to the waiting room

Back