• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coventry Road, Small Heath

This 1930s photograph shows shops on the north side Coventry Road close to the junction of Charles Road. The shop on the corner of the latter was that of Davis Bros., the drapers. Next door is a branch of the Home & Colonial Stores Ltd., provisions dealers. Next door to them was the fruit/veg shop of Henry James Lea. I am not sure what the makes and models of the vehicles. I do know, however, that my garage was probably built for the tiny saloon car in the middle of the photograph. I did try and put a car in my garage and did manage to shoe-horn it in. Of course, once inside, I could not open the door to get out!

Coventry Road - Henry James Lea.jpg

Very busy scene outside the church/chapel/hall. Policeman (right) seems to be eyeing up the furniture outside A.E.Haim (?)s. Looks about very late 1800s. Viv.

5AEBD937-0946-4ACD-BD87-8B792C30BCF6.jpeg

This 1930s photograph shows shops on the north side Coventry Road close to the junction of Charles Road. The shop on the corner of the latter was that of Davis Bros., the drapers. Next door is a branch of the Home & Colonial Stores Ltd., provisions dealers. Next door to them was the fruit/veg shop of Henry James Lea. I am not sure what the makes and models of the vehicles. I do know, however, that my garage was probably built for the tiny saloon car in the middle of the photograph. I did try and put a car in my garage and did manage to shoe-horn it in. Of course, once inside, I could not open the door to get out!

View attachment 142317
Look at the size of that extendable ladder. Also the angle does not meet current HS&E Requirements. I like him going up in his waistcoat and white shirt. I know OG is an Austin 7, but is the one behind a 'bullnose' Morris?...and what is that hanging down underneath it?

Bob

The angle for the ladder should be 75degrees, one foot away from the wall for every four foot of ladder.

Well, the poor devil up the ladder has a quandary. Does he keep the correct distance away from the wall (assuming he hasn't done so) or does he put the foot of the ladder in the roadway and risk getting knocked off the ladder by a careless motorist? :worried:

The lovely picture, post 23, is after `886 when horse drawn trams commenced to Small Heath and before 1907 when the route was electrified. I believe the constable has his eagle eye on the people selling things. making sure they are 'legit' I guess.
A similar, but not as nice, view, Apparently 1910.

1595944673802.png

Hi all. Regarding the ladder in front of the shops lets not worry about the height, what you must realise is its a "tie up" two ladders lashed together with sash cord to reach the required height they were in constant use during my youth in the decorating trade and were lethal.
all the best hewittbj39

Well, the poor devil up the ladder has a quandary. Does he keep the correct distance away from the wall (assuming he hasn't done so) or does he put the foot of the ladder in the roadway and risk getting knocked off the ladder by a careless motorist? :worried:
He will need to comply with NRSWA 1991, the signing, lighting and guarding section now Unit 1, used to be unit 2, prior to April last year. I kñow I can make life fun, Now let me thrill you all with ladder safety yes regular users are expected to have a certificate.

Bob

A postcard inviting potential customers to send in for their clothes patterns and styles. Is it Mr Lilly in the cart with his two dalmations patiently waiting underneath ? I’d guess this image to be around 1910. Viv.

2BF9053C-F276-429E-B5B3-64CF5B3DC363.jpeg

Very surprised to find that the buildings in this view are mostly still there. The nearest building still has its lovely decorative ironwork. Pity the shop fronts have changed with their line of awnings.

The biggest ‘then and now’ difference for me being, that little lad would definitely not be strolling leisurely across the Coventry Road today.

Sorry no date but must be early 1900s.

Viv.

C3BB3D4C-90FE-492B-BC93-44A05F54EBB2.jpeg

2C28AB9D-2A1A-4026-BA01-8C353325156A.jpeg

This photo is of Coventry Road at the junction with St Oswald’s Road. Although the ground floor frontages have changed from domestic to residential, there are still some recognisable features such as the gables in the roof of each property.

The 1913 photo shows the houses having front gardens, but today’s view tells us they were removed to convert downstairs to retail units. I wondered if you can see the demarcation in the paving bricks at the front of the property (ie where the gardens used to be). Presumably the owners still own that section of the pavement.

And another little boy roaming the streets - this time chasing the car !

Viv.

1CFC767C-CBB3-494E-B929-6E6F8F20ABA1.jpeg

6A34BFBC-8F61-48A8-ACC8-3FA563DD7C25.jpeg

Last edited:
Would have loved this draper’s shop on Coventry Road. Bursting with materials and ribbons. The shop is still there. Even the ghost of the large sign above the entrance can still be seen.

The Coventry Road road sign on the wall seems to have changed Viv.

2AACDD87-D2C3-4664-9722-1E222F1A9AA9.jpeg
4947A51C-4509-4224-9290-4A6AFD799166.jpeg

Attachments

• 1DD32AFE-2EE8-4966-9B92-76B09C54F4E4.jpeg
    1DD32AFE-2EE8-4966-9B92-76B09C54F4E4.jpeg
    773.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
The shops in the older photo looked familiar to me as being near to the gates of Small Heath Park. I remember going for ice cream cornets, after my Dad taking me to the park on Sunday mornings, from a shop there. About 1952.
Yes, the shop where you bought your ice cream cornets was Devoti's. The family also had a shop in the Bull Ring, opposite the Market Hall, if I remember correctly.
PA739

This view is opposite the park. There’s a sign on the wall two tram poles along on the left. Today’s view shows very faint marks of a ghost sign. Viv.

533481CE-49CD-439F-A694-5E04FD744FE7.jpeg3D0DCC3C-71E6-49AA-9958-BD7EAE522CF5.jpeg7455ECA3-F1DB-49FE-9740-5DFE631D29F5.jpeg

Would have loved this draper’s shop on Coventry Road. Bursting with materials and ribbons. The shop is still there. Even the ghost of the large sign above the entrance can still be seen.

The Coventry Road road sign on the wall seems to have changed Viv.

View attachment 168787
View attachment 168785
There used to be another fine drapers shop somewhere between the Coronet cinema and Muntz Street.It was double fronted and had an island display cabinet in the entrance way which meant that there were two ways round to the main entrance. It had one of those cash systems where the money was sent through a pipe system .

Back