• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coventry Road, Small Heath

SteveBland

Hello all,

I'm hoping to find out what happened to an area of Coventry Road and I would welcome any information or leads you are able to offer.

An area of Small Heath between the canal and what is now the ring road (A4540), numbers 27 to 47 Coventry Road, seemed to disappear between 1920 and 1922. Does anyone know what happened to them?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...2!3m1!1s0x4870ba74c11533bf:0x1bfaa430f8014004

The census of 1911 shows the houses, and back-to-back houses called 'Dunns Cottages' running alongside the canal lock. In 1911 this is shown as an area called Hay Mills.
The electoral roll of 1920 shows the houses, and the back-to-back houses called 'Brook Cottages'.

The 1922 electoral roll doesn't show them at all.

Coventry Road.jpg

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10098&ox=4646&oy=3116&zm=1&czm=1&x=344&y=207

I've had a search through the forum, and found information on other areas of Coventry Road, but nothing on this part. Any information gratefully received. I have very much enjoyed reading through the wealth of knowledge available on this forum.

Thanks very much,
Steve

I don't know exactly when the cottages were demolished.

I know that from the fifties onwards there was a garage on this site call Victoria Garage.

The site was bounded by advertising hoardings and a café fronting the Coventry road. A small recreation ground on the Watery lane side and the canal towpath on the other.

I may have a picture of the site taken in the 70's or 80's.

Hello Bob,

Very interesting information. It would be fantastic if you have pictures. Thanks for your help.

Regards
Steve

Waterl2.jpgwaterl3.jpg

Found a two more.

The first one shows the junction of Watery lane and Coventry road. Victoria Garage was on the left.

The second picture is looking down Watery lane towards the Coventry road. The (very) small recreation ground was on the left by the last advertising hoardings.

Bob

What would the two roads opposite the junction in the first picture be?

Back then it would have been Watery Lane dead ahead and to the left New Bond Street, and the photo would have been taken from Sandy Lane, not Watery Lane.

Hi SteveBland, this may be totally irrelevent to what you are looking for, but the area you have on the map looks like somewhere I looked into sometime back. The area was called Spring Vale and you can see information on these threads

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=42511&highlight=miles+street

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=42441&highlight=elm+grove

There is a comparison picture that I did on the Elm Grove thread (first link I think) that shows the Corporation Wharf on your map

Last edited:
Covroad1.jpg

This picture was taken in 1951. It is looking down the Coventry road towards the Watery lane/ Sandy lane junction.
The buses are travelling towards Birmingham city centre.
If you look past the last bus on the right, you can just make out buildings that might be the houses that stood where Victoria garage was or they might be the building next door which was the Birmingham Corporation refuse dept.

Hiya,
for some reason I can't open links but I live in Brook Cottages off the Coventry Road so interested to find out if the demolished ones were linked to mine in anyway.

I use to get off the bus down the Cov Rd pass the bus garage and a movie house on the right, going to Brum under the tunnel by the train station and walk up the hill on the left to Moseley Rd and get on the bus to go to Moseley Schoolof art. Seems there way a auto fix it shop under the bridge. this was in the 1940s during the end of the war. John Crump. Parker, Co USA

Funny how things come to mind. A few years later it seems that as you go under the bridge where the train station was as you bear right towards the bull ring there where a row of shops, amongst them was a STRIP JOINT or a bar where Ozzy Osborne once played, This would have been in the late 1950s. Am I thinking wrong on this? John Crump OldBrit. Parker, Co USA

John

You are not wrong, the club was The Daddy Longlegs later renamed the Dolls Club. One of the first euphemistically so called gentleman's clubs in Birmingham.

Cottagecrafter if you look at the top of this page you will see that site had been hacked so a lot of earlier photos have gone unfortunately.

May not be the same ones but although the electoral roll shows 'Brook Cottages' as missing in action I currently live in one!

Hello all,

I'm hoping to find out what happened to an area of Coventry Road and I would welcome any information or leads you are able to offer.

An area of Small Heath between the canal and what is now the ring road (A4540), numbers 27 to 47 Coventry Road, seemed to disappear between 1920 and 1922. Does anyone know what happened to them?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...2!3m1!1s0x4870ba74c11533bf:0x1bfaa430f8014004

The census of 1911 shows the houses, and back-to-back houses called 'Dunns Cottages' running alongside the canal lock. In 1911 this is shown as an area called Hay Mills.
The electoral roll of 1920 shows the houses, and the back-to-back houses called 'Brook Cottages'.

The 1922 electoral roll doesn't show them at all.

View attachment 95106

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10098&ox=4646&oy=3116&zm=1&czm=1&x=344&y=207

I've had a search through the forum, and found information on other areas of Coventry Road, but nothing on this part. Any information gratefully received. I have very much enjoyed reading through the wealth of knowledge available on this forum.

Thanks very much,
Steve

COVENTRY ROAD
Would you be able to pinpoint, on a map:
No. 44 (in the hamlet of Bordesley in the parish of Aston in 1871)
No. 40 (in the hamlet of Bordesley in the parish of Aston in 1881)
Any information on the type of property these were (eg shop) and what sort of neighbours there were.
Many thanks

Below is a map c1890 The numbering of the road had changed by then, but what was nos 40 and 44 in 1871 and 1881 are shown respectively in Blue and Green. Ignore the red markermap c1890 showing 40 and 44 Coventry Road.jpg

Back