• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Coventry Road, Small Heath

My Mother did a lot of dressmaking. She had taken night classes at somewhere in Jenkins St. We lived in Grange Rd not far from the cinema. We moved when I was about 6yrs old.
I remember Hawkins on the Coventry Road.... another branch in another fine building on Corporation Street became Hawkins Wine Bar.
Annie

Does anyone know the original purpose of this building on the Coventry Road at the corner of Henshaw St? I think this was a welfare clinic when I was a child and can remember going for supplies of orange juice and cod liver oil. That would be just after the war.
Well,that shot brought back memories. My mother used to take us there to get the orange juice for me and my sister. I was 6 years old (1956). I clearly remember standing outside with my 1 year old sister in her pram. I also seem to remember my sister was there for some medical checks.

Back