• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coventry road Police station.

I remember in the late fifties going to a birthday party in one of the four houses that formed part of Hay Mills police station. I think the boy had 7 or 8 brothers and sisters, and that at least one other family was as large. The house was on three floors, there was 4 p[olice flats in Kathleen Road as well

Does anyone know of or remember the above station. It was situated on the Coventry rd just past the airport heading out towards Coventry. It's now a hotel i believe it's called The Trident.

Thanks Robert.

Going back to the beginning of this post...(2009) Robert, I don't know if you ever found the answer to your question, but here is a map from 1954 showing the Police office you asked about... sorry it's so late !!!

1954 Police Office Cov Rd Elmdon.JPG

Going back to the beginning of this post...(2009) Robert, I don't know if you ever found the answer to your question, but here is a map from 1954 showing the Police office you asked about... sorry it's so late !!!

View attachment 91759
I may be wrong but that looks more like a Rural Police House or houses to me. Similar to the ex police houses in Hockley Heath Lindy.

Lindyloo the building shown on your map is located at the same spot where the Trident hotel now stands. wich i was told was a police station some time ago. Thank you.

Hi Bernard, It is as Robert says a Hotel now, but Robert, it is actually called The Tri-Star. It was once the site of Elmdon House Farm as shown on the 1972, map below and from other maps that I have looked at, I dont believe there were ever any other houses there.
To be attached in edit

1972 Police   Office Cov Rd Elmdon.JPG
1983 PO Repeater Station.JPG

1996.JPG

Ariel View
Now Tri-Star Hotel.JPG

Attachments

• Tri-Star.JPG
    Tri-Star.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 32
Sorry guys I could not attach the 1937 in the post in edit, but here it is

1937.JPG Tri-Star.JPG

1978 Tel Number1978 Tel Dir Tri-star.JPG

Ps You're welcome Robert

Last edited:
Robert, In the ariel view, it looks like the repeater station shown on the maps, is still there.
This is a side view.
side view repeater station.JPG

Robert my mom grew up in elmdon house Farm the tri star hotel was the police station and the farm was further down the lane behind the beacon she has a lot of memories of elmdon and pictures aswell

welcome to the forum tedyboy:)..we would love to see any old photos that your mom has...

all the best

lyn

Hi tedyboy thanks for the conformation, and yes we would love to see the photos.
My mum has now joined and will be sharing her pictures shortly, unfortunately the airport has now destroyed most of the real elmdon so these memories are all we now have. she also has pictures of the cock Inn which sit's under the holiday Inn car park .

My mum has now joined and will be sharing her pictures shortly, unfortunately the airport has now destroyed most of the real elmdon so these memories are all we now have. she also has pictures of the cock Inn which sit's under the holiday Inn car park .
My Great Aunt Nellie and My Grandma lived in Elmdon,in one of the houses just past the Cock on the opposite side.The row of houses were compulsory purchased by Birmingham council in the mid 60's and demolished for the runway extension,which wasn't completed for another 45 years ! I wonder if your Mom has any pictures of those houses ?

My Great Aunt Nellie and My Grandma lived in Elmdon,in one of the houses just past the Cock on the opposite side.The row of houses were compulsory purchased by Birmingham council in the mid 60's and demolished for the runway extension,which wasn't completed for another 45 years ! I wonder if your Mom has any pictures of those houses ?
I'll ask her but you do mean the cock Inn and not the clock inn

I'll ask her but you do mean the cock Inn and not the clock inn
The houses were after the Cock,on the other side of the road,but just before you got to the Clock..There was a row of about 12 pairs of 1920's semis going up the hill,a petrol station,post office,oh and "Ann's Pantry" cafe !..I think they were actually in Bickenhill,not Elmdon.

I lived in Elmdon House Farm through 50's and 60"s, my grandparents moved there in 1933 it was demolished by airport in 1971. I went to Bickenhill C of E school with others from Elmdon Lane, the police houses, the houses going up the hill on Coventry Rd then we would meet the lads from the Clock and all walk to school down Clock Lane. I loved Elmdon and am still in the area, a true Elmdonite as I jokingly tell my kids. Does anyone remember Bill Sargent's garage in Elmdon.

Back