• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coventry road Police station.

robert

master brummie
Does anyone know of or remember the above station. It was situated on the Coventry rd just past the airport heading out towards Coventry. It's now a hotel i believe it's called The Trident.

Thanks Robert.

I cannot remember a police station anywhere near where you suggest. If it ever was there it would have belonged to Warwickshire Constabulary.

The only Coventry Road Police Station that I know of was between Greenway Street and Green Lane near the Bl;ues ground. There was. of course, a station on Coventry Road at Hay Mills but that was always referred to as Hay Mills Police Station.

Old Boy.

There was a police station on the Coventry Rd, at the end of Holders Rd, Yardley next to Oaklands Park. That became a pub called 'The Old Bill & Bull'.

There was a large police box/office circa 1959 on the A45 opposite the turn off to go to Meriden & Coventry, but what ever it was it would belong to the Warwickshire police, who used MG? Sports cars to patrol. Len.

Last edited:
Ive just read part of a report regarding the airport exstention dated 1999,where it states, little has changed at the Elmdom terminal. On the north side of the A45 at Elmdom the police repeater station (old police office) has been converted into a hotel. I'm pretty sure this happened in the early 70s.

My dad was station sergeant at Small Heath Police Station (the one near Cattell Road and the Blues ground) until about 1970 when he transferred to Acocks Green. The next station out of town down the A45 was Hay Mills, a rather splendid edifice with upstairs accommodation for a few police officers and their families. This is, as was pointed out, The Old Bill and Bull pub. As for a police station in Elmdon, that I don't remember. I had my wedding reception in the Trident hotel in 1976 and it was definitely a hotel then. Having my reception in a police station would have been weird! (LOL!) :D

My dad was station sergeant at Small Heath Police Station (the one near Cattell Road and the Blues ground) until about 1970 when he transferred to Acocks Green. The next station out of town down the A45 was Hay Mills, a rather splendid edifice with upstairs accommodation for a few police officers and their families. This is, as was pointed out, The Old Bill and Bull pub. As for a police station in Elmdon, that I don't remember. I had my wedding reception in the Trident hotel in 1976 and it was definitely a hotel then. Having my reception in a police station would have been weird! (LOL!) :D

I worked at Coventry Road, Hay Mills, and Acocks Green Police Stations from 1967 to 1974. After that I was at the then new Bromford Lane Station (now closed) until I transferred to another Force area. I believe that the old Coventry Road nick was due for demolition in the 1930s but was cancelled because of the war. At Hay Mills, as you went through the front door, the 'office was on the left and a snooker room was on the right. Upstairs was Single Mens Quarters. Other linked houses were occupied police houses.

I dont know the police station, but I wonder if you can help me my gr.gr. grandfather was a policeman there. in 1871 he was a policeman at 3 Hick st. then he moved to Leopold st and then in the 1891 census he was at 391 Coventry rd, do you by any chance know if there is any old photo his name was William Mayfield, hope you can help
regards Heather

There was a large police box/office circa 1959 on the A45 opposite the turn off to go to Meriden & Coventry, but what ever it was it would belong to the Warwickshire police, who used MG? Sports cars to patrol. Len.

I think I remember seeing a Sunbeam Alpine, or possibly a Sunbeam Tiger, being used as a Police car on the A45 around 1968/69. I was told they needed them to catch the faster cars on the M45, Alpines werent all that fast iirc, but the Tiger with 4.7 litres seems a bit like overkill to me.

After that I was at the then new Bromford Lane Station (now closed)

Closed! I remember it opening. They had a 'key cupboard' which had been screwed to the wall behind the switchboard area. Every morning the cleaners would come in through the Public door, into the Private area, and then request key numbers (whatever.....). We never knew who was doing what so just handed them out as requested.

I put up with this for a few weeks and, then one weekend, brought in my electric drill.

The 'cupboard' got re-positioned where they could help themselves.

I dont know the police station, but I wonder if you can help me my gr.gr. grandfather was a policeman there. in 1871 he was a policeman at 3 Hick st. then he moved to Leopold st and then in the 1891 census he was at 391 Coventry rd, do you by any chance know if there is any old photo his name was William Mayfield, hope you can help
regards Heather

If I have misread your post Heather, I apologise, but I don't believe 391 was a station, Your William appears to have been living there perhaps as a lodger, his wife was Housekeeper to the Surgeon who lived there. 391 is also a long way from the Coventry Road Station that was being discussed and the Coventry Road is a very long road which I can vouch for because I live on it.
Is it a photo of 391 that you would like ?

001aa.jpg I think 391 would have been in the block of smaller buildings on the right of the picture, but I don't know if the buildings replaced other buildings similar to the larger ones further down the block.
If you google the address on Google maps, 393 is a Solicitors. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
If i understand it correctly the police station which became the old bill and bull public house was originally manned by the Worcestershire constabulary.

I would imagine that to be right Neville because that area at one time came under Worcestershire...but hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

My Father used to run a tobacconists at 389a in the 1930's, i believe that would be the property at the right hand corner
of your picture.

If I have misread your post Heather, I apologise, but I don't believe 391 was a station, Your William appears to have been living there perhaps as a lodger, his wife was Housekeeper to the Surgeon who lived there. 391 is also a long way from the Coventry Road Station that was being discussed and the Coventry Road is a very long road which I can vouch for because I live on it.
Is it a photo of 391 that you would like ?

View attachment 78859 I think 391 would have been in the block of smaller buildings on the right of the picture, but I don't know if the buildings replaced other buildings similar to the larger ones further down the block.
If you google the address on Google maps, 393 is a Solicitors. Hope this helps.

Here we have the main entrance to Hay Mills Police Station (the Old Bill & Bull) with the Worcestershire Council coat of arms over the doorway. Then just about a mile away on Acocks Green Police Station we have the same coat of arms signifying that at the time of building they were both in Worcestershire.

Attachments

• s Council Coat of Arms.jpg
    s Council Coat of Arms.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 45
  • s Council coat of arms (2).JPG
    s Council coat of arms (2).JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 44
It does make you wonder why the force thought they needed such a big station building, for what was at the time a semi rural area.

I suppose it could have been the division HQ.

hi neville
Many years ago i lived at 368 cov rd ;and the od orininale police station on cov , was further back down the cov just ps the grenway pub on the cov
and it had a archway to it and when you walked ito the arch way the reception was on your left of he arch it was a little office
when they demoed it and then thebill and bull was built whom is a very long in years as been there and a family friend of my wife and myself
for as many years i can recall; a great coupleand his family of kids ;carol and barry ran a great pub and i beleive according to my daughter
whom lives across the rd today from the bull says barry is living in spain and left it for the girls to run ;
yes it is a big house and pubfrom bottom to the top and behind ; a rather masive pub through outi know because that was my local for decades
and carol and barry learnt my wife the trade and put her up fopr a pub of her own ;
but getting back on track they built with in a new parade of shops years ago a little lock up station it looked like more of a shop than any think
which would have been a couple of hundred yards from whitmore street i think it was because of the foot ball louts on saturday
so they was on hand you mentioned a solictors on the cov do you mean the southall family ;on the corner of goldemnhillock rd
he was also a very good long standing friends of ours was this surgeon fellow acros the rdfrom the walfare centre of yesteryears
as our friend says why on earth did they build one in acocks green i also wonder as it was just as big if not bigger as they are not all that far apart are they best wishes astonian ;;

hi l lived in ada road from around 1963 , and the was a policeman who done his beat around the cattell road and he would eventually come to ada road and try and catch us playing football in the road , he was known as "Ken the cop" and l do know he used to stop at Meg Moulds shop on the bend on St Andrews road by the school crossings , does anyone else remember him , l alway wondered what happened to him , he had a trick of standing on your foot so you could'nt run away and l has a few clips around the ear off him because l carried on playing football in the road ,

Back