• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Coventry Road (arthur St) Tram/trolley/bus Garage

Arthur Street tram depot was built in 1906, so at 102 years old I'm not surprised it's a bit ricketty now. It was never particularly a safe garage, with its doorway on a blind bend. It's in an area which is seeing regeneration now, so I suppose new housing replacing it isn't all that bad. Shame, but I can't think of a suitable use for it as it is.

There were a small number of "suites" in the yard of the former garage today, so it may have a new owner/renter? the yard is now full of wood pallets, I wood still love to go inside and take loads of photos

welder, colin worked in the old bus garage when light and sound were in there, don,t know whether it was with kieth or some one else, dont know what he did there (apart from moan) :D

Tramcar 380 on the 84 route to city unloads outside the depot in this view that also shows Hancocks shop opposite and in the background, the Kingston Cinema.

Coventry Rd railway bridge with Arthur Street bus garage in the background, The Swan Hotel traffic roundabout, the Swan is top left, a trolly bus is leaving the time clock stop and traveling to the City. Len.

Nice pics Len, from a time when kids knew how to behave responsibly. Today the fence posts would be on the track to derail the next train.

welder, colin worked in the old bus garage when light and sound were in there, don,t know whether it was with kieth or some one else, dont know what he did there (apart from moan) :D

Ann, I well remember Colin working there. He was working for Keith Steele and Chris Cusak. I gave them the job! Plumbling, new concrete floors and several othe tasks were undertaken. Colin was very good at moaning about.....well, pretty much everything, but it was mostly tongue in cheek, I think.

Best regards, Ian.

Coventry Rd railway bridge with Arthur Street bus garage in the background, The Swan Hotel traffic roundabout, the Swan is top left, a trolly bus is leaving the time clock stop and traveling to the City. Len.
I remeber as a nipper train spotting, had a book with all the big ones in marked em off as I saw em. Anyone else did that. Lots of smoke as the train passed under us. John Crump OldBrit in Parker. Co USA

Sure do John, although I prefered to go under the viaduct in Lawden Road and watch the Great Western Kings, Castles, Halls, Manors and County class. Used to walk along the track from Arthur St / Cov Bridge toward Saltley Sheds....8A was the shed number from memory.

Sure do John, although I prefered to go under the viaduct in Lawden Road and watch the Great Western Kings, Castles, Halls, Manors and County class. Used to walk along the track from Arthur St / Cov Bridge toward Saltley Sheds....8A was the shed number from memory.
Anyone HAVE one of the books that you used to train spot with? Loved the old blinkers on the Royal Scotts etc, John Crump OldBrit Parker. Co USA

Suggestions please as to what this building was on the Coventry Road (corner of Arthur Street) ? Thanks. Viv.

image.jpeg

Another building worth keeping a watchful eye on. Looks to be deteriorating.

If anyone can help to replace lost images on this thread, that would be very helpful. Just let one of the admin team know. Thanks. Viv.

The Coventry Road tram depot opened in November 1906 for the Yardley, Bordesley Green and later on the Stechford services. Until Highgate Road depot opened in November 1913 the Stratford Road services were also operated from Coventry Road.
In 1934 trolley buses arrived to replace the tramcars - excepting those still needed (over 40) for the Stechford routes. The Stechford trams left after closure of those routes in 1948 and were replaced by diesel engined buses.
This was the state of play until 1951 when the trolleybuses were withdrawn when the depot became all diesel engined buses. The WMPTE closed the place in 1985 and was in use by a company called Light & Sound II understand.

This image of a Stratford Road service tram is for sale on eBay labelled Coventry Road Depot in 1909. Viv.

image.jpeg

That is an early picture of the city's tram system. Car 145 was no more than two years old. It survived until 1937 - 1939. It appears to be on route S: the system did not get route numbers until 1915 when the route became 18 and originally ran as far a College Road. The route was extended in 1928 to the city boundary with Shirley Tram route 21 (only to Fox Hollies Road) and in 1939 became bus routes 46 (ex tram 18) and 47 (ex tram 21). As the picture shows the services originated in Station Street. The was also, it seems, a route 20 from Station Street to St.John's Road. Bus routes 37/38 (formerly tram routes 17/19) were from Albert Street.

The routes 38, 46 and 47 should not be confused with route re numberings in the late 1960's which went to different areas. (38 to Yardley Wood/Priory Road, 46 to Queslett and 47 to Grovelly Lane via Turves Green (offshoot of route 41).

Back