• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coventry on Fire 1940

My mum mentioned several times how she had stood at the bedroom window in Quinton, crying as she watched Coventry being bombed and burning.
Sheri

Central News tonight at Six comes from Coventry, 70 years after it was set on fire by the German
bombers, I was ten years old but remember watching the whole sky on fire, BernardView attachment 60316
I also remember that night, we where sleeping in the car park at the Royal Oak Hockley Heath which we did most nights awaiting the all clear. The landlord would let us sit in the bar till closing time and then we would go out to the car.

View attachment 64138
THE MORNING AFTER.
Firemen sift through the rubble in Coventry after the massive air-raid of of November 1940. The city's 14th century cathedral was destroyed and more than 1,000 citizens were either killed or seriously injured.

A very early memory for me,but I do remember it,I was staying at my grannies in Overdale Rd.Harborne,and the people were all out looking at a red sky in the distance."They are having it bad in Coventry",was what I heard, but they were probably thinking thank goodness it's not us.

I remember it well, Stood on the front steps at my home on Moat Lane, Yardley, saw the reg glow, will never forget that, John Crump

Back