• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Courtyards and yards of brum

nos 3.4 5 and 6 court 7 cheapside..circa 1905

View attachment 116090

court in cromwell st..duddeston circa 1905

View attachment 116091

yard in milk st 1950s...demolished 1955

(Pic2 (missing) court in cromwell st..duddeston circa 1905
IMG Photobucket won't release this pic2 at the moment ... I'll get it when they are not looking ... :D Oldmohawk)

img934.jpg

back of 131 fazeley street.. circa 1905

View attachment 116092
My dad would have lived in a similar house to this one. 10 BK 79 Vicarage Road

hi folks thought this thead may compliment dennis williams great passages and alleyways thread...back to the days when homes were just not fit for habitation by todays standards...its all to do with social history of course and thats the way it was and folk knew no different..life has evolved at lot since those days and who knows what it will be like in a couple of hundred years time...

lyn..

View attachment 116086
Chapel Terrace Saltley Road
View attachment 116087
View attachment 116088 View attachment 116089
This is great. I am researching Barr Street and this is so close. Thank you

Hi Les,

Welcome to you, I have to admit that I have never seen a photo of Dolobran Road let alone any of the back courts off it, though I did know somebody who lived in one of the street fronting replacement houses. I am posting a plan showing the back courts on Dolobran Road to help you locate the court you want exactly.

View attachment 128794
i lived at 2/37 Dolobran Road prior to moving out in 1971

Great pictures Lyn they remind me of the homes my aunties lived in in Pope Street not far from the ice rink. Most people only either had front or back of house but one aunty had the back and front. Picture 4 is sad with the 3 boys makes you grateful that that our parents that came from that life gave us a better life. Still I know that was the times hard times for the working class.
I note with interest your list of family names. My grandmother's maiden name was Martha Holtham although I am not certain of the spelling she was from a family of 7 siblings but was born in St Johns Worcester. I am not sure when she moved to Birmingham but her three daughters were born there they lived in Ladywood her married name was Wilcox

Right in the city, safe for kids and a community spirit. With a few tweaks of course.
Like a layer of breeze blocks between houses, more toilets and three floors.
Better than living in a flat.
Special thanks to Mikegee for the brilliant deduction in finding Carey's court , they should build some more.

My Gran & Grandad brought up 11 Children in a courtyard house in Gerrard St & my Gran was fortunate that she never lost one. They moved too a bigger house with an attic in Fentham Rd Aston where they all grew up.
Seeing your photos just brings back memories for me. My parents, brothers & I, moved to Hereford as Dad worked for Henry Wiggins and was relocated in 1964, but we use to live at 6/177 Icknield Port Road & Firs Farm Estate Castle Bromwich.
Athough I love it here Brum will always be home.

These are great photos of Brum. I was born in the Sorrento Hospital and1of my brothers in Dudley Road hospital we now live in Hereford.
We lived at 6/177 Ickneiled Port Rd off Dudley road which was 6 houses either side a path 3 box outside toilets each side which you shared with your neighbour & 2 wash houses to share. Mom use to get up at 6 to put boiler on for washing when it was her turn to use.
Tin Bath in front of fire, water heated on tiny stove in poky kitchen. We left there about 1958 to move into flat, which was luxury, on the Firs Estate Castle Bromwich.

hi folks thought this thead may compliment dennis williams great passages and alleyways thread...back to the days when homes were just not fit for habitation by todays standards...its all to do with social history of course and thats the way it was and folk knew no different..life has evolved at lot since those days and who knows what it will be like in a couple of hundred years time...

lyn..

View attachment 116086
Chapel Terrace Saltley Road
View attachment 116087
View attachment 116088 View attachment 116089

These are great photos of Brum. I was born in the Sorrento Hospital and1of my brothers in Dudley Road hospital we now live in Hereford.
We lived at 6/177 Ickneiled Port Rd off Dudley road which was 6 houses either side a path 3 box outside toilets each side which you shared with your neighbour & 2 wash houses to share. Mom use to get up at 6 to put boiler on for washing when it was her turn to use.
Tin Bath in front of fire, water heated on tiny stove in poky kitchen. We left there about 1958 to move into flat, which was luxury, on the Firs Estate Castle Bromwich.
the strange thing was no 2 courts were a like all over brum central there was hundreds of them

I spent some time in a back house in Vicarage Rd Aston (1/128) when I left the RAF in '56 till we bought our own house in Erdington in '61, but at least we all had gardens albeit small. Eric

After Dad left the army after 22 years, we stayed briefly with an aunt in Saltley (Devon St) handily next to the coking plant of the gas works. When maisonettes on Blossom Grove, Firs Estate became available, we moved there. At that time the Bham racecourse was operational, so we could see Lester Piggott if we had binoculars. From the grime of Saltley to clean air!

yard in digbeth..circa 1910...ive looked closely and on the right it looks like there is a pile of the steel bands that were around the large barrels...could be they made them here...

View attachment 116096

court no 7 william st..circa..1905

View attachment 116097

View attachment 81862
not a court but I bet they all lived in one
They might have been poor children but they look happy nowadays children have sour looking faces because the mobile phones glued to their heads are doing something to their brains.

Hi my grandma grandad my Dad they lived in Thomas street my dad was born there 1back 29 Thomas street in 1922 they lived there up in till 1930s Family is Routley .
Hi Tena, I suspect it was probably as shown on the map but not numbered. Was your dad/granddad called John? listed as 1, Court 3 Thomas Street in 1920

Attachments

• 1bk29.jpg
    1bk29.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 10
Back