• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Courtyards and yards of brum

Courts 14 and 15 at corner of Bordesley St and Milk St. Unfortunately no date.
Looks spacious, plants in boxes, and ivy growing up the walls of the house next door. Outhouses look interesting, wisp of smoke out of chimney.

L_Crts14_15_MilkSt.jpg
There is a photo of this court taken from a different viewpoint in post#101 and a view of Milk Street through an opening. The chair is in both photos.
Bordesley Street Birmingham__PNG 2_ possibly milk street.jpg
Another Bordesley Street with bigger blooomers the rear of my nans house on the right side of the entry facing Milk Street flats
index.php

Last edited:
Yes, I had looked at maps and wondered about it but with Berniew saying his nan lived in the right house in his photo and the view through the opening showing the Milk Street flats I suppose he knew.
Presumably he would have commented about the court numbers if they were wrong. It is a puzzle !
The chair and it's position confirm that both pics are the same court.

No photos opposite, in this thread, I am sorry to say:
Lots here in this thread about Farm Street:

Great photos. I wasn't from Birmingham but I recall staying at a house 2back of 22 Upper cox Street Birmingham. Any one know of this place? Are there any photos?

No photos to my knowledge, but you never know what might turn up. But a map below shows position of it in red. Interesting that it is described as 2 back 22 Upper Cox St, as the normal listing would be 2 back 23 Upper cox St

map c1950 showing no 2 back 22 Upper cox St.jpg

A courtyard picture and it must be 17 Crt Hospital Street because the cameraman chalked the address on the house wall.
View attachment 133628
I would love to talk that kid third on the left he just looks like he has a story to tell all these years later, great pics but what a wake up call for me this is not the Brum I grew up in but for many and some members here it was, my pop started out life in a court I never knew till we talked about this site, only then did he tell me the bath tub hung on a nail outside the kitchen door, thanks folks for the education and the pics please keep them coming.

Someone who lived in 1 Court, Stafford Street liked plants. Toy buckets hanging from the door and window frames hold plants. The upper window ledge also crowded with plants.
View attachment 134022

A view of 1 Court, Stafford Street from the other end.
View attachment 134023

More plants around a mangle in 11 Court, Sheep Street.
View attachment 134024
These are great pictures. I have family who lived at 13 Court 4 House, Sheep St, Birmingham in 1887. Is there any photos of this address? Also is there any way of seeing who lived here at this time 1887? I know my great great grandfather lived here and his son Charles but doing my family tree there is question over whether we have the right wife.

These are great pictures. I have family who lived at 13 Court 4 House, Sheep St, Birmingham in 1887. Is there any photos of this address? Also is there any way of seeing who lived here at this time 1887? I know my great great grandfather lived here and his son Charles but doing my family tree there is question over whether we have the right wife.
Unfortunately no photos of 13 Court Sheep St and the nearest I know of is 11 Court Sheep St from post #1036 which you may have already seen.
oldmohawk :)
More plants around a mangle in 11 Court, Sheep Street.
index.php

Last edited:
A cameraman had arrived in 6 Court, Newhall Street and the folks living there look warily at him. A women from round the corner stands hands on hips (power pose) looking on. The lady sitting down appears to be holding twins on her lap.
6crtNewhall1.jpg

The cameraman has moved position for another photo and the lady sitting down does seem to be holding twins.
6crtNewhall3.jpg

In this photo the lady seen in the first pic looks slightly annoyed about the cameraman still being there.
6crt_Newhall2.jpg
images from Shoothill :)

Last edited:
Crumbs oM, what on earth was keeping the house together on post #1,057. It looks as though there is hardly any mortar left either.
I often look at these old courtyard photos and wonder what the buildings looked like when they were first built. I've no idea of the building dates but maybe it was before cameras were in general use so there are no such photos.

Phil, in the past, has made a number of comments as to how flimsy some of the old houses were

Back