• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Courtyards and yards of brum

Houses 1-6 in No 3 Court, Allison Street
index.php

above pic is a link from another thread and only visible if logged in.

A view from the other end of the court.
2-6-3crtAllisonSt.jpg

Expect it was a bit unusual to see a telegraph pole in one of these courts. Maybe it was to supply nearby factories/businesses. Viv.

Is it not possible, given the probable date of the photo, that the pole is a recent installation. After all in the early 20th.c telephones were only for wealthy folk or business purposes?

great photos phil...i bet when they were taken so many years ago the subjects had no idea about just how important these photos would become and how we would be pouring over them and of course for some of us there is the tantalising thought that although we will never know our rellies could be in the photos i always like to think so:) note how most seem to look happy and put a smile on amidst a life of poverty...

lyn

thanks for the map mike...so opposite the carpenters arms pub..think i have a rare photo of that must check

lyn

Someone who lived in 1 Court, Stafford Street liked plants. Toy buckets hanging from the door and window frames hold plants. The upper window ledge also crowded with plants.
1CrtStaffordSt.jpg

A view of 1 Court, Stafford Street from the other end.
1CrtStafford_2.jpg

More plants around a mangle in 11 Court, Sheep Street.
11CrtSheepSt.jpg

Someone who lived in 1 Court, Stafford Street liked plants. Toy buckets hanging from the door and window frames hold plants. The upper window ledge also crowded with plants.
View attachment 134022

A view of 1 Court, Stafford Street from the other end.
View attachment 134023

More plants around a mangle in 11 Court, Sheep Street.
View attachment 134024
Lovely pictures and such a change from the grim and poverty sticken photos of others that have been posted. In picture 3 it shows wonderful lace curtains at the window and a highly polished "windsor" type armchair. Obviously the occupants of this house took a great pride in their dwelling.

Some great pictures in those two posts of yours, Phil, that really told the story of the times. Seeing the yard paved with bricks brought memories of my grandmother's yard at 2/15 Bartons Bank, Aston, and sadly those are the only ones I have. Lots of blue bricks with a small drain in the centre of the large yard.

Maurice

Back