• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Courtyards and yards of brum

In 1881, over 80% of the heads of the 50 households of Greens Village were born in Ireland! As I've mentioned, there were only two families left there by 1991, so presumably the bulk of them moved into the surrounding neighbourhood. Was Guiness available in Birmingham by 1893? :) :) :)

Maurice

In 1881, over 80% of the heads of the 50 households of Greens Village were born in Ireland! As I've mentioned, there were only two families left there by 1991, so presumably the bulk of them moved into the surrounding neighbourhood. Was Guiness available in Birmingham by 1893? :) :) :)

Maurice
The provenance of the inhabitants fit well with all the work involving the railway.
Apart from not identifying the dome/cupola we have managed a far better result than the ill fated No 8 bus one. :D

(

Maurice

More likely to be on the hard stuff, potcheen?

It also looks like the mentions of Green's Village disappear after 1891. Late on in December 1891 the Birmingham Daily Mail reports that from the Warkwickshire Assizes it is said that Summer Lane has fallen heir to the criminal population that used to herd in and near to Green's Village and the slums around the Priory before the Improvement Scheme.

A view down Beak Street shown on the map in #1000 would show the building marked in pink. The photo below looks down Beak Street and shows the building opposite. There appears to be a dome on the building which is obviously not a house. Can we determine what this distinctive building was?
Unfortunately no date for this image.

Maurice

I don't know but I'm sure the enthusiasm to work was

More about Greens Village adding to what is already recorded here.

Although the c1889 map shows
Greens village as only one side of John Bright St, the directories of the period list it coming off both sides of the road , so the courts to the west of John Brights St should also be considered.

It looks likely that the photo in #971 was taken in the Greens Village yard because there are 10 houses although the photo only shows numbers 5 to 10. The view through the gap at the end of the yard would point at the building (marked pink on map in #1000) which probably had a domed corner turret tower. The view down Beak Street just catches the edge of the tower and dome.

The occupants look a lively bunch and the youngster lower middle in the pic has a mischievious looking face ...

Phil,

It is most unlikely that a local would have had the means to buy a camera then. Because we renovated and extended a derelict rural village house when we moved here, we were initially viewed with suspicision. Once the work had started and they condescended to say more than the usual kalimera, the next assumption was that we were just using the place as a holiday home and became most welcoming when they were convinced that we were actually going to live here permanently. I think it is the same almost anywhere, a stranger will be viewed with suspicion almost anywhere.

Maurice

The family who lived at No 3 in Court 5 William Street North opened their door one day and saw a man in their court with his camera set on a tripod. The kids were lined up, the man told them to stand still, and they were in the photo ... probably the only one they had taken of them as youngsters ...

In their court by houses 1-4 at the back of 94 Coleshill Street they look at the camera and over 100 years later we look at them.

Those high buildings behind their houses look interesting, particularly the one with the two circular holes which look like vents. I have seen a map showing the Gaiety Palace with a 'Waterhouse' behind it ... could these be the high buildings?
1-4_Bk 94 ColeshillSt.jpg

Shoothill have this photo tagged back of 16 - 17 Holland Street. It looks a rather grim place notable for having what appears to be a floating gas light and the photographer has placed his equipment case in the corner of the yard.
IMG_1160.jpg

Back