• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Courtyards and yards of brum

This is 6 Court, William Street, but it is not the William Street North mentioned in post#896. Houses in this court were being refurbished and the house facing the street looks finished. The photographer has placed his equipment case on the pavement by the wall.
6__CRTWilliamSt.jpg
shoothill

Last edited:
There must have been a considerable slum refurbishment program at some date as shown in these two photos of Court 23, Hampton Street.
Before refurbishment ... and a water pump is in the view.
23CourtHamptonStbefore.jpg

After refurbishment ... a delapidated building on the right has been demolished to be replaced by new lower buildings into which the pump has probably been moved. Bay windows have been fitted. The court surface needs sweeping.
23crtHamptonSt.jpg
images from shoothill

It may be a pump, however I suspect it's a standpipe. Water company's had their own styles of standpipes. The village of Melbourne in South Derbyshire still have theirs and have now made them part of the villages identity.

Great picture but what is the chap holding? Is he assisting the photographer or is he part of the building team?

Houses in Court 2, Rea Street. They are in very poor condition and note the worn doorstep. The photographer has again put his equipment case in the pic ...
House11_Crt2_ReaStreet.jpg

Court 2, Richard Street.
The photographer was using a long exposure and children never keep still.
The man by the water tap appears to be using a wooden bath which looks like it leaks at the seams.
Crt2RichardSt.jpg

These photos are a real education, the conditions people had to live with. My own parents were both moved from either side of Digbeth during the pre-war slum clearances into much better quality terrace housing. Mom moved from Cheapside and Dad moved from Floodgate Street. I bet they could not believe their luck! We would never be able to endure it now...

View attachment 81889
Havelock Road Greet 1956

Berniew I've just come across this pic , there was a copy of this picture in the Birmingham Mail a couple of years ago , I cut it out of the Mail for sketching purposes I only finished the sketch the week before last . The pic in the paper only shows the bins the lady on the doorstep and the rest of that building there is nothing of the building at right angle , the only difficulty I had was trying to get the blackness correct on the end wall just behind the bins

I am new to this forum and have been avidly trying to find pictures of the back houses of Dolobran Road Sparkbrook. They were demolished circa 1972 . My family were one of the last to live there prior to the demolition . There were approximately 5 x 6 rows of houses there may have been more. It would also be interesting to see the houses that were replaced by local authority properties approx 1974, that were actually on Dolobran Road. Some of the houses still exist. We lived 1/27 Dolobran Road.
Here hoping to hear something soon. Blessings

Hi Les,

Welcome to you, I have to admit that I have never seen a photo of Dolobran Road let alone any of the back courts off it, though I did know somebody who lived in one of the street fronting replacement houses. I am posting a plan showing the back courts on Dolobran Road to help you locate the court you want exactly.

dolobran.jpg

I am new to this forum and have been avidly trying to find pictures of the back houses of Dolobran Road Sparkbrook. They were demolished circa 1972 . My family were one of the last to live there prior to the demolition . There were approximately 5 x 6 rows of houses there may have been more. It would also be interesting to see the houses that were replaced by local authority properties approx 1974, that were actually on Dolobran Road. Some of the houses still exist. We lived 1/27 Dolobran Road.
Here hoping to hear something soon. Blessings
Not exactly the photos you are looking for but there are these aerial photos (dated 1946) of the area showing one end of Dolobran Road near Christ Church.
xDolobran 1946.jpg

DolobranRd1946.jpg
images are from 'britainfromabove'

Houses 3, 4, and 5, in Court 3, Blews Street, and looks like some refurbishment work was in progress.
3_4_5 in 3crt Blews.jpg

View from the other end of Court 3, Blews Street.
Blews.jpg
Shoothill

Last edited:
cracking photos phil....any idea which blews st this is as i think we had 2...for certain one was off manchester st newtown but cant remember now where i had seen another blews st...well i think i did:rolleyes:

lyn

cracking photos phil....any idea which blews st this is as i think we had 2...for certain one was off manchester st newtown but cant remember now where i had seen another blews st...well i think i did:rolleyes:

lyn
I assumed it was Blews Street in the Newtown area but am not 100% sure. I understand there was a Blews Street in the Springhill area. I can't see any way of proving which one it was at the moment.
Phil

Back