• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Courtyards and yards of brum

Houses 1, 2 and 3, Court 2, St James' Place.
index.php

only visible if logged in, it is a link to a forum pic in another forum thread click/here

Last edited:
Houses 4, 5 and 6, Court 2, St James' Place.
index.php

only visible if logged in, it is a link to a forum pic in another forum thread click/here

Last edited:
cottage baths..jpeg I remember posting this one a few years ago but it may be missing now so here it is again. My Mom and Dad were rehoused from Brearley Street to Acocks Green where I was born in 1940.

Houses 1 and 2 in Court 6, Duke Street. Unusual use of old mattresses on the right.
Image_duke2.jpg
image from the Shoothill collection.

Last edited:
That picture of Duke Street is exactly how I remember my aunt's place in Coralie Street Hockley, the door with the arched top was the lavvy, I got seriously shouted at for drumming on the tin bath that hung on the wall in theirs when I was about eight years old. :)

Ah the old "Bath on the Wall" we had the spare bedroom converted into a bathroom in the early 1950's. Mom and Dad went 50/50 with the lady owner of the house we rented under some government home improvement scheme. It must have made a big improvement in our lives and I wonder what became of the old long zinc bath. If I had been younger I may have memories of playing with it as a boat or such.
Cheers Tim.

hi alan my garden has quite a few old quirky things in it....would love one of those old tin baths...would most likely plant it out:D

lyn

There was an old sandpit in Jerrys Lane, Erdington. We used to slide down the hill in an old tin bath

Court 6, back of 68 - 71 Watery Lane. The tall houses seem to lack normal size windows in upper rooms. The four small windows seem to have unusual lintels and perhaps they were modifications. It looks like a builder might have lived in the house where the women are standing.
Back68_71and6CrtWateryLane..jpg
A view of the other side of Court 6, Watery Lane and it was washing day.
6_Court_68_71_WateryLane.jpg
images from the Shoothill collection

My great great grand parents Catherine and George Alders, lived at 2 court 3 House Cheapside in 1881 does anyone have any pictures of that particular area please.

Back