• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Courtyards and yards of brum

Bartons Head, 13 Bartons Bank, Aston, Warwickshire
Birmingham pub history index

Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Warwickshire. The Warwickshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.

The following entries are in this format:

Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.

1891/William Harper/Gun Maker & Publican/56/Birmingham, Warwickshire/Census ****
1891/Maria Harper/Wife/56/Birmingham, Warwickshire/Census
1891/Mary A Harper/Daughter, Steel Pen Maker/36/Birmingham, Warwickshire/Census
========================================
I just found this whilst looking for something else.

1892/William Harper/Beer Retailer, 13 Bartons bank, Aston park/../../Kellys Directory ****

Well done, Eric. Since all the four houses in our court were either addressed as Barton Place OR Court 5 OR back of 15 Bartons Bank, that puts our William Harper the beer retailer at number 13 as pretty close to the entrance to the court.

Maurice

hi celia so that photo was taken when you were still living in st helens passage ??

lyn

hi celia so that photo was taken when you were still living in st helens passage ??

lyn
Yes it was , My Parent's split up so we moved My Mother & Self when I was 12, My Father Married again and lived there, He had Building & Plastering Business on corner of Vittoria Street & St Helens Passage. Later he moved with family on £10 tickets to Australia.

morning celia well all i can say is you are very lucky to have a photo of your old house complete with moms washing on the line:)...just in case anyone is wondering what photo we are taling about here it is again...st helens passage..

lyn

View attachment 114033
Thank you so much Lyn, I was so thrilled to see it, Brought back so many Memories , Good & Bad , But was able to show my family of my Beginnings haha X Celia

Yes it must be great to have a pic of the house you was born in, I have pics of the houses I have lived in, in Sheldon, Shirley, Erdington (using street view) and overseas but not the one I was born in at Queens Road Aston. Eric

Court 4, Lawford Street ... the outhouse has an interesting window frame.
LawfordStCourt.jpg
shoothill

Last edited:
The outhouse window brickwork suggests it might have been done that way to incorporate the metal framing. No lintel just a keystone so it was cheaper I guess.
The exterior plumbing is a bit dubious! The down pipe seems to be accepting water from the three house roofs. I guess the folks living there knew that and gave it a wide berth when it rained. However on warmer days it might be a great place to stand either to take a cold bath/shower - no bath indoors I suspect. The other larger, square shaped stack goes to ground so there might be some indoor facilities there.
Never having lived in such properties I am also curious about the three small openings adjacent to the doorways. I am of the opinion that they might be what was known as a meat/food safe with a mesh instead of glass and being high up from the paving were less prone to theft by animals or thieves.
The first house has a delightful family who look clean and well fed and an age range from very young to middle age. No men there of course, they would have been at their place of work. Was the end house empty or did it have a young couple who were both at work?

lovely photos kath....they were the wrong way round so i have turned them round and re posted them for you...i had ancestors in heneage st in 1841 and 51

lyn

Line of wasing in a back to back yard..png
I do not know where this one is/was but it is something you do not see so frequently these days.

court 17. Hospital St..jpg
Because I am doing several things at the same time I may post something that has already been displayed by someone else. If that is the case will a mod please delete my post, thank you.

Think the photo in #856 is at the Back to Backs museum. Looks like a staged scene for the photograph.

Stitcher, don't worry if they've been posted before. We've found that revisiting these images gives much pleasure and can spark further memories. Thanks for your hard work. Viv.

Vivienne, that is certainly modern, new window frames, new window sills, new slates and down pipe and colour photograph !! Compare it to posts # 852 and #858. I have lived in a back to back in the 50's and it was nothing like that

Houses 1, 2 and 3, Court 2, St James' Place.
index.php

only visible if logged in, it is a link to a forum pic in another forum thread click/here

Last edited:
Houses 4, 5 and 6, Court 2, St James' Place.
index.php

only visible if logged in, it is a link to a forum pic in another forum thread click/here

Last edited:
cottage baths..jpeg I remember posting this one a few years ago but it may be missing now so here it is again. My Mom and Dad were rehoused from Brearley Street to Acocks Green where I was born in 1940.

Houses 1 and 2 in Court 6, Duke Street. Unusual use of old mattresses on the right.
Image_duke2.jpg
image from the Shoothill collection.

Last edited:
Back