• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Courtyards and yards of brum

Alma Terrace is shown in red on the c 1913 map below

map_c1913_alma_terrace.jpg

Going back to post #713 where Dave (Padgo) was looking for a map showing 6 Court , Price Street.
This picture shows it, i don't know the year but must be some years after your relatives left. i would guess the houses looked exactly the same but i don't know which would be No1. Moss

Attachments

• Price Street,6 court (630x600).jpg
    Price Street,6 court (630x600).jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 97
moss thats a cracking photo of court 6 im sure ive not seen this before..i think court 6 was also known as dairy terrace...maybe mike could confirm this..here is the map mike sent me of dairy terrace and it looks to be in the position as court 6 which is shown on post 713....sorry mike cant seem to post the dairy terrace map

Last edited:
Yes court 6 was also called Dairy terrace. I think most named courts also had a number and which was used seems arbitrary and sometimes to vary over time. Sometimes, in streets that are combined with other streets (not talking about Price St) then a name would deliberately be used, as otherwise there would sometimes be two courts with hte same number in the same street

thanks mike thats great news then...lynne webb will be delighted that court 6 and dairy terrace are one and the same...oh and yes that is the map you sent me...

thank you mike

lyn

mike ive been looking again at that pic of dairy terrace and looking at your map i dont think it was taken looking towards vesey st i think the buildings in the background are in price st...

lyn

Lyn
I think it all depends on when the picture was taken. It looks quite old (1900 or before to me), and if you look at the map on post 714, then i would say that it looks more like looking towards Vesey St

Lyn
I think it all depends on when the picture was taken. It looks quite old (1900 or before to me), and if you look at the map on post 714, then i would say that it looks more like looking towards Vesey St

quite possible mike...i was only thinking it could have been taken looking looking towards price st as i can see what looks like an entrance on the left in the pic moss posted...couldnt see anyway through to vesey st from dairy terrace on either of the 2 maps...its not that important though as just to have the photo is good enough

lyn

Last edited:
Actually, on looking again at the map at #714 I think it might have been looking towards Price st, as , on the map there are two larger buildings on the left at the far end looking towards Price St, and this would agree with the bigger block on the left of the picture at the far end

Actually, on looking again at the map at #714 I think it might have been looking towards Price st, as , on the map there are two larger buildings on the left at the far end looking towards Price St, and this would agree with the bigger block on the left of the picture at the far end

thanks mike that is just how i saw it...

lyn

Thanks mossg for the photo, never expected that. So do I assume from mikejee & Astoness that No 1 is likely to be the last house on the right. Dave.

This is a photo of a Terrace in Price c1905, it is tagged 7 court. The trouble is it doesn't match up with the OS map. Mike do you think it has been flipped at sometime?

Attachments

• Hockley Price St 7 Court 1907.jpg
    Hockley Price St 7 Court 1907.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 81
great photo phil it looks right to me..if you look at the pic of court 6 also known as dairy terrace on post 722 the bottom windows are identical also check out mikes terrace map on post 714...i would say that again your pic is looking towards price st...im saving this one as well as pics of price st are very few and far between..
lyn

Last edited:
Lyn

The thing is it doesn't match up with court 6 (Dairy Terrace) on the map, but I have worked it out that it is court 7 (Bath Terrace) looking up the court from the street entrance.

Attachments

• price st.JPG
    price st.JPG
    221.8 KB · Views: 37
It seems that I was looking at it from the wrong direction. it was the WT in the photo and the map that made up my mind for me.

Hi everyone, Thanks for all the info re Alma Terrace...but to throw confusion into the mix ...the Alma Terrace I am looking at (home to my husband Johns grandparents ) is in the 1922 and 1925 electoral rolls (on Ancestry) which has 7 houses and precedes Victoria Terrace and is after 136 Sherbourne Road....down also as Sparkbrook but that boundary may have changed over time ...are we talking about the same place ? (First assumption that the ER were done in some sort of geographical order !)
Felen

Here is the Alma terrace you want, on map c1913 marked in red. The three larger houses at the far end may not be included in the terrace. It is not clear

map_c_1913_sherbourne_road_showing_alma_terrace.jpg

Can't believe I found this! What a fab site this is, my great grandfather lived at 114 Heneage St in 1891. Thank you so much all of you pic posters, this is great!

Can't believe I found this! What a fab site this is, my great grandfather lived at 114 Heneage St in 1891. Thank you so much all of you pic posters, this is great!

hello patzarina glad you like this thread..my 3x gt grandfather was also at heneage st st in 1841..if you go to the heneage st thread i think there maybe one or two photos

lyn

I had an ancestor living in 4 Brass House Passage, Court 2. Were all these "Courts" in the same area of Birmingham? Really great photos on the site.

There were courts at some time in about all the older areas of Birmingham. In some cases the area was built like that, but often they came about by the filling in of gardens and areas behing houses already there.

Thanks to Mikejee and also to Dennis for the pictures. The fellow who lived here was a chair maker (as opposed to chain maker) - I've had to be quite careful not jumping to conclusions about occupation. I know that chain-making was a key industry here but prior to 1851 census, he had been a chair maker in Lombard Street, Birmingham and also in Dudley. And seems still chair maker in 1851 in Brass House Passage. So somehow he was managing to find room to make these chairs (wife a straw hat maker) in what must have been very cramped conditions.

Back