• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Courtyards and yards of brum

Hi Lynn Mandy
Just to say about the courts of Aston and to say to Mandy I am still searching for the picture of the court her grand father lived up
On Lichfield red and grand mother dragging out of the widows arms and shoveling him up the opening
I also have my son scouring for it now I will find it no matter it takes to find it. Have a nice day ladies ,oh and guys,
Best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,,,,,,,,,,

happy to help mark..if i come across anymore of hanley st i will post them for you

lyn

Hi all, been looking through some old stuff of my mothers and i found this photo that i thought was appropriate for this thread. It is a photo of my younger brother (the one on the right) with a friend, standing at the entrance to Arthur terrace and Redhill terrace Hay mills. The photo was taken in the early 50's.Alan at the terrace.jpg

what a delightful photograph podgery..one to cherish thank you for sharing it with us

lyn

Hi all, been looking through some old stuff of my mothers and i found this photo that i thought was appropriate for this thread. It is a photo of my younger brother (the one on the right) with a friend, standing at the entrance to Arthur terrace and Redhill terrace Hay mills. The photo was taken in the early 50's.View attachment 93847

Great photo. Looking at the dolls, there is certainly no colour prejudice there. Eddie

This collection of courts and back houses from around Brum must have been built at a time when glass was more expensive than bricks, hence the lack of windows. It's a pity a few of these were not saved to be put on view as were the sanitised versions in Inge Street. Run your mouse over the thumbnail photos for the locations.

Attachments

• Bordesley Park St New Vale Court 1910.JPG
    Bordesley Park St New Vale Court 1910.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Bordesley Watery Lane.JPG
    Bordesley Watery Lane.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Nechells Great Lister St.JPG
    Nechells Great Lister St.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Nechells Thimble Mill Lane.JPG
    Nechells Thimble Mill Lane.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 104
  • Winson Green Don St.JPG
    Winson Green Don St.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 104
There was also that point Phil that a plain wall is quicker to build than one with windows, and there would be less necessity to employ a carpenter for the window frames. Of course today, on a rather small scale, soem social housing has very small windows on at least one side to restrict energy loss, though I'm sure that was not a reason back then

I think going back in times gone by tax was dependent upon how many windows in the house, hence many were blocked up.

I think repeal of the window tax pre-dates the houses in question.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Window or glass tax was instituted in around 1775, I believe to pay for the American colonial war, I think it was resurrected in about 1803, to pay for the Napoleonic war, repealed I think around 1820. The #3 of 5, Phil's photo's looks like a little "Mews cottage", and looks a bit better built than the surrounding buildings with its own on suite Loo facing the front door, and #1 looks as if it has an open sewer to the right?. Paul

As the window tax was repealed in 1851 in the UK it is entirely possible that these properties were built while it was still in force. I would think the photo that I posted were all taken around the end of the 19th and start of the 20th centuries, and some of them were already in the process of being demolished. The thing was the more salubrious properties that were built before the act was repealed were built with the window openings, but the were bricked up so that they could be opened up at an earlier date without much bother.

Seeing this thread I wonder if anyone has a map showing: Price St. 1st House No 6 Court Bham. as my relations lived there in 1861/1871. Dave

The map from c 1889 below shows court 6 in green, and what I would guess was no 1 in red.

price_st_c_1889_showing_probable_no_1_court_6_price_st.jpg

i had a rellie born in price st dave...this was in the 1830s but unfortunately ive not got a number for it...

lyn

sorry that photo of Alma terrace removed. My husbands father lived at number 5 with his parents, Walter and Elizabeth (Lizzie) Windsor Price and numerous brothers. Are there any other photos about ?
felen

Not sure where the picture of alma terrace was (there are 700 posts on this thread), but here is a picture of it.

alma_terrace_off_benacre_st.jpg

hi felen there should be no photos missing on this thread. mike thanks for posting that one of alma terrace

lyn

hi felen there should be no photos missing on this thread. mike thanks for posting that one of alma terrace

lyn

Many thanks to both of you ....photo now seems to be there for which many thanks. Do either of you know of a map which will show location of alma terrace ?? somewhere near Sherbourne rd I think were Walter Windsor Price died in 1944
felen

Back