• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Courtyards and yards of brum

Smashing pictures. Love the yards and courtyard pictures. What a danger some of them were for the kids playing although they wouldn,t have noticed i don,t suppose... Nice to see your Paddington St ones Lyn.

Bernie. I have often thanked Lyn for all the pics she puts up here, but I think a massive thanks should also go to you. Really fantastic pictures that bring back so many memories. Cheers my friend, and keep posting. Barry.

The address for this pic is Vanns Buildings Frothy they were very close to Jenkins Street between 147 and 151

This is a special thread and many thanks to Lyn for starting it.
These could be described as the hidden and secret places of Birmingham but in reality they were the landscape that many of us grew up in and knew intimately; they are a picture of the world that shaped us. We know that they were slums but to me they show us lost world which I dearly miss.
This picture has been posted before and in books is labelled as Geach Street. It was adjacent to Geach Street but the entry was actually in Guildford Street; a court back of 26 were I was born. Locally the court was known as The Barracks, due the number of families that lived there. There were fourteen houses.
I wrote about it in the story posted here: https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2580
There was a tree in front of our back gate. We had our own back yard with a gate led into the Barracks. The area was demolished in the mid sixties and I visited the area in the early seventies. The geography of streets had changed but I located a small children's playground on the site of the Barracks. Surrounded by a low circle of bricks was the stump of the tree. Attempts had been made to burn it bit it had survived. I still have a small splinter of wood from that tree.

barracks.jpg

Some photos of Eden Place, Guildford Street. George VI coronation May 1937
my sisters and brother

edenplace_3.jpg
A group photo

edenplace_4.jpg

Re post 80 its William Edward St, they were the last family to live there,great photo's

Back