• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Courtyards and yards of brum

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks thought this thead may compliment dennis williams great passages and alleyways thread...back to the days when homes were just not fit for habitation by todays standards...its all to do with social history of course and thats the way it was and folk knew no different..life has evolved at lot since those days and who knows what it will be like in a couple of hundred years time...

lyn..

image.jpeg
Chapel Terrace Saltley Road
image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
nos 3.4 5 and 6 court 7 cheapside..circa 1905

image.jpeg

court in cromwell st..duddeston circa 1905

image.jpeg

yard in milk st 1950s...demolished 1955

(Pic2 (missing) court in cromwell st..duddeston circa 1905
IMG Photobucket won't release this pic2 at the moment ... I'll get it when they are not looking ... :D Oldmohawk)

img934.jpg

back of 131 fazeley street.. circa 1905

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Astoness

What a really great subject; fantastic photos, hope you have a few more.

Thank you for sharing them

hi morturn...yes ive got some more to post tomorrow..i have always found the subject of social history fascinating and must admit i have always sort of hero worshipped the people who struggled to survive in some awful circumstances and living conditions but the thing is they they would not have classed themselves as heros as said before it was a way of life for them at that time in history.. i still admire them though and would have been a step up from living in caves...
lyn

Last edited:
Agree with Morturn. Excellent thread Lyn. Seeing so many photos together of the courts brings it home just how widespread these were. A very visual record of conditions. Also shows how people did their best to make it home too - nicely planted shrubs in pots in the third photo. Keep 'em coming Lyn. Viv.

Hi Lynn.Great photos i love looking at the old photos i look forward to seeing the others you are putting on.Irene

Lyn, like yourself, the social history fascinates me, when you look what people put up with it is amazing how well we survived, but as there was no other way, I would think that they just got on with it.
Looking at your pics now, some of them are quite recent - in the 60's - hadn't really thought about how other people lived, yet nan and grandad lived in a terraced house and had an inside loo put in, as I can remember that, must have been in the 60s.
Thanks for posting them, looking forward to more.
Sue

thanks everyone..so pleased that you think this if a good idea for a new thread...sue you would be surprised just how many families were still living in unsuitable housing well into the late 70s..villa street where i grew up from the age of 5 to 18 was not demolished until the 80s and that street was first cut round about 1850 possably a bit earlier....have sorted a few more pics out for scanning tomorrow...too tired tonight as ive been doing a spot of decorating and i nodded off earlier lol..

lyn

Last edited:
Smashing pics Lyn, I love the one of the three little lads and the barrel rings, my grandad and most of his brothers were coopers so I'm guessing they would have used the same sort of things. Keep them coming.
Lynne.

Great pics Lyn - As people say - not too long ago - We all lived in similar housing in the 1960's, some of my rellies refused to move into 'new' flats and kept moving as they knocked down their street to another a few streets away - until they knocked that down, and so on!
Basic by today's standards, and certainly overcrowded - but it was what you had and could afford and you made the best of what you had - No Satellite dishes, motor cars, or separate bedrooms per person than!

Happy days in many ways...............

Brian

Have to agree Brian, much less frantic pace of life and more consideration for others - some of todays children think money grows on trees and don't understand having to earn things!
Sue

Great pictures Lyn thank you so much for sharing them.
My Great Aunt lived in such a house at the back of Aston Hippadrome and I remember well how 'rough' it looked from the outside but it was a little palace inside, the range shone with her hard rubbing of the Zebo and her whites were so white from boiling in the brew house and dipping in the blue bag water.
They took so much pride in the little they had and the community was great.
Thanks again Lyn....look forward to seeing more.

Great photo's Lyn, as usual so very interesting, sad how really ill some of the children look, and the women so aged beyond there years, we are so lucky to live in this period of history. Thanks for posting again Lyn some more please.
paul

Great pictures Lyn they remind me of the homes my aunties lived in in Pope Street not far from the ice rink. Most people only either had front or back of house but one aunty had the back and front. Picture 4 is sad with the 3 boys makes you grateful that that our parents that came from that life gave us a better life. Still I know that was the times hard times for the working class.

yes dottie some of the scenes are very sad indeed and as we all know in the very early days the children also had to work from a very early age..ive got a 12 year old rellie down the mines and i believe they were going down even younger than that...no welfare state back then to help folk out so it was quite simple..you work or you starve....

hi paul oh i do agree with you the women and i think the men aged very quickly back then owing to the hard life that most of them had...

just scanned a few more to post in a bit...

lyn

Last edited:
Back