• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Courtyards and yards of brum

Court 6, Essington Street.
index.php

only visible if logged in, it is a link to a forum pic from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...our-old-street-pics.41947/page-97#post-577082
from 'shoothill collection'
Is that not 60 Essington Street? Got all excited as it's an address for gt gt Grandfather, 2bk 60.

Grim times.

Jan 1876, Georges Cardoe, prosecuted for allowing nuisances to exist on premises owned. 30-33 Cliveland Street.
His name was George Swain Cardo and he was born in Dudley, Worcestershire in 1829. He probably inherited the properties in Cliveland Street from his father, George Gordon Cardo. His mother was Jane Swain - she died in 1836 a week after giving birth to her fifth child. George Swain Cardo moved to Birmingham to live with his grandmother, Elizabeth Swain, her son, George Swain, and daughter, also Elizabeth Swain. The Swain family lived at 60, Lionel Street and George Swain was a Canal Carrier. I think George Swain Cardo probably worked for him as, in 1851, he gives his occupation as Carrier's Clerk.

His name was George Swain Cardo and he was born in Dudley, Worcestershire in 1829. He probably inherited the properties in Cliveland Street from his father, George Gordon Cardo. His mother was Jane Swain - she died in 1836 a week after giving birth to her fifth child. George Swain Cardo moved to Birmingham to live with his grandmother, Elizabeth Swain, her son, George Swain, and daughter, also Elizabeth Swain. The Swain family lived at 60, Lionel Street and George Swain was a Canal Carrier. I think George Swain Cardo probably worked for him as, in 1851, he gives his occupation as Carrier's Clerk.

You may already know but there is a probate record for George Gordon Cardo, 15 Sep 1860 (died 16 Aug). So should be an associated Will.

You may already know but there is a probate record for George Gordon Cardo, 15 Sep 1860 (died 16 Aug). So should be an associated Will.
Thank you; I have a copy of his will. George Gordon Cardo and Jane Swain were married at St. Martin's in the Bullring as were his parents, Joseph Cardo and Ann Gauden.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Two aerial views dated 1935 and not looking so grim on a sunny day. Count the houses back from the bend (ref the map) and possibly identify Court 2 Number 60.
View attachment 167277 View attachment 167278

Another lower res view dated 1921 shows the street and how densely packed the housing was in the area. The arrow points from Ryland Street.
View attachment 167279
images source 'britainfromabove' website
Just spotted these pics. Fabulous, really gives me an idea of how the buildings were situated. And gives a sense of the character of the area.

I must say, the pictures are well done, and the last shows the terrible crowding, in those days of the back to backs had deprivation of course. I remember the other side of the coin though, from the late 50's early 60's , where the community's were moved , and women and men crying at the loss of their very close knit communities, which were never found again. !!

I was born in a back-to-back in Deritend, 12 back of 56 Skinner Lane and baptised in St Martin's in the Bullring. When I was still quite young we moved to a house in Selly Oak which was terraced and had an outside toilet next to the coal shed, but it seemed like a palace compared to the place we left and the homes where my aunts, uncles and cousins were still living in the city centre. I think the biggest difference was that in Selly Oak we actually had a garden and nearby there were parks and green spaces where I could play.

For many years I worked with my father in the Evans and Kitchen garage in Hurst Street, so I have many memories of that whole area. For most of my adult life I've lived in France, mainly teaching. Some years ago a colleague organised a trip to England for our pupils with a visit to Birmingham as part of their study of the Industrial Revolution. She asked me to accompany the group including a tour of the National Trust back-to-backs on the corner of Hurst St and Inge St. I must admit I was very apprehensive as I didn't know how I would react. It was a quite overwhelming and moving experience which brought back so many vivid impressions of my childhood, adolescence and early adult life lived in that area. Above all it confirmed my deep and abiding love for my family and for those communities, now gone, who faced the daily challenges of a life lived in such a physically grim environment, with a simple dignity and resilience.

Back