• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Courtyards and yards of brum

Two more photographs from Eden Place. My parent's wedding, 1922 - notice the carpet laid out under the chairs - take the street end. My brothers and sister in the 1930s, taken the end away from the street. Just in front of them was the area called the Drying Ground where the washing lines were, adjacent to the brewhouse. Notice the very fancy porch in the background.

View attachment 82003View attachment 82004
My grandmother was married at St Marys Church Aston Brook and this photo has helped me with the sort of clothes and the times. She married in 1919 Leah Clayton to Harry Jones. Thank you for the photos wonderful

Although there is already a pic of Camden Grove in another thread here are two with constrast and sharpness improved. They show No 7 Court, Camden Grove as the inhabitants look at the photographer maybe wondering why he would take a photo of their court. The second photo shows the view they saw when they looked out of their doors.

Although there is already a pic of Camden Grove in another thread here are two with constrast and sharpness improved. They show No 7 Court, Camden Grove as the inhabitants look at the photographer maybe wondering why he would take a photo of their court. The second photo shows the view they saw when they looked out of their doors.
View attachment 132142

View attachment 132143

Here is Camden Grove from the 1880s. Does it fit?

The Shoothill Birmingham Library site seems to have its fair share of mistakes, and is this another one? The two pictures placed by old Mohawk of Number 7 Court, Camden Drive do fit well with the "court" that leads in to Legge St. If you count the "courts" from Camden Drive it could be said to be Court 7, but four of the other six have names and not numbers.

The 1881 census for Camden Grove gives housing numbers 1 to 43, suggesting that the numbering goes in and out of the “courts”? There are many mentions of Camden Drive in the Press but none that I can find with a Court number.

The 1920 electoral roll also numbers all the houses in Camden Grove consecutively (see one page below)

Attachments

• camden grove 1920.pdf
    44.6 KB · Views: 23
Here is Camden Grove from the 1880s. Does it fit?
View attachment 132148
As often in these old courtyard images the photographer chalked the address on a wall or door etc, and '7 crt Camden Grove' can be seen chalked on a wall in the second pic in post#963. With their 'Deep Zoom' method, Shoothill obviously had no connection with the old photographer so probably just used the chalked address. The view through the gap at the end of the court showing a street and high buildings does not seem to fit with the map so I'm still looking.

Last edited:
In 1895 a notice of lighting from the Corporation does mention Courts 1-7.
Here is an auction notice from July 1909 for Cregoe and Gough Places....with Out-offices!

View attachment 132142

View attachment 132143

In 1917 the Estate of Mr Thomas Priest included 21 houses around Camden Street, Ten being in Camden Grove.

Mr Priest was a corn merchant, one time President of the Master Bakers and Member of the Board of Guardians. In 1890 he was fired 8s 6d for delivery of bread without a set of scales. In 1893 he was fined 20s for cruelty to a horse by working it when in an unfit condition.

Looking at the map in post#964 I have drawn an arrow pointing at a court which has a plan view matching the court in the first photo in #963. The houses marked in green, the outhouses marked red and the red circle marks where the camera was.

A small mystery with this image. The photographer knew where he was and chalked the address 5-10 Station Terrace, Hill St on the wall, but I can't seem to locate it on a map. There is a tall building with a domed roof in the background ... does anyone recognise it?

It's a possiblity although the cupolas or domes on the Post Office seem more pointed. Looking at courts or similar off Hill Street I cannot yet find any pointed in the direction of the Post Office ... :)

I've just looked at another map Lyn, and can't locate a Station Terrace. They look a cheerful group in the court ...:)

have to say they do phil...maybe when mike spots this post he can help find us a map showing station terrace....fingers crossed nice photo

lyn

At first glance I can’t locate Station Terrace, but there are quite a few mentions of it as being Hill Street.

thanks pedro i thought st judes was in or near hill st...will try and find a photo of it to compere

lyn

Back