• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Courtyards and yards of brum

Bob.
The canal is marked as that, but , because only a small section of the map is shown, this does not appear, though the t of towpath does appear on th e edge. The larger scale map from 1889 seems to show that the steps go up to a bridge over the canal
map c 1889 showing brewery st.jpg

The corporation yard became an overhead maintenance depot in 1908 when Miller Street was first opened as far as I can see.

Last edited:
Moseley Road depot opened January 1907 and Kyotts Lake Road was taken over by the BCT from the CBT at the same time.
..........but we are now steaming into thread drift. :oops:

Two photos of the back of 22 Blews Street (presumably the one in the Newtown area) and the condition of these buildings contrast with the those in #926
View attachment 129365

View attachment 129366
The notice on the door is mentioned earlier in #767
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ourtyards-and-yards-of-brum.40378/post-566377

In November 1901 a 4 year old girl was knocked down and killed by a horse in Blews Street while on her way home from school. RIP

Maurice, I've just been looking at the 1939 register and I find that not only was my grandparents living at 5/15 Barton's Bank but my father's sister and her husband and children, James and Ada Biddle, Victor and Vera, were living at number 17

Maurice, I've just been looking at the 1939 register and I find that not only was my grandparents living at 5/15 Barton's Bank but my father's sister and her husband and children, James and Ada Biddle, Victor and Vera, were living at number 17

Eric if this Batons Bank is the one in Aston , it ran up the side of the block of houses I lived in from 1976-96

Williamstreeter,

If we are talking about the Bartons Bank which ran through to Rifle Crescent, it was redeveloped in the mid-1960s. Three tower blocks now stand on the site. I was born in my grandmother's house at 2/15 and knew the Gibsons at 5/15 well and vice versa. What address were you living at from 1976-1996?

Maurice

You must have know my cousins Maurice, Victor and Vera Biddle, Victor joined the navy and served through the war, then on his return went back to and later took over Sander's chemists in Potter's Hill. He and Vera are both gone now, Vera sadly had MS and suffered a long time before she died.
I didn't realise they were in Barton's Bank in 39, I only remember them being in Victoria Road.

Williamstreeter,

If we are talking about the Bartons Bank which ran through to Rifle Crescent, it was redeveloped in the mid-1960s. Three tower blocks now stand on the site. I was born in my grandmother's house at 2/15 and knew the Gibsons at 5/15 well and vice versa. What address were you living at from 1976-1996?

Maurice

24 Selston rd just off Park Lane one end , Victoria Rd the other . Good old days , I don't think I could live there now

Eric,

I was two years old in 1939 and by early 1941 we had moved to Sparkhill. So memories at that point were very slim. As I grew up, I continued to visit my grandmother, Louisa Longmore and her youngest son, Albert, until 1960 and by January 1961, I had moved south to Dorset. I can't remember the name Biddle and never had occasion to visit the Potter's Hill chemist.

When I'd reached an age when I took more interest in the people around me, my grandmother spent more time talking to my mother and her other frequent visitor, Gal (Garibaldi) Sedgwick, her cousin. I was out in the garden shed, which Uncle Albert had turned into a workshop. On one occasion, I bought by mail order a kit to build an electric motor from the dreaded William Penn Limited, which, of course, didn't work - everything they sold was rubbish. So using an old loudspeaker magnet, Uncle Albert showed me how to build a motor that did work.

The only real event from the early WW2 years that I did remember was going down into my grandmother's cellar when the air raid siren went. By then Uncle Albert was in the Military Police and spent the later WW2 years in Belgium & Germany, mainly directing traffic around bombed out towns! I have a photograph of him somewhere in uniform and will post it when I have a bit more get up and go!

Maurice

Has anyone ever seen a photo of Chequers Walk? One of my relatives were there around 1880, but I have never seen a photo. I think it was only a tiny place.
Hi, My family, the Carleys lived in Chequers Walk around 1919. Great Grandma Carley had a 'shop', but I imagine it was a front room filled with produce to sell. My Grandma and Mum lived there in the 1920s too. They seemed to work for Jones and Barclay, which was round the corner.

thanks everyone..so pleased that you think this if a good idea for a new thread...sue you would be surprised just how many families were still living in unsuitable housing well into the late 70s..villa street where i grew up from the age of 5 to 18 was not demolished until the 80s and that street was first cut round about 1850 possably a bit earlier....have sorted a few more pics out for scanning tomorrow...too tired tonight as ive been doing a spot of decorating and i nodded off earlier lol..

lyn
we lived in terrable conditions uptill 1970. then had a propper house. with bath room.
i moved in to my cottage in 1999 in wales.it had no bathroom or loo inside they were in a shed out side. i built a bathroom in side. the old systern was up on the wall with a long pipe to the pan.one winter it froze i pulled the chain so hard and the cystern come off the wall. i laught'd and thought been here before in brum.when i had to go up a yard to the loo.and that happend.

Last edited:
Hi, My family, the Carleys lived in Chequers Walk around 1919. Great Grandma Carley had a 'shop', but I imagine it was a front room filled with produce to sell. My Grandma and Mum lived there in the 1920s too. They seemed to work for Jones and Barclay, which was round the corner.

Maggiemur and Shortie There is a pic of Chequers Walk way back in 2012 , which in my opinion doesn't do it justice. It started just over the crest of the hill in Granville St it ran up behind an electrical wholesaler(A Berkeley} next to that a garage I cant remember the next building next to the garage but after that there was the Salvation Army Mens sheltered accommodation next to that was St Thomas's school then I'm sure there was a couple of houses then came Bath Row , I would guess give or take the odd inch it was about 500/600 yards long if not longer . I lived down the road in William St 1955-69 I walked up and down there regularly

The backs of 32 - 33, Cliveland Street. That box above the window is in an awkward place perhaps there was access through the wall from the attic.
Bks32_33 Cliveland.jpg

The fronts of 30 - 33, Cliveland Street. Using long exposure the cameraman asked the children to stand very still but it looks like they did not.
ClivelandStreet.jpg

The backs of 32 - 33, Cliveland Street. That box above the window is in an awkward place perhaps there was access through the wall from the attic.
View attachment 131732

The fronts of 30 - 33, Cliveland Street. Using long exposure the cameraman asked the children to stand very still but it looks like they did not.
View attachment 131733

Jan 1876, Georges Cardoe, prosecuted for allowing nuisances to exist on premises owned. 30-33 Cliveland Street.

Back