• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Courtyards and yards of brum

I am new to this forum and have been avidly trying to find pictures of the back houses of Dolobran Road Sparkbrook. They were demolished circa 1972 . My family were one of the last to live there prior to the demolition . There were approximately 5 x 6 rows of houses there may have been more. It would also be interesting to see the houses that were replaced by local authority properties approx 1974, that were actually on Dolobran Road. Some of the houses still exist. We lived 1/27 Dolobran Road.
Here hoping to hear something soon. Blessings

Hi Les,

Welcome to you, I have to admit that I have never seen a photo of Dolobran Road let alone any of the back courts off it, though I did know somebody who lived in one of the street fronting replacement houses. I am posting a plan showing the back courts on Dolobran Road to help you locate the court you want exactly.

dolobran.jpg

I am new to this forum and have been avidly trying to find pictures of the back houses of Dolobran Road Sparkbrook. They were demolished circa 1972 . My family were one of the last to live there prior to the demolition . There were approximately 5 x 6 rows of houses there may have been more. It would also be interesting to see the houses that were replaced by local authority properties approx 1974, that were actually on Dolobran Road. Some of the houses still exist. We lived 1/27 Dolobran Road.
Here hoping to hear something soon. Blessings
Not exactly the photos you are looking for but there are these aerial photos (dated 1946) of the area showing one end of Dolobran Road near Christ Church.
xDolobran 1946.jpg

DolobranRd1946.jpg
images are from 'britainfromabove'

Houses 3, 4, and 5, in Court 3, Blews Street, and looks like some refurbishment work was in progress.
3_4_5 in 3crt Blews.jpg

View from the other end of Court 3, Blews Street.
Blews.jpg
Shoothill

Last edited:
cracking photos phil....any idea which blews st this is as i think we had 2...for certain one was off manchester st newtown but cant remember now where i had seen another blews st...well i think i did:rolleyes:

lyn

cracking photos phil....any idea which blews st this is as i think we had 2...for certain one was off manchester st newtown but cant remember now where i had seen another blews st...well i think i did:rolleyes:

lyn
I assumed it was Blews Street in the Newtown area but am not 100% sure. I understand there was a Blews Street in the Springhill area. I can't see any way of proving which one it was at the moment.
Phil

Scanning the Blews Street entries in SEARCH suggests, Blews Street is in Newton. Blews Street West, it is suggested, was near Spring Hill, being later known as Rosebery Street when the tram depot was built. Can't guarantee it however. ;)

This map from 1917 shows another Blews Street

View attachment 129369
An interesting point on this map is the tramway in Miller Street not only going into the actual depot, but the little loop into the corporation yard. Why?, what? What tram routes were in Newtown Row? The canal is only identifiable by reference to wharfs along its bans, including Corporation Wharf, but the tramways are heavily and clearly marked. Also what information there is on the map, houses clearly marked various works etc identified, street names clear and legible but where is the entrance to the inner basin and are those steps going up into Brewery Street? However that is enough to tax your brains for today.

Bob

Back