• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Courtyards and yards of brum

Hi Cuppatea,

reference Coplow Street, did you by any chance know a family called Haycock?

G

I'm afraid the family had moved out of the area by the time I was born. My family was Harris, and there were also Holloway's, my Uncle would remember.

I'm glad the photo's were of interest; just one more of my nan in my grandparents fishing tackle shop...I will try and find out where it was.

fishingtackleshop.jpg

This picture from post #70 - This court is often misidentified as Geach Street as it was adjacent to Geach Street which ran behind the houses off photo on the left. It is actually court 4 (The Barracks), Guildford Street. In the mid 50s we would be looking at:
just off picture to the left number 4 John and Maud Tonkinson,
first house shown on the left number 5 John and Anne Taylor,
next number 6 George and Ada Wells,
number 7 Albert and Joyce Grimes,
number 8 Charles and Grace Hayes,
round the corner from number 8, mostly out of shot, the miskins,
Far right the lavs

Geach Street Court_.jpg

I wonder if anyone has any pics of the back houses in Tilton Road?
I lived at 8 B/69 in the late 1960s

Kind regards

Dave

Hi Dave there is one pic of back houses in Tilton Road on this thread marked the back of scotts place post #203

I have perused through these historical photographs with great interest and admiration. Thankyou Lyn and everyone for posting them, I"m sure it took a great deal of time and preparation. I would like to impose on anyone who may have pictures of Alma Crescent in Vauxhall I lived there at #27 when I was a little whippa snapper.

Thankyou, Have a nice day, Wally.

Hi Bernie

Many thanks for the pics, My place was in the last yard before the bomb site
opposite the Royal George

Kind regards

Dave

I have perused through these historical photographs with great interest and admiration. Thankyou Lyn and everyone for posting them, I"m sure it took a great deal of time and preparation. I would like to impose on anyone who may have pictures of Alma Crescent in Vauxhall I lived there at #27 when I was a little whippa snapper.

Thankyou, Have a nice day, Wally.

hi wally...alma crescent is ringing bells with me...im sure i have either seen or posted a pic of it...you could try trawling through the VARIOUS STREET PICS thread...

lyn

Every time I look at these photos posted on this forum, I think to myself that each on contains some memories of the past, the people and their lives.

Every time we demolished a building, a house or factory, then a little part of out memories have been erased.

Isn’t it just fortunate that someone took the time and the trouble to take a photograph, and capture that special moment in time.

I think what I am trying to say, is a very big thank you, to all the people who take the time and the trouble to post these photos, and save some of these special memories, which, like out pasts are so important to us.

Thank you.

I'm afraid the family had moved out of the area by the time I was born. My family was Harris, and there were also Holloway's, my Uncle would remember.

I'm glad the photo's were of interest; just one more of my nan in my grandparents fishing tackle shop...I will try and find out where it was.

fishingtackleshop.jpg

Alf Harris's fishing tackle shop - near junction of Northbrook Street and Dudley Road - wonderful pic - brings back the smell of the maggots kept in a tray under the counter and the oiled nets hanging up on the right - most of my fishing tackle came from the shop - I've still got most of it too!

I do agree with everyone the photo's on here are amazing. Cupatea I love your nans tackle shop. Just a reminder the small pictures posted from coppermine can be clicked on to make larger the more you click the larger the picture will be. This method saves space.

Exeter_Place.jpg I have no idea where Exeter Place was??

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou both for your replies. I have already tried your suggestion Lyn, scanning through all the pictures I could find but no luck. I will keep watching, Thankyou both.

Have a nice day, Wally.

wally i hate it when things niggle at me...im sure ive seen a pic somewhere of alma crescent because i remember thinking to myself i bets thats in alma st until i read the caption and found out it was not...im on the hunt now...

oh wally was that the full address or was alma crescent in a street..because as you know we can get off shoots of crescents in streets or roads..

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn, Alma Crescent was a street, the part I lived on was between Dollman St down to Inkerman St. We lived in the house on the street and there was about another 12 to 14 houses up the yard at the back of us. On the Dollman St corner there used to be a Bakery that baked there own bread. They also sold Pork Drippin, which my Mom used to spread on a sandwich, Boy! was that good....
Have a nice day, Wally.

Lyn, Alma Crescent was a street, the part I lived on was between Dollman St down to Inkerman St. We lived in the house on the street and there was about another 12 to 14 houses up the yard at the back of us. On the Dollman St corner there used to be a Bakery that baked there own bread. They also sold Pork Drippin, which my Mom used to spread on a sandwich, Boy! was that good....
Have a nice day, Wally.

ok wally understood...i shall have a good go tomorrow trying to find a pic for you..oh i love drippin on toast even now...with a sprinkle of salt....
mind you the bought dripping is not as good as that which comes from cooking the sunday roast...

lyn

Hi Wally,Alma Cr
th_almacrescent.jpg
escent is all new factory units now.This is the only building you may remember.It is taken in Alma Crescent and looking towards Dollman st.moss

Attachments

• alma crescent.jpg
    alma crescent.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 86
Hi Michael,
I have just been looking at your posted photos of your Mom & Dad's wedding photo taken in Eden place.
My ancestors were living at no 2 & 3 Eden place in 1861 onward with the name of DERRINGTON.
I wonder if in 1922 any of them were still living there?
2 great photos.

Jim

Wendy, Exeter Place, 64 Anderton Street, B1, according to my old Wakelin's Street Guide. This Guide was my parents and is so useful for look ups like this. I even found Alma Crescent.

I find all these types of photo's and stories really great and it takes right back to my home city although I left a long time ago it makes it all so real again.
paul

hi podgery
i remember old redhill terrace i used to live around the corner in speedwell road and my kids used to go to the red hill schol for years
and they had the old air raid shelter there up till about two years ago they have demolished now
they kept all the old class room chairs and desked in there
i will take a look at the picture thanks astonian

Hi Astonian I lived in Arthur terrace for about nine years, i went to redhill school then on to bierton road. I have been searching for photos of the terrace but up till now i only have the two i think cameras were a luxury when i was a kid.
hi podgery
i remember old redhill terrace i used to live around the corner in speedwell road and my kids used to go to the red hill schol for years
and they had the old air raid shelter there up till about two years ago they have demolished now
they kept all the old class room chairs and desked in there
i will take a look at the picture thanks astonian

What a lovely photo Podgery. I think it was taken in the early 1900's as some of the boys have Eton collars on, and I have a photo of my Dad wearing one of those as a young boy.

Judy

Back