• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Court Farm Primary Tedbury Crescent School Erdington

Bob,
Royal blue blazers with a bright pink shield and a blue 'E' to be precise. I can't wear those colours together even now without thinking I'm back at school.

Morturn,
I was searching through my photos the other day and found the one of Mr Mortiboys. I'm sitting on his lap (wouldn't be allowed today!) and a note on the back says that it was taken my Mr H which I presume means Mr Hill. We were on the only school trip I went on and I think it was something to do with puffins but can't remember what. I seem to remember that the girl next to us was named Janice but don't know who the boys were.
Deleted

Bob

Last edited:
just a reminder please folks to stay within the topic of this thread...

thanks all

lyn

I have to say Pen, Mr Mortiboys was quite a descent teacher. He ran a lot of the schools extracurricular activity and would always be with he football or cricket team late at night all weather.

Sorry Lyn, will try not to stray again!

Morturn,
I didn't actually have Mr Mortiboys as a teacher but he always seemed very pleasant. I spoke to 'Mary Queen of Scots' last night but she'd only stepped in when the original girl was unable to take part. If I remember correctly there were two classes to each year and I think those in the picture are all the same age except Mary, she was a year older. I thought it was in my brother's final year which was 1956 but apparently likely to be 1954. No new names to add to the list.

I attended Court Farm Junior school from 67-68. I was in Mr Hill's class. I had been expelled from a couple of schools until arriving there, he kept me in order, although he did deprive me of a football medal because I had misbehaved in class, never forgot that, but also never forgot that I respected him hugely. I remember three people. Mark Mason who's dad was a councillor, Janette Forcett, and Robert Smith. All three of us passed our 11+. Robert was in fact my best (possibly only) friend at Junior school and senior school, we both went to Marsh Hill Grammar Tech. Robert matched me in academics and sports and we competed against each other often, although we drifted apart after school. Robert got a degree and became an accountant I believe. I don't have any pictures of the school, but do have one taken of me at the time I was there. I remember all of the class rooms and layout well. We used to play British Bulldog in the play ground, and cricket ball throwing (where the wooden train sits in the photo in one of the posts). I once had semolina for school dinner (never ever had semolina again) and this was a time when if you put food on your plate you had to finish it.

This photo came to light the other day (when Robinson Crusoe came round to see us) and oldMohawk and Frothblower very kindly restored it for me (thank you chaps).

I remember my brother (the highwayman) taking part and Mom making his costume but I can't remember what year it was. Probably mid-50's.

Here are the ones I can identify: Robinson Crusoe - John Hurdman, Highwayman - Alaric Bennett, Teacher - Mr Keeping, Queen Elizabeth I - Pauline Hackett, Runner - Roy Goulden, Jockey - David Smith, Mary Queen of Scots - Veronica Mold, Girl on Jockey's right - Brenda Smith, Sir Walter Raleigh - David Illingworth, middle elf - Brian Arthur. The young people in the photo are about 74 now.

Hi there Lady P I've just found this photo and I'm Barry Hart (in the bowler hat two on the left of the PC -Stanley Povey. I remember Alaric well. I lived next door to David Illingworth. I can identify these people .... ( apologies for spelling mistakes!) Roy Goulden, Roger Ralph, Brian Arthur, Roy Brannigan, Linda Barstow, Brenda Smith, Roy Francis, ? (Male) Joyce, Susan Pattern, ? (Female) Harris and John Hurdman. I left in 1956 and went to Stockland Green School.

Hi there Lady P I've just found this photo and I'm Barry Hart (in the bowler hat two on the left of the PC -Stanley Povey. I remember Alaric well. I lived next door to David Illingworth. I can identify these people .... ( apologies for spelling mistakes!) Roy Goulden, Roger Ralph, Brian Arthur, Roy Brannigan, Linda Barstow, Brenda Smith, Roy Francis, ? (Male) Joyce, Susan Pattern, ? (Female) Harris and John Hurdman. I left in 1956 and went to Stockland Green School.

Hi Barry, lovely to hear from you! Can you remember which characters the people you mention played? I've got to add Diane Shelly (think I've got that right) to the list. I think she's the pretty blonde girl next to Brenda Smith. I'm putting the photo here to save you going backwards and forwards between pages.

Tedbury Crescent play about 1956..jpg

Hi Barry, lovely to hear from you! Can you remember which characters the people you mention played? I've got to add Diane Shelly (think I've got that right) to the list. I think she's the pretty blonde girl next to Brenda Smith. I'm putting the photo here to save you going backwards and forwards between pages.

View attachment 142781
Hi Lady P, here’s my attempt to put names to faces/characters. Again, apologies for spelling errors!
Stanley Povey - Policeman, Roy Francis - next to jockey, Susan Patten - Florence Nightingale, next to me,
Roy Brannigan - front row extreme left, Pat Butler - front row extreme right, Roger Ralph - next to her (In blazer and tie), there are 3 girls in front of Mr Keeping.... the smallest to the left is Linda Barstow and the middle one is (?) Harris. I have a copy of this old photo too! And another one taken at the same time... just of me!
I am attaching another photo 1953-54 of the school football team. I‘m in the middle row, sitting on the outside next to Head, Mr. Wildgoose, the other teacher is Mr Jones. Sadly I can’t recall the names of the boys as I was one of the youngest!

Thanks Barry, I can't see the picture that you attached. Could you do it again please? I'd love to see it to see if I recognise anyone. The names are filling up on the play picture now thanks to your help.
Rick had one of him on his own in his Highwayman's outfit so I think all the players must have had single ones.

Last edited:
Sorry, I will try again, kept getting msg it was ‘too big for server‘!
And now it appears to be upside down!! Don’t have any idea how to get it the right way ! (Limited ability when it comes to this kind of skill) hope you have ways to fix it!
okay, success!

0CC0B72D-0D34-4A5E-A96A-7DF94DCE3465.jpeg

Fear not! There's always someone around to fix things - unfortunately not me usually. I had to ask how to adjust the picture and Lyn told me 'right click on photo, choose open with - then paint, choose re-size and and change 100 to 40. This should do the trick. I often have trouble with photos being upside down - usually when I've taken them on my phone.

I was hoping I'd recognise someone but the only one I can remember is Mr Jones. I don't even recognise Mr Wildgoose. I'll ask Rick and John when I next see them. Were they all in your year? I'm sure there were pupils from both classes in the other photo except for Veronica (Mary Queen of Scots) who stood in for someone who went on holiday. Veronica was a year older than the rest.

Thanks for the reply Lady P.
No, these boys in the football team were not in my year, probably all older.... i seem to remember that I was one of the youngest and didn’t really know them well enough to remember any names. If they were a year or two older than me, you wouldn’t know them either, but maybe Rick?
Hope someone does.

Barry Hart, not the Barry Hart surely. :)

Stockland Green School 1960 ish starring in Christmas operettas, playing football with me at Perry Common Rec, football team could have been Lion Rangers, but maybe not, that memory is a bit woolly. I thought you were a goalkeeper as well, but maybe wrong on that one too.

Yes! played football on Perry Common Rec. I was at Stockland Green School 1956-1962, Yes, I was a goalkeeper but played out field as well, for Stockland Green School and Erdington District, did you play for School and Sunday team? Lowood ? Albion? / or something like that? Never took part in any operettas!! But do remember them well eg The White Horse Inn and Gypsy Baron! if you remember? Any of these names familiar...David Talboys, Leslie Davis, Roger Crew, Edwin Fell?? So what about you??

Also.... Remember Bill Barnett?? I taught with him in ‘76, at Castle Vale. Also John Blackhall, Mr? Williams and John Wilkins. Remember any of them?

I went to Turfpits Lane 1953/60 and Stockland Green 1960/66. Lived in Streetly Rd and then moved round the corner to Shortheath Rd. 28 bus stop right outside the gate. Yeah, I played cricket and football for Stockland, and Sundays for a variety of teams, The Barn, Brookvale Athletic were two. I remember you in The White Horse Inn, you may have had the lead if my memory is good. I remember all those names, and also Alan Bridgment who I keep in touch with. He moved to Brisbane in 1966 and I caught up with him again on the Friends ReUnited website. Alf Cadby also moved out there.

Bill Barnett was a great Headmaster, he taught us maths as well. Blackhall was TD, Williams (AF) geography who married the music teacher Miss Findlay, and Wilkins was my form teacher in the 4th year. Also Rubidge then Thompson PE. Miss Harrison, Humphries Woodwork, and Cooke metalwork. Winchcombe played the tuba in the brass band which Barnett conducted. and Howells maths. There was a history teacher Harrison was my form teacher in 1H. Fred Davies English form teacher 3H and Mrs Grigg French.

They were great days and bring back some very fond memories.

My great grandpa was the caretaker at Tedbury crescent school in early 1940’s, not sure how many years he was there. His name was George Hurley (nickname Jack), I have never seen a photo of him and wondered if anyone can help me find one? I was born in England but we moved to Canada in 1970; my mom told me she went to this school in1944 and my grandpa was caretaker then. Any help is much appreciated.

Hello, my first posting on this thread - be gentle with me!

I just wanted to share one of those 'small world innit' coincidences but first my Court Farm credentials. Started in 1955 and my teachers in more or less the right order were: (Miss/Mrs/Mr) Keeping, Gilbert, Jones - lovely lady, wooden classrooms - Griffiths, Sinclair (twice). Also notable, Mr Hill, and Mr Mortiboys who ran the sports teams. Mr Wildgoose was the head for my first year only which was also the year my sister Dianne left to go to Waverly grammar. Dianne Shelley, she get's a mention earlier on the thread. Miss Codling was then the head for the duration of my very happy stay. The caretakers were Mr Barrow(s) and then Mr Gumley: how can I remember this stuff and not know what I came downstairs for?!!!

Anyway, my wife and I left Birmingham in 1975 never to return except for family and the Villa - not necessarily in that order! Our junior son was born and raised in Reading and moved to Brighton where he met his now wife. Early on word came back that her mother came originally from Birmingham but we couldn't get any more information out of the kids. So, when we eventually met the in-laws the conversation went something like this:

'I understand you come from Birmingham',- 'Yes, Erdington',

'Whereabouts in Erdington', - 'Goosemoor Lane',

Hair starts to prickle on the back of the neck!

'You didn't go to Court Farm Primary did you?' Well, you can guess the rest, turns out she and her older sister would walk past our house (two doors down from the Leopard) every day on their way to school. The Mother in Law is a few years younger than me so our paths would not have crossed but I've just found out her elder sister who sadly died , I think in her thirties, was born in 1951, the same year as me. She wasn't in my year so I’m pretty sure she would have been in the class below. As I say, small world isn’t it!

David Shelley

Hi D Sh,

Welcome to the forum. Nice to meet you.

I went past the Leopard the other day and it's been turned into apartments/flats. It looked really good - I'll take a photo next time I'm passing. We lived in the pre-fab next to the park gates. Dad grew rambling roses and they grew all over the park fence. I left Court Farm in the spring of 1958 so we must have been there at the same time at some point.

Just two questions - Anyone you know that could help with any missing names on the first picture?
and
Whereabouts in Goosemoor Lane did your relatives live?

Back