• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Court Farm Primary Tedbury Crescent School Erdington

I emailed a former pupil (3 years ahead of me - born Spring 1944) and he shared a memory from 1953. He recalls the whole of the school (maybe just juniors) being walked up in a crocodile to the Plaza Cinema on Stockland Green to watch films of the Coronation and the climbing of Everest.

Unfortunately he had no recollection of the play and therefore couldn't add to the names of the pupils on the picture. All is not lost though as I still have to 'interview' Mary Queen of Scots!
Ask her if she remembers Andrew, Lesley and Linda Davies, her neighbours opposite the park (and the prefabs) on Court Lane. :)

Hi, I'm a new member and was delighted to find the Tedbury Crescent thread. We too lived on Court Lane, but in the council houses opposite the park. Our names were Andrew (1943), Lesley (1944) and Linda Davies (1946). There was a girl called Suzanne Gray who lived down your end, in the private houses. A neighbour of ours was Veronica Mold. Those are the only Court Lane names I remember. I too moved to Canada in my late 20s and am now almost 75 and living in Toronto.
Susan Gray and her brother Barry have both passed away a few years ago. Their cousin Linda Gray lived two door up from me at 366 and we have maintained our friendship still, Linda did not go to Tedbury Crescent her parents choosing Boldmere instead. I am three days short of my 80th and reside now in Bayshore Village, Brechin on Lake Simcoe.

The last time I saw Barry Gray was when he came to Toronto to visit friends and we hooked up for dinner at the CN Tower, he was a heavy drinker and that caught up with him a few years later and caused his death.

Here's the one with Mr W & Mr J on. Can't think of any others at the moment.
There was a fund raiser at the school a short while ago....for laptops during Covid I think. My brother and sister drove there from Alcester and both gave them a nice cheque.

You thought your brother might have been in my year. What was his name? The only names I can truly remember were Colin Knibbs (Nibbs/Nibs) Peter Pitt, Alan Ball and Brian Gee. There was a poor little lad named Trevor when I was in Miss Peter's infant(?) class. He was shamed almost daily for not having washed his neck. How times change!

Last edited:
I think you must have been a year ahead of my brother. I remember the names you mention and don't think they were in his year. He was born March 1945. We lived in the end pre-fab by the middle gate (opposite Jerry's Lane).

I recall Alan Ball as a lad older than me at Court Farm School. He also had a couple of sisters, Judy and Jenny, they lived on Reagan Cresent opposte Stanwell Grove.

I think you must have been a year ahead of my brother. I remember the names you mention and don't think they were in his year. He was born March 1945. We lived in the end pre-fab by the middle gate (opposite Jerry's Lane).
Are you Penny Bennett...and did you have a brother Alec? If so, my brother Andy remembers you.....and a motorbike....and an accident.

That is me! My brother's name was Alaric but quite often mistaken for more usual names and for years he's been Rick. No to the motorbike but yes to the accident. Still going though. Was David Reeves in your year?

Hi T.B I remember Peter Pit well was very friendly with him.We played soccer for the school and I posted the photo of the football team including Mr Wildgoose and Mr Jones.....I'm Barry Hart sitting next to Mr W.......were you older or younger than Peter P?

Having looked at the soccer team photo again after reading Toronto Brummie's comments ,I'm wondering if the captain is Peter Pitt?

hi just found this site i was in court farm1952- 1959 people i remember the mc gregor twins , christine younge,
I went to Tedbury Crescent school from 1945-48, we lived on Cout Lane opposite the Greyhound Pub. I can remember the sweet shop on ? Court Farm Road and in my day if you were lucky you could buy a bruised apple for a Farthing !!
I can still remember where my classroom was situated the end room in the main school area, not the wooden building across from it. This is where I learned to read and my first book was Old Lob about a farmer.
My Mum continued to live on Court Lane from 1939 up until 2011 when we had to move her into a nursing home which was built on the land where the Pavillion Cinema stood. I left TC in 1948 and went to Sir Josia Masons on Chester Road, had to walk all the way down Sycamore Rd to catch the #28 bus to the school. I am now 80 years young and have lived in Canada for the past 55 years
Robin
I lived up the road at 396 from 39 to 59 and Mum and Dad left about 61, I went to Green Lanes and BVGS, the boy Edwards whose Dad ran the Greyhound also went to BVGS. The only names of Children were John and Jill Milner, Barry and Susan Gray and the Glendon or Glendenning boys who lived just below you. The only other name was Barry Maddock whose Dad owned the shop by the bus stop.

Barry Hart, not the Barry Hart surely. :)

Stockland Green School 1960 ish starring in Christmas operettas, playing football with me at Perry Common Rec, football team could have been Lion Rangers, but maybe not, that memory is a bit woolly. I thought you were a goalkeeper as well, but maybe wrong on that one too.
hi barry i remember you at stockland green i started there in 1960 i to was in the operetters and school plays in fact i had a staring roll and love scene but i got my lines mixed up going to the end scene less than 5 minutes into
the play and they had to close the curtains my acting carrier was over,remember people in my class KELVIN WIGGET JOSE ALLAN ALAN STANDING COLIN BLAKE LIND BUNT left uk in 1977 after serving in RAF AND MOVED TO CANADA ian searle

Hi Lady P. I'm still searching for that other photo with Mr. Wildgoose and Mr. Jones. Failed so far....but I see that you have named Veronica Mold as Mary Queen of Scots. She lived next door but 2 to us, the Davies family, on Court Lane. I remember she came on a rare, little holiday to Bournemouth (I think) with us and cried all the time. Mom phoned her dad to come and get her. I remember he had a motor bike and sidecar. We didn't have a vehicle. Come to that, we didn't have a phone. :)

I am writing a book of my life through Storyworth.com and this week's question is how did you get to school?. Well, my first school was Tedbury Crescent 1946-1948 and I was wondering if anyone has access to photos of the school itself that were taken in 1940-the 50s. If so please send me a link.

I am writing a book of my life through Storyworth.com and this week's question is how did you get to school?. Well, my first school was Tedbury Crescent 1946-1948 and I was wondering if anyone has access to photos of the school itself that were taken in 1940-the 50s. If so please send me a link.
Hi , I’m thinking you must be Robin Searl. I was Jennifer Spiers, I lived in the cottage next to the Greyhound. I was born in 1946, my brother Anthony born in 1944, my sister Christine born in 1936. I remember all the neighbours that you mentioned previously . Was your dad a policeman or have I got that wrong ? The two photos below are of Coronation Day Parade, you will be able to see your old house and maybe recognise a few faces.

Attachments

• A8DEE11B-9C9F-4E38-B9A1-1F80E6630991.jpeg
    A8DEE11B-9C9F-4E38-B9A1-1F80E6630991.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • 98EDD4B1-D20C-4E97-ACBA-78FB9459B921.jpeg
    98EDD4B1-D20C-4E97-ACBA-78FB9459B921.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
Hi , I’m thinking you must be Robin Searl. I was Jennifer Spiers, I lived in the cottage next to the Greyhound. I was born in 1946, my brother Anthony born in 1944, my sister Christine born in 1936. I remember all the neighbours that you mentioned previously . Was your dad a policeman or have I got that wrong ? The two photos below are of Coronation Day Parade, you will be able to see your old house and maybe recognise a few faces.
Super pictures, I assume the Midland Red bus stop is the one opposite the Greyhound/Davies' shop going up Court Lane. The name Christine Spiers rings a bell, but I can't think why. I lived further up Court Lane at 396. The one with the pointed porch. I was also born in 1936. I had a sister Yvonne.
Bob

Hi Jennifer, Yes I remember all three of you. Yes my Dad was a Mounted Policeman and he did that for 35 years before retiring, he passed away in 1991, Mum ]Ruby] lived at 362 for a total of 74 years, until I had to move her into first a seniors residence then a nursing home, she passed away in 2016 at 97 years. My long-term memory is still good and correct me if I am wrong but did your sister have Polio for a short time??
I still keep in touch with Linda Grey who lived almost opposite you at 366 Court Lane, she moved to Australia a year after I moved to Canada in 1967; my wife and I visited her three times when we were in Australia. The first time Linda's mum was living in Australia and when we met up 'Aunty Marge' as I called her said 'Oh it is little Robin' before giving me a hug.
I remember Anthony driving a truck[lorry] I think for Atlas ??
Interesting my wife and I named our first daughter Jennifer as in 1972 that name was not a common first name at that time.. Bob, I remember your family as it shared the same name as the owner of the little grocery store across from Mum at 362.

Robin

Hi Jennifer, Yes I remember all three of you. Yes my Dad was a Mounted Policeman and he did that for 35 years before retiring, he passed away in 1991, Mum ]Ruby] lived at 362 for a total of 74 years, until I had to move her into first a seniors residence then a nursing home, she passed away in 2016 at 97 years. My long-term memory is still good and correct me if I am wrong but did your sister have Polio for a short time??
I still keep in touch with Linda Grey who lived almost opposite you at 366 Court Lane, she moved to Australia a year after I moved to Canada in 1967; my wife and I visited her three times when we were in Australia. The first time Linda's mum was living in Australia and when we met up 'Aunty Marge' as I called her said 'Oh it is little Robin' before giving me a hug.
I remember Anthony driving a truck[lorry] I think for Atlas ??
Interesting my wife and I named our first daughter Jennifer as in 1972 that name was not a common first name at that time.. Bob, I remember your family as it shared the same name as the owner of the little grocery store across from Mum at 362.

Robin
Hi Robin, yes you are correct, Chris did have polio, she was about 12 I think, I was too young to remember it but it has affected her whole life . I’m amazed that you remembered that Tony worked for Atlas Express , he worked there for about 25 years. In 1987 he started his own computer programming business , a month before his 43rd birthday he had a massive heart attack and passed away. Dreadful shock , such a long time ago now.

I remember Gary Sorley getting married and moving next door to your mom, his mom lived next door to Davis shop in our block of Cottages . And do you remember the other block of cottages, at one end was a little cobblers shop called Mr Dunlevy at the other end was Mr and Mrs Booker with their son Freddie. And when Tony Griffiths married Kay they lived in one of those cottages for a while. I was in Frankie Griffiths class all the way through Infant and junior at Court Farm.

Hi Robin, yes you are correct, Chris did have polio, she was about 12 I think, I was too young to remember it but it has affected her whole life . I’m amazed that you remembered that Tony worked for Atlas Express , he worked there for about 25 years. In 1987 he started his own computer programming business , a month before his 43rd birthday he had a massive heart attack and passed away. Dreadful shock , such a long time ago now.

I remember Gary Sorley getting married and moving next door to your mom, his mom lived next door to Davis shop in our block of Cottages . And do you remember the other block of cottages, at one end was a little cobblers shop called Mr Dunlevy at the other end was Mr and Mrs Booker with their son Freddie. And when Tony Griffiths married Kay they lived in one of those cottages for a while. I was in Frankie Griffiths class all the way through Infant and junior at Court Farm.
Thanks forrthereminderaboutthe cobblers shop
Bob

Truly shocked by the news of Anthony's passing so early in life. My wife and I on a visit to check on Mum were in Beatties in Sutton when I heard someone asking if I was Robin Searle? turned out to be Frankie Griffiths. He told us that Tony had left Kay and the kids and was living with an 'older woman., I remember Freddie Booker's name he lived in the house on the side of the decorator's yard. I remember Mr. Dunlevy was always referred to as 'Old Dunlevy'
Gary Sorley was kicked out of 364 when Gaye his wife died by his eldest daughter Yvonne and she influenced her sister Anita something to do with Yvonne expected to inherit her grandmother's house and did not, same with expensive gifts from a family friend that both kids called Uncle Yvonne handed a piece of jewelry back one Christmas as not good enough
My brother Ian, who also lives in Canada, was always a friend of Gary and when in the UK he stayed at Gary's home, Ian became Gary's executor and when Gary passed away the decision was made not to inform the kids as they had not communicated with their dad for many years and Ian knew that if Yvonne knew that there was a possibility of inheritance money she would pop out of the woodwork. Gary lived in a trailer home and Ian flew over for Gary's cremation and totally refurbished the trailer then sold it. Ian and Gary were both Steam train nuts and much of Gary's money went to the steam train club, with one last request that Gary's ashes be disposed of into the fire of the steam train as it crossed over a river with three toots of the steam whistle; not a new request as they had done it several times before.
Susan Grey and her brother Barry have both passed away sadly Susan with CA and Barrie drank himself to death. One last memory was your Dad created quite a stir on Court Lane when he bought a German VW Beetle car.!!.
Funny at 80 I can remember things from years ago yet at times I briefly forget my three GKs names??.

I went to Tedbury Crescent school from 1945-48, we lived on Cout Lane opposite the Greyhound Pub. I can remember the sweet shop on ? Court Farm Road and in my day if you were lucky you could buy a bruised apple for a Farthing !!
I can still remember where my classroom was situated the end room in the main school area, not the wooden building across from it. This is where I learned to read and my first book was Old Lob about a farmer.
My Mum continued to live on Court Lane from 1939 up until 2011 when we had to move her into a nursing home which was built on the land where the Pavillion Cinema stood. I left TC in 1948 and went to Sir Josia Masons on Chester Road, had to walk all the way down Sycamore Rd to catch the #28 bus to the school. I am now 80 years young and have lived in Canada for the past 55 years
Hi peoples I am Chrissie Parry formerly Spiers, and it’s really nice to hear news of neighbours from the past. Because I’m so old, I think 4 years older than you Robin, I remember so much and I think you mean Allen’s in Jerry’s Lane where you bought your apple. When I was little I envied Gary Sorley because he had a fire can and my Mom said I couldn’t have one because I was a girl! It is a sign of age when you can remember things from so long ago. I drove round old familiar places with my Sister not long ago and drove up past the back entrance to our old school, now not used, and the railings that the girls used to hang over by their legs, all replaced. Did we show our knickers, too late to worry about that now

Truly shocked by the news of Anthony's passing so early in life. My wife and I on a visit to check on Mum were in Beatties in Sutton when I heard someone asking if I was Robin Searle? turned out to be Frankie Griffiths. He told us that Tony had left Kay and the kids and was living with an 'older woman., I remember Freddie Booker's name he lived in the house on the side of the decorator's yard. I remember Mr. Dunlevy was always referred to as 'Old Dunlevy'
Gary Sorley was kicked out of 364 when Gaye his wife died by his eldest daughter Yvonne and she influenced her sister Anita something to do with Yvonne expected to inherit her grandmother's house and did not, same with expensive gifts from a family friend that both kids called Uncle Yvonne handed a piece of jewelry back one Christmas as not good enough
My brother Ian, who also lives in Canada, was always a friend of Gary and when in the UK he stayed at Gary's home, Ian became Gary's executor and when Gary passed away the decision was made not to inform the kids as they had not communicated with their dad for many years and Ian knew that if Yvonne knew that there was a possibility of inheritance money she would pop out of the woodwork. Gary lived in a trailer home and Ian flew over for Gary's cremation and totally refurbished the trailer then sold it. Ian and Gary were both Steam train nuts and much of Gary's money went to the steam train club, with one last request that Gary's ashes be disposed of into the fire of the steam train as it crossed over a river with three toots of the steam whistle; not a new request as they had done it several times before.
Susan Grey and her brother Barry have both passed away sadly Susan with CA and Barrie drank himself to death. One last memory was your Dad created quite a stir on Court Lane when he bought a German VW Beetle car.!!.
Funny at 80 I can remember things from years ago yet at times I briefly forget my three of
Funny at 80 I can remember things from years ago yet at times I briefly forget my three GKs names??.

Sorry to read about Barry and Susan. Do you know what happened to John and Jill Milner?
Bob

hi just found this site i was in court farm1952- 1959 people i remember the mc gregor twins , christine younge,
Super pictures, I assume the Midland Red bus stop is the one opposite the Greyhound/Davies' shop going up Court Lane. The name Christine Spiers rings a bell, but I can't think why. I lived further up Court Lane at 396. The one with the pointed porch. I was also born in 1936. I had a sister Yvonne.
Bob
I wish I could remember your family but you do mention people I knew. Some members remember me because I had Polio, why it couldn’t have been for my beauty and charm still thems the breaks. Do you remember Bernard Wells and David Dawson, Barry Maddox used to send me Speedway programmes when I was in Hospital a really nice thought.

I wish I could remember your family but you do mention people I knew. Some members remember me because I had Polio, why it couldn’t have been for my beauty and charm still thems the breaks. Do you remember Bernard Wells and David Dawson, Barry Maddox used to send me Speedway programmes when I was in Hospital a really nice thought.
Bernard Wells and David Dawson, the names ring bells, particularly Bernard Wells.. unfortunately as children my mother ensured that we led solitary, secluded lives, not allowed to mix or socialise locally, which is why we went to Green Lanes and then my sister to Boldmere.

Mods, I apologise this thread is slightly moving away from its title. Sorry

Bob

Hi Chrissyp. Sorry to have remembered polio but when I was 3-4? my mother was worried about me being lethargic and sent for Dr. Butler; his preliminary prognosis was a strong suspicion of polio and he took some blood from me. It came back with some evidence of polio, but many weeks later after another blood test is showed negative, according to my mother years later. David Dawson always wanted to be a policeman and spent time speaking with my Dad, he joined the police cadets then later became a policeman; however, he could not take being on his own for night duty so he quit the Birmingham police.
The name Bernard Wells certainly rings a bell but that is all, Barry Maddox because of the newsagent shop next to Moores.
John Milner also moved to British Columbia Canada his sister Jill married and had two kids then up and left them all and joined a Cult !!. Years later she left and tried to connect with her kids again, not 100% successful though; my Mum used to go up to Mrs. Milner and do some of her grocery shopping and for 'tea and chat' daily.
Another name comes to mind Keith Woods which brings back a 'could have been horrific' memory as kids we used to light fires to try and roast potatoes stole from the field alongside the up-the-back lane behind our houses. Keith Woods's dad had a concrete garage and I remember that it was drizzling rain one day so we decided to light a fire inside his garage on the slab floor. I suspect the wood was damp and despite fanning, it would not catch, Keith grabbed his fathers WW2 jerry can flip the lid and proceeded to pour some petrol onto the embers; I can vividly remember seeing the flame slowly climbing up the petrol coming out of the jerry can, I snapped the lid closed and there was no explosion due to lack of air. Had it exploded then all four or five of us would have been badly burnt.
I also remember Chipman's donkeys in the field at the top of Court Lane and Chester Road and Dr. Silks' office across the road from them on Chester Road./ Antrobus Rd corner.

Hi Chrissyp. Sorry to have remembered polio but when I was 3-4? my mother was worried about me being lethargic and sent for Dr. Butler; his preliminary prognosis was a strong suspicion of polio and he took some blood from me. It came back with some evidence of polio, but many weeks later after another blood test is showed negative, according to my mother years later. David Dawson always wanted to be a policeman and spent time speaking with my Dad, he joined the police cadets then later became a policeman; however, he could not take being on his own for night duty so he quit the Birmingham police.
The name Bernard Wells certainly rings a bell but that is all, Barry Maddox because of the newsagent shop next to Moores.
John Milner also moved to British Columbia Canada his sister Jill married and had two kids then up and left them all and joined a Cult !!. Years later she left and tried to connect with her kids again, not 100% successful though; my Mum used to go up to Mrs. Milner and do some of her grocery shopping and for 'tea and chat' daily.
Another name comes to mind Keith Woods which brings back a 'could have been horrific' memory as kids we used to light fires to try and roast potatoes stole from the field alongside the up-the-back lane behind our houses. Keith Woods's dad had a concrete garage and I remember that it was drizzling rain one day so we decided to light a fire inside his garage on the slab floor. I suspect the wood was damp and despite fanning, it would not catch, Keith grabbed his fathers WW2 jerry can flip the lid and proceeded to pour some petrol onto the embers; I can vividly remember seeing the flame slowly climbing up the petrol coming out of the jerry can, I snapped the lid closed and there was no explosion due to lack of air. Had it exploded then all four or five of us would have been badly burnt.
I also remember Chipman's donkeys in the field at the top of Court Lane and Chester Road and Dr. Silks' office across the road from them on Chester Road./ Antrobus Rd corner.

Hi Robin, so many memories come back ( this nostalgia must be age related) do you remember when Mr Lawrence had the shop before Mr.Moore. He had a daughter Shirley who I was friendly with and one year for her Birthday he hired 3 donkeys for Shirley and 2 friends, so I went along with Charlie Edwards. We processed over Antrobus rd and along Boldmere rd and on into Sutton Park, but typically I dropped my sandwich which wasn’t so good with sand on. Before Mr.Maddox took on that little shop it had been a place where bits and bobs were put out of the way, and to our delight Shirley and I discovery large sweet jars empty but with bits of boiled sweets stuck on the sides. 2 knives and a lot of jabbing went on but we really enjoyed those bits of boiled sweet.

Hi Robin

Can’t believe the scrapes you lads got up to back then . Tony used to go up to the woods ,where they built Fernwood Road ,on his bike , was always coming home with torn knees, got so much dirt and grit in his knees he developed septicaemia and was in hospital for a week being pumped full of penicillin . When Esso built the petrol station on Chester Road my dad , who was a Co-op Insurance man, worked there two afternoons a week and used to park his (German) car there overnight . He also did the garden for them. When Esso took over in 1965 they offered him the tenancy of a Service Station at Gaydon , so he went, that’s why I got married so that Tony and me didn’t have to go too. My marriage lasted 15 years but had two fabulous children so no regrets.

Not really about Tedbury Crescent but earlier on this thread the swings at the park were mentioned. I took this photo the other day and was going to call it 'Death of a Playground'.
So that's what the concrete is? I walk the dog through there and wondered what it was for, not being able to work out how cars would travel from the small car park. It never occured to me that they would remove a playground

Back