• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Council housing estate within College Rd Kingstanding Rd and Hawthorne road triangle

chrishillcox

Brummie babby
I'm trying to put a name to the council estate built in the later part of the 1920's within the triangle formed by College Road, Kingstanding Road, and Hawthorne Road. The estate was built around the same time as the adjacent Witton Lodge Farm (Perry Common) estate. Both pre date the main pulse of council house building on the Warren's farm and Kettle House farm estates in the Kingstanding area.

So far 'Blakeland' or 'Blakeland farm estate' or 'Warren Lodge estate' are two possibilities. As is the chance that it could be an extension of the Witton Lodge estate but it doesn't appear on any of the estate maps produced by Birmingham City Council.
Any help would be appreciated.
Chris Hillcox
www.kingstanding.wordpress.com

Re: Council housing estate within College Rd Kingstanding Rd and Hawthorne road trian

I always thought that this was a speculative building development not part of the Council development

Last edited:
Re: Council housing estate within College Rd Kingstanding Rd and Hawthorne road trian

I always called it "The Pheasy Estate", the part built buildings were used as an American Forces base during WW2. Len.

I always called it "The Pheasy Estate", the part built buildings were used as an American Forces base during WW2. Len.

Len not called the Pheasey Estate, the Pheasey is the other side of the Queslett rd that is

I always assumed this was part of Perry Common. Viv.

I think you my be thinking of The Warren Farm Estate. Dek

if you go to the handsworth history forum, you may well find some maps of the kingstanding area. for i used to work at trw on college road and found a lot to photoes arond college road from the 1930s when the estate was built

Blakeland road is just off the Kingstanding road on the left going up towards the Hawthorne road.

i think it was the wryley birch estate and you can walk through it to college rd as i recall many years ago
does any body recall charlie williams he worked at osrams gec for donkeys years he was a foreman there he retired about eight years ago but since then he as died i think it was the loss of his wife whom died just after his retirement there her name was daisy she worked at the midland red bus depot in sutton coldfield before she died she was also there for many years her daughter married a bus driver from there by the name of george they lived close on the wryley birch estate
about a six minutes walk through to the colledge arms pub ;
best wishes astonian

img348.jpg

Written on the back of this are the words; Blakelands Estate off Aldridge Road. 1934.

I used to live in Kingstanding, the area you are looking at was, i am sure, never a council estate, it was always private housing and may have already been built on when Birmingham acquired the land from Perry Barr Council when they went bust. I know that Kingstanding Rd as we now know it was called Holly Lane, nothing more than a dirt track. As for a name for the area i have never heard of it having it,s own specific name, there are a lot of old pic's and maps but none seem to be for that area, just around it and further out into the "new build" areas'. I know it isn't part of the Warren Farm Estate as that ends along the length of Hawthorn Rd and is bordered by Kingstanding Rd up to the Circle and College Rd as far as Finchly Rd, beyond that it is the New Oscott to Chester Rd. Looking at old maps it could quite easily have been part of Upper Witton, i hope you find something as it is interesting learning about it

bren

Thanks for the reply bren. It sounds like you lived locally. I wonder if you had time to recall any of your memories of the area in an audio recording? Cheers Chris H

hi there
going up to the circle and around there wouldnt hurlinham rd and surriunding roads in that quarter
and i always knew that the pheasey estate was at theold bus terimus up in great barr; which years ago was the old 29 bus ;
as i used to come up to hockley brook from aston cross on the old number 8 bus to get to hockley brook on a one penny fare
and catch the bus up to my auntie floss,s every siunday stay all day and until the evening and uncle doug would walk me up the hill
and put me on ythe bus which was always standing there on the clock bus drivers clock in and return to the city ;
this is in the very early fifties
best wishes astonian

A couple of posts on this thread have suggested the estate in question was not a council estate.My grandparents lived in Norbiton Road,Kingstanding for many years and their house was definately a coucil house.I have just had this confirmed by a family on Hawthorn Road near the Co-op .....the same property has only had one family occupy it with it being handed down over the generations.

Norbiton Road was built by the Council and is a Council estate, the estate this thread is referring to is on the other side of Hawthorn Road.

Norbiton is not in the area mentioned, you are thinking about the wrong side of Hawthorn. Opposite the Co-op is Warren Rd, it is this triangle we are on about Hawthorn/Kingstanding/College Roads. If you start at Perry Common Library, junction of College/Hawthorn Rd, straight up Hawthorn to Kingstanding Rd, turn left and down to College Rd, turn left again into College Rd and back up to the Crossways/Hawthorn. If that family you know on Hawthorn have been there that long there is a chance they might be able to put a name to this area

bren

Last edited:

Morturn and Bren thanks for putting me right regards previous posts......now the thread makes sense to me!Sadly my aunt who lived on Warren Road and could have shed some light on the subject died 12 months ago aged 89.Never the less I will inquire from other relatives living in the area for any answers and post accordingly.

I am interested in the early days (pre WW2) of social/council housing developments in the UK & came across your query. I noted that your aunt lived in Warren Road (what # - I lived at #49 for many years until I was married in 1964). If the area that you are interested in is the triangle between College Road & Kingstanding Road & SOUTH of Hawthorn Road then that is not a council house estate - it is a private development & built in the 1930's I think. Kingstanding council housing estate is north of Hawthorn Road.

Welcome KRA. Yes, housing to the west of Kingstanding Road was private housing. In fact if memory serves, Kingstanding Road itself was split; there was private housing along the west side of Kingstanding Road and municipal housing along the east side of the Kingstanding Road bordering the triangle.

Viv.

Back