• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Coulthard - Brick marriage

jjuj

master brummie
Hi, I am unable to find a marriage between James Coulthard & Hannah Brick about 1850. James was born Lancaster, Hannah Upton-upon-seven Worcester. Hannah Brick is the name I have on daughters birth cert 1858, if it is the correct one that I have!! The family lived in Birmingham from 1861 census onwards.
Appreciate any help you can give.

Jean

Hi Jean unusual name Coulthard. We had a family by that name living opposite in Holte road. The daughters name was Anne. TTFN. Jean.

Hannah Brick married Thomas Bentley at Cleobury Mortimer, 1st quarter 1850;

James Coulthard marriage possibilities include Hannah Taylor, Preston, 2nd quarter 1855 and Hannah Foster, Newcastle on Tyne, 2nd quarter 1857.

I can find no Coulthard, Colthard, Coultard or Coltard - Brick marriages at all in FreeBMD (1837-c1930)

Thank you Lloyd, I found Hannah Taylor as well. The problem is, have I wrong birth cert for daughter Sarah Jane [[Coalthard]]. It's the only one I could find for the date 1858. The address on the birth cert looks like Albion House, Ladywood Lane, Edgbaston!! The parents names are James & Hannah Coalthard [Brick]. Perhaps they were not married!!! to each other :)
Back to the drawing board again.

Jean
Hannah Brick married Thomas Bentley at Cleobury Mortimer, 1st quarter 1850;

James Coulthard marriage possibilities include Hannah Taylor, Preston, 2nd quarter 1855 and Hannah Foster, Newcastle on Tyne, 2nd quarter 1857.

I can find no Coulthard, Colthard, Coultard or Coltard - Brick marriages at all in FreeBMD (1837-c1930)

Hi Jean, Yes it is an unusual name. You would think they would be easy to track down!!!
Jean

Hi Jean unusual name Coulthard. We had a family by that name living opposite in Holte road. The daughters name was Anne. TTFN. Jean.

The 1861 census has, at back 44 Lee bank Road, Edgbaston (not far from Ladywood):
Hannah Colthard, 31, wife to Bricklayer's labourer (is that where the 'Brick' comment comes from?) born Worcester;
Mary A Colthard, 7, daughter, born Upton on Severn;
William J Colthard, 4, son, born Edgbaston;
Sarah J Colthard, 3, daughter, born Edgbaston;
Elizabeth A Colthard, 3 months, daughter, born Edgbaston.

There is no 'Head' of household present.

That's the correct family, and James was elusive at times. No the [Brick] ;) was mothers maiden name on Sarah Jane's birth cert. He was later a stone mason.
Jean

The 1861 census has, at back 44 Lee bank Road, Edgbaston (not far from Ladywood):
Hannah Colthard, 31, wife to Bricklayer's labourer (is that where the 'Brick' comment comes from?) born Worcester;
Mary A Colthard, 7, daughter, born Upton on Severn;
William J Colthard, 4, son, born Edgbaston;
Sarah J Colthard, 3, daughter, born Edgbaston;
Elizabeth A Colthard, 3 months, daughter, born Edgbaston.

There is no 'Head' of household present.

Mary A Coltheard, birth registered 1st quarter 1854 Upton on Severn vol 6c page 335
William J Colthard, birth registered - - - Can't find it.
Sarah Jane Colthard, birth registered 2nd quarter 1858 Kings Norton vol 6c page 402
Elizabeth Coltherd, birth registered 1st quarter 1861 Kings Norton vol 6c page 449

Note the different surname spellings!

Parts of Edgbaston and Ladywood were in Kings Norton registration district at the time.

Last edited:
Thanks Lloyd, That seems to be a problem, the variation in the spelling. This is the cert I have for Sarah Jane, but mothers name is Hannah Brick. But as we cannot find a Coulthard - Brick marriage, maybe [[unthinkable]] I am chasing the wrong family. Though Sarah Jane is my g grandmother, and her being born [Birmingham] is consistant in censuses following her marriage my g grandfather william green in 1884.
Think I will go to bed before I scream.
Jean

Mary A Coltheard, birth registered 1st quarter 1854 Upton on Severn vol 6c page 335
William J Colthard, birth registered - - - Can't find it.
Sarah Jane Colthard, birth registered 2nd quarter 1858 Kings Norton vol 6c page 402
Elizabeth Coltherd, birth registered 1st quarter 1861 Kings Norton vol 6c page 449

Note the different surname spellings!

Parts of Edgbaston and Ladywood were in Kings Norton registration district at the time.

I think you may need to order one of the other children's birth certificate , I had to buy 7 birth certificates to sort out one of my wife's families

Back