• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Could this be somewhere in Birmingham

laventie

Brummie babby
Hello

Could this photography be somewhere in Birmingham, above the door of the tea&coffe house is the name A.E.Bishop regt milk shop and at the bottom of the keystone table waters sign it says Lennox street aston.

thanks
Tony

PLEASE NOTE:- this member does not wish this image to be copied/used without his permission.

Attachments

• 116.jpg
    116.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited by a moderator:
what a cracking photo...hard to tell if the shop is just advertising keystone table waters of lennox st or if the photo is actually taken in lennox st...a little bit of research is needed..maybe a kellys look up for the little gem tea and coffee house will help...lennox st which was between guildford st and wheeler st was on a quite an incline which looks to be the case in the pic..

thanks for posting

lyn

Last edited:
I suspect that it is not in Lennox St, Keystone Steam Bottling Co mineral water manufactures were at 98 Lennox St (1912) in the same directory there is a
Bishop Eliza (Mrs) dining rooms, 14 Chester St

Hello

Could this photography be somewhere in Birmingham, above the door of the tea&coffe house is the name A.E.Bishop regt milk shop and at the bottom of the keystone table waters sign it says Lennox street aston.

thanks
Tony

In the 1909 directory there is a
14 Chester St Bishop Albert dinning rooms I suspect that may be the A in A and E Bishop (till proved other)

I suspect that it is not in Lennox St, Keystone Steam Bottling Co mineral water manufactures were at 98 Lennox St (1912) in the same directory there is a
Bishop Eliza (Mrs) dining rooms, 14 Chester St

The same in 1912, But in 1908 & 1910 it is Albert Bishop, dining rooms, 14, Chester St (not in 1905). So picture is likely to have been taken during his occupation

Hi,

It will almost certainly be in Birmingham or near surroundings.
When I was at R. White's there was a saying that mineral waters
don't travel.
If you remember that the bottle deposit used to be even in the 1950's
more than the price of the pop, it had to be sold locally as delivering it any
distance just wasn't financially viable.
Fruit juices and squashes were a different matter.

Kind regards

Dave

nice bit of detective work mike and horsencart i shall now save the pic and rename it chester st aston...

many thanks

lyn

I have now since looked at the census and Deaths for 1911,and can confirm Mr Albert Bishop died in 1911, head of family is Eliza Bishop living at 14 Chester Street working as a sugar boiler with her are son James age 19 and Daughter May aged 13. As mikejee said the photo was taken sometime before 1911.

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry tony i didnt realise it was a family/private photo..i shall remove it from from photos saved...again many apologies...

lyn

Last edited:
Back