• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cottage Homes Coleshill 1901

tresario

master brummie
Has anyone heard of these homes please. Can you tell me where you can find the records to look at them..

I know the Cottage Homes Erdington, but never heard of these other ones. I had lost a family in 1901 census and they have apparently turned up here..:(
Regards
Bernie

Go to Ancestry.co.uk
Click on "1901 census"
At the bottom of the page, click "1901 England census"
Scroll down & click "Warwickshire"
Click on "Coleshill"
There you'll find "District Cottage Homes."

Name
Cottage homes

Description
For children removed by Birmingham board of guardians from their Birmingham workhouse

Where situated
Marston Green, Coleshill

Last edited:
Hi Teserio, the Cottage Homes in Coleshill did not open till August 1925, they were situated on the Father Hudson's Catholic Home Site, inbetween St Edward's Boys Home and St Joan's Girls Home. They were all part of the Birmingham Diocesan Rescue Society, which was set up by Bishop Ilsley in 1902 with Father Hudson as secretary.

hello bernie
The cottage Homes were part of the Father Hudsons homes complex based in Coleshill Warwickshire.Any family records will be held by The Father Hudsons society still based in Coleshill.They have their own website. The Marston Green Homes were established prior to the construction of Father Hudson's homes..The First Homes in Coleshill
St Pauls were built at the bottom of the high st,later called St Annes after the central school was built next door.

hia Bernie,
The Cottage homes were Part of the "Father Hudsons Homes Complex" in Coleshill Warwickshire.If you contact The Father Hudsons Society which is still based there,and have their own website ,they should be able to help
Hope that helps
best wishes morris116

The census returns for 1891 and 1901 show the cottage homes, Coleshill and the St Paul's homes (Father Hudson establishment) as separate. The cottage homes were for pauper children from the Birmingham workhouse. They may have been the cottage homes at Marston Green but not the Father Hudson homes I think.

hello, your correct with cottage homes located in Marston Green, however there was a block of buildings between the church and infants school at Father Hudson's homes called the Cottage Homes. I know because I was at Father Hudson's for Nine years.I have heard that there were Cottage homes located in Erdington at one ,however not sure of that.

Thanks for the information about Coleshill. I know there was a home in Erdington which was for children whose parents worked on canal boats. There were probably other cottage homes elsewhere as they started to be built at the end of the 19th century. The Erdington place started to be used by boat children in the 1940s. I'm not sure exactly where it was.

I'm currently researching family who in 1911 were listed as inmates at the Marston Green homes. On the 1911 census the home is listed as Marston Green Homes for Children, Coleshill Heath, Coleshill (St Peter & St Paul), Rural district Meriden Nr Birmingham.

Birmingham Central Library hold the records (appointment needed)- although some, due to sensitive information are closed for 100 yrs. Advisable to phone to see if the records you need are available.

Elly

Hi, doing some research for my Dad who's almost 80. His memory is a bit vague, but he thinks he stayed in St Edwards home for boys with his two brothers (before the child abuse scandal) which was run by nuns would be around 1940 (aged 7) until he left at 15 to work. But he also remembers a school which he thinks was St Pauls, the playground was bombed during the war and shattered the glass and there used to be an orchard across the playing field/playground. I expect it's been knocked down and built on now. He remembers the names of two Nuns Sister Rose and a Sister Emerencia (don't know if that's correct) and in the school teachers he remembers are Ms Morell & 'Pop' Regan or Reagan. I can only find derelict pictures of St Edwards and nothing of the school. I do intend to write on his behalf for records from Father Hudson Homes. Any information/photos/stories from that time period would be great.

Back