• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cottage Baths

Morturn

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know that Birmingham had a number of Cottage Baths, this one in Lower Dartmouth Street is a fine example.

IMG_1063.JPG

how refreshing to see the baths still there mort...must get a closer look when time permits:)

I have not heard of the places before. A web search only brings up holidays and plumbing!! :eek:
I knew of Public Baths, Sparkhill and Monument Road for instance.

Well spotted Pedrocut. I have dropped an email to Historic England just asking the question about a possible listing. The current owners have changed very little, which is great, but times and owners do change.

Thank you Janice, I was going to do a search to see how many had been set up in Birmingham. You saved me a task.
The picture below is on the Brearley Street thread on the Forum.
index.php

Last edited:
Baths were still being been opened in March 1936, and more were to come according to this Birmingham Daily Gazette article. The St George's one was created by a conversion of a building, but there was talk of purpose-built ones too. Viv.

image.jpeg

This Cottage Bath was in Bacchus Road - image from 1950. Opened in 1912. The live-in attendant had a separate entrance. The railings disappeared to help the war effort.

Screenshot_20240204_185848_Chrome.jpg

And a drawing of the buildingnwith railings from the website link in Janice's post #7. Extracted from that site :
"Bacchus Road, Winson Green, with thirteen baths for men and thirteen for women. At Bacchus Road, use was made of an old property fronting the site, but this was converted as a Ticket Office and for accommodation for the Attendants, the actual bathrooms being constructed at the rear of the premises".

Screenshot_20240208_115756_Chrome.jpg

Back