• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

costermonger pub

i believe that all of that shopping square is ear marked for demo during the next few years...shame if costers goes

lyn

First visited the Costermongers in 1972. Also that year my first visit to The Hole in the Wall,just around the corner. My mate worked in a camera shop nearby,we'd go and quench a lunchtime thirst in one or both of them.He ocasionally got ticked off because he had to go back to work but as I was on leave I stayed until closing time :yum :joy:

Nodd the smug.

This update to the thread made me dig out my image for The Costermonger and clean it up for my website. I have not uploaded it to the site but here it is.

birmingham-costermonger.jpg

I see that quite a few of you went to this place - you would have passed this panel as it was facing outwards between the two doors. It was layered/textured so may have been in plaster [like Pargeting] but was beneath a perspex panel, hence the reflection that spoils the image a little. Still, a nice pictorial addition to what was otherwise a fairly ordinary exterior.

ahh now i can put a firm year when i used to go to costers...this song was in the charts and always reminds me of this pub year was 71...happy carefree days

i believe that all of that shopping square is ear marked for demo during the next few years...shame if costers goes

lyn
There has been that threat for years.

I've been going to Costers for over 30 years and every so often there'd be the 'well, it's all going to be redeveloped in 2 years time' rumour & nothing has come of it.......yet! :joy:

I first used the costermonger late 60,s friend of mine worked as barman (eric). It hadn,t been open long so it was quite posh very quiet.

Great to see all the views on the Costas. It was one of the pub round on a Friday and Sat night for me and friends Gary and co. In the mix was Costas, Mr Bills, ? a couple in between but always ending with Bogarts and Golden Lion? bottom of hill St....as I recall, lol. 1970/80's dare I say the best years of my, lol. It seems pretty clear that a few of the people posting would have been rubbing shoulders in these pubs in the 70's. I find that fascinating. Great Forum.

Last edited:
Great to see all the views on the Costas. It was one of the pub round on a Friday and Sat night for me and friends Gary and co. In the mix was Costas, Mr Bills, ? a couple in between but always ending with Bogarts and Golden Lion? bottom of hill St....as I recall, lol. 1970/80's dare I say the best years of my, lol. It seems pretty clear that a few of the people posting would have been rubbing shoulders in these pubs in the 70's. I find that fascinating. Great Forum.
Mr Bills was great. Used to go there in the 80's Saturday lunchtime then get chips & sit in pigeon park waiting for Costers to open of an evening.

Pretty sure Costers will be one of my first ports of call when the lockdown restrictions are over!

who knows judi i may bump into you as its a pub i want to re visit while its still there :)

lyn

Mid 1980's to early 90's I used to go to Costers most weekends, and then on to Eddies, it was a great rock pub. It closed in 2009, but re-opened again in 2018, but unfortunately it now appears to be a victim of Covid lockdowns and doesn't appear to be re-opening again .. at the moment anyway. I last went in there February 2020 on the way to a gig.

Back