• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cost of football match

G

glaciermint

I've heard people saying that the working man is getting priced out of football which got me thinking. Can you remember how much you paid to watch a match when you first started going? Sadly I can't remember what I would have paid, early 60s but I dug out one of my old Blues season tickets from 1969-70 The cost £2 12 6d (£2.62) FOR THE WHOLE SEASON.

I know Villa and now Blues have been doing special season ticket deals for youngsters but I wouldn't mind betting that the cost of watching now has far outstripped inflation since the late 60s

Bob

As kids, we would wait until the second half had kicked off and the officals would open the gates and let us in for nothing

Good posting Bob ,

Costs to support football teams have soared very high in recent years &
they bring out New strips almost every season,,adding to expense of all supporters,

ps ,,How can Blues justify charging more for tickets than the Villa ?
How can they charge Premiership prices after relegation ?
Good luck to all supporters who can afford to go,,,
Cheers JohnY

You're on dangerous ground with those last few questions John - you know who to ask, but I don't think you'll get a decent answer. It will be interesting to see what the crowds at St Andrews are in the early part of the season

I would pay 6d Witton End in late 40s early 50s for a Villa match

!970s £2.70 Adults & Children Witton Stand.

Next 6 years Free, Directors Boxes as I worked for a Football Club since then never ever been to a match and wouldn't.

On the subject of the cost of seeing a match, I also cannot remember what I first paid, but then again, it was in 1961, and I was only 12. But I got to searching some of my old Blues mementoes, and came across these; Blues v Huddersfield Town, 6th Rd F.A.Cup 1972 price 30p., Blues v Villa 1976 cost 70p, or how about Blues v Fulham at Hillsborough in 1975, the Semi-Final, cost £1.00, and what about Blues v Celtic in the Centenary Match in Nov.1975, cost 70p. Different times in them days. Barry.

Blues have reduced their season tickets by 10% for 08/09. I've just paid for our 3 tickets .... adult £607, OAP concession £303, child (10 yr old) £303 making a total of £1213. It's an expensive hobby these days! In most other parts of the ground, you can, like at Villa, get a child/student ST for £99.

As Alf said, it was 6d for kids and 1/- for adults in 47/52 but many would get in for free at half-time. In 1985, the adult charge was £5 per game.

The reason for Villa's lower prices is that Villa Park holds more seats than St Andrew's so they can afford lower charges - at least that's what David Sullivan tells me!

Blues are struggling to attract renewals this year and have so far only sold around 8000 ST's.

I don't think the same excuse can be used for programme prices though - £2.50 at Villa and £3.50 at Blues. A real rip-off!

Villa opened their ground at Wellington Road September 30th 1876 versus Wednesbury Town the first gate receipts realised 5/3d the admission charge was 3d so inflation has taken place! Perry Barr was a busy village in those days with a toll gate Horses and traps were in evidence in conveying supporters to the games . The players changed at the Blacksmiths opposite the ground Link up soon WAK

During the early 70s there was very little difference between the price of a Saturday trip to the Blues in the afternoon and a visit to the flicks in the evening. Just look at the difference now.

With the help of Karen Brady these "prairie hats" put the price of watching football at St Andrews sky high. Len.

I can remember when my neighbour Brian went to Pride Park, he said "How much ? the gateman said £20 , Brian said "£20 I could get a woman for that !!
the gateman said said Yes, but you wouldnt get 45 minutes each war and a brass band at half time. Bernard

First the rich stole opera from the working masses, its a weeks wages for a cheap seat now. They are pretty close to taking football away from us. Our pubs have been closing down at a fantastic rate, so we'll completely lose our affiliation, to darts, pool, dominoes, cribbage and bar skittles. I don't want to assume anything here but, am I alone in smelling a conspiracy.

Hi Brian, I think we talked about this before on the forum, my next door neighbour went to Pride Park just after it was
opened "How much" the gateman said £30, B-----dy Hell,!. I could get a woman for that!! the gateman, "Yes sir, but
you wouldnt 45 minutes each way and the Matlock Silver Band at half time cheers now Bernard(sorry old men have a habit ot repeating themselfs)

Last edited:
i have just ordered tickets for west brom blues match away they are £40 each and you have to make your own way there

notice i used blue ink

i have just ordered tickets for west brom blues match away they are £40 each and you have to make your own way there

notice i used blue ink
Hi, no blue ink sorry, I can remember just before the war, must have been about 1937 pestering my older brother to
take me to St Andrews, in the end he said OK, but I am not paying for ya! I said how much is it, Ninepence,! Oh Happy Days
Bernard

Bernard. Who would have thought you could see the pride of the Midlands for only Ninepence. I first watched the Blues in 1961, but unfortunately I cant remember how much I paid.

As a youngster i remember seeing Villa beat Leicester 8-3 Easter 63....I recall it was a shilling to stand on the Witton end...
I remember this because i said to my mate........That was great value.....About a penny a goal!!!
Things were definately better back then............

Back