• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Corporation Street

Hi Sylvia - Yes its almost impossible to trace Irish ancestors. I did visit Donegal a couple of years ago and by contacting a very friendly vicar (Church of Ireland) was able to look at the original parish registers where I only managed to get back to just before 1830 (he had no records before that). He just left us in his sitting room with all these priceless documents while he went out and cut the grass! This was for Irish g.grandparents on my fathers side.

For my B'ham RC Irish I was able to look at the film for St Chads at my local LDS Centre where I was lucky to find births of the children, but was unable to trace the family back to Ireland as I only had 'Roscommon' to go on. Its a virtually impossible task to trace back in Ireland.

Judy

Judy, one of things on my "list to do" is to make contact with St. Chad's in Birmingham to see whether I can find more details of my Birmingham Irish family.

Sylvia - It's very satisfying to find your family in the records, isn't it? I was searching for my Martin family for years in the CofE records as my 2 x g.grandparents from Ireland married at St Martins. My last attempt was to try St Chads and there they all were! Good luck in your search. Judy

Judy, have you tried this, Go to Google----- put into your search bar-------- Roscommon Forum-------- you will find some sites there. good luck

London Prentice Street(Dalton Streeet)

Hi

Still marching on with my Irish Family via Ancestory.
have spent hours searching for the McCann side of my
Moms family.
Her Grand Mother was recorded as Annie McCann prior to her
Marriage to Thomas Moran.
Today I tried again and noticed a split on the census recorders
in another McCann listing.
Out of the mists of time Annie McCann appeared.
Recorded in the 1881 living at 19 London Prentice Street
She at 19 is listed as an Umbrella Maker
Her Father James is listed as a Brush Maker.
The 1871 Census records them living at Dale End.
Thanks for all the info on this Thread.
Have attached the census page for info.

Mike Jenks

sorry I have no source for census pages

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, our ancestors probably knew each other as my great grandparents (both of Irish descent) lived at 42 London Prentice Street. My g.grandma's father born Co.Mayo was also an umbrella maker - wonder where the factory was.

Back