• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Corporation Street

horsencart

master brummie
Edit, please note, unfortunately the images referred to below are no longer available.

So any road I was stumbling down Corparation St as is my wish when I saw a hole in the road being nosey I had a look and this is what I saw
This is a closer butchers hook now I think that this is/was a Victorian storm drain and the was this was its first time in the daylight since the brickwork was built, sadly it now appears that it may be the last time the brickwork will be seen as the hole has now a load of conrete on the top of I now think that the brickwork may not be Victorian but earlier enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Corparation St Victorian Brickwork

Haven't come across the deLoyde brickworks before.
Sorry, could not resist that. In these particular pictures your mark comes out stronger than the actual subject.

First time I've found a storm drain interesting. Wondering if it was put in when Corpn St was cut through. Looks nice and clean, not what I'd have expected, or maybe the workmen have cleaned it up. Viv.

Hi ,
I am looking for premises from the 1970's corner of Corporation Street and Union Street the shop was England Shoes I would like to know what was next door to it please ,all i can remember was a doorway and stairs and when you climbed them it was like a clothes warehouse, I have asked a few people they all remember it but can't think of the name, it was nearly opposite Cherry Street. Somebody said it will be listed in Kellys directories but i don't know if that is correct. Hope someone can help. Sandra

Hi Sandra,

The only warehouse in that locality was the ABC warehouse located at 34b Corporation Street.

Hi Phil, Thanks for your quick reply, Sorry i didn't realise we had posted on two threads. Yes you are right the ABC rings a bell. I have replied on the other thread as well. Thanks again Sandra.

image.jpeg image.jpeg There's 55 years difference between these two photos, but very little has (surprisingly) changed on this section of Corporation Street. Although I notice the very tall chimney stacks on top of the chemist's building have been removed. The first photo is from 1961 photo and compared with present day Streetview. Viv.

Everything on the right is under scaffolding Viv. Stonework restoration I think.

Boston Tea Party is still at that corner. Many of the units further down are to let.

Here's another early 1960s photo of the same location, which I posted in another thread a few years ago-to do with the Asian restaurants topic.

This one has just a bit more period detail, the Austin A40 (remember them?) on this occasion with an 'L' plate tied onto the grill. Remember the palaver we learners in those days had trying to stop the blinking things snapping and falling off?

The title on my photo refers to Winters' veg shop on the right. Please no requests to identify where we saw a carrot like THAT in 1960!
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/license/3364697

Thanks Ell. I remember the building when it was the chemists. The wooden sign around the building with Associated Chemists on must have preserved the stonework underneath. When I was last there that stonework underneath the old sign had, I think, "WINES", "SPIRITS" etc and something else above the door carved into the stonework which would probably date back to when the building was first built. So I guess it was once a pub or off-licence. Viv.

Viv
It was The Court Restaurant in the 1932 Kellys and the c1950 OS map, though in the c1950 OS map it is also listed as a public house. In the 1921 Kellys it is the Marshall Foch Hotel

Yes Sandra
Phil is correct it was the AbC clothing ware house open to the public and you could buy a man,s
Suit for ten Bob , ten shillings
And my sister in law whom also is named Sandra used to work there and my second oldest brother
Whom as passed away about 18 months ago got married to him and eloped to Greta green
To get married and have kids
Best wishes Astonian,,,

This Midland Metro photo of mine on Corporation Street was in last weeks Birmingham Mail.

Only the Lewis's Building and the tower of Central Methodist Hall, plus the Victorian shop frontages survive from olden times.

Noticed this morning that the scaffolding on Corporation Street around Boston Tea Party and Pizza Express is coming down. The stonework looked good. Didn't take a photo though. Might wait for all the scaffolding to be removed.

New photos taken today of the buildings on Corporation that are now occupied (on the ground floor) by Pizza Express (Citadel Chambers) and Boston Tea Party (Court Restaurant)

Nicely done Pizza Express and Boston Tea Party! The exterior changes don't dominate the building. Viv.

Both were still open through the many months of the restoration. The last of the scaffolding came down a couple of days ago.

My photos from today.

Attachments

• 15-07-15 009.JPG
    15-07-15 009.JPG
    362.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 15-07-15 005.JPG
    15-07-15 005.JPG
    840.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 15-07-15 008.JPG
    15-07-15 008.JPG
    676 KB · Views: 49
My photos from today.
Hi All,
As a police oficer and first posted to Steelhouse Lane Police Station I was told that if you stand at the junction of Corporation Street and New Street for long enough you will see every inhabitant of the city walk by. I am sure that is correct but God knows how long you would have to stand there.
Old Boy

Back